Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Dream it, Do it.
    Reputation: Spectre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,459

    Just posted a review of the Orbea Rallon

    I just posted some ride impressions of the Rallon at: https://www.dirtmerchantbikes.com/sp...s-150mm-travel

    The Rallon was an absolute rocket going downhill, but I wouldn't choose it for all-day rides. For my climbing ability, it's probably better for shuttle rides or lift-serviced bike parks.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

  2. #2
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    30,409
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    I just posted some ride impressions of the Rallon at: https://www.dirtmerchantbikes.com/sp...s-150mm-travel

    The Rallon was an absolute rocket going downhill, but I wouldn't choose it for all-day rides. For my climbing ability, it's probably better for shuttle rides or lift-serviced bike parks.
    Linky no work.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    2,365
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Linky no work.
    https://www.dirtmerchantbikes.com/sp...s-150mm-travel

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Dream it, Do it.
    Reputation: Spectre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,459
    Thx, fixed the link.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WHALENARD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,365
    1 star for climbing is a head scratcher. I live for big backcountry days. I'm riding harder deeper into big rides and ending less fatigued on big rides that I've been riding for years across many many bikes.

    Care to expand why it didn't climb well for you? Given the relatively trail oriented tires perhaps the X2 was sinking in it's travel climbing?
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    153
    I think I would give the downhill bike I rented in whistler at least 1.5 stars for climbing

  7. #7
    Dream it, Do it.
    Reputation: Spectre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,459
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    1 star for climbing is a head scratcher. I live for big backcountry days. I'm riding harder deeper into big rides and ending less fatigued on big rides that I've been riding for years across many many bikes.

    Care to expand why it didn't climb well for you? Given the relatively trail oriented tires perhaps the X2 was sinking in it's travel climbing?
    The bike just felt surprisingly sluggish when climbing for me. I had ridden a bunch of other bikes that day and the Rallon was the 3rd of 5 bikes I rode. In comparison to the other bikes, the Rallon felt particularly slow climbing. I was pretty surprised given that the Aggressor tires aren't too slow rolling.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EatsDirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    915
    A couple of my friends as well as most magazine reviews disagree with you... seems the bike pedals well according to most.

  9. #9
    Dream it, Do it.
    Reputation: Spectre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,459
    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post
    A couple of my friends as well as most magazine reviews disagree with you... seems the bike pedals well according to most.
    I read that as well in multiple reviews and did take a moment to think back about whether anything in my test ride experience might have affected my perceptions of the Rallon's climbing ability.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

  10. #10
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    30,409
    Very few bikes come with coil shocks these days and IME, they always feel more sluggish, compared to the same bike that you can mount an air shock. I know that's true for my bike. Eventually, better suspension won out for me, but more movement definitely makes it more sluggish uphill. It's a good thing that this bike comes with a coil IMO, but unfortunate that it'll be compared to air-shock bikes for climbing...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    The bike just felt surprisingly sluggish when climbing for me.
    Could be setup or something else, I had no problems climbing on demo Rallon at Moab, but I did switch shock to the climbing mode and I had air shock without coil.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,423
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Very few bikes come with coil shocks these days and IME, they always feel more sluggish, compared to the same bike that you can mount an air shock. I know that's true for my bike. Eventually, better suspension won out for me, but more movement definitely makes it more sluggish uphill. It's a good thing that this bike comes with a coil IMO, but unfortunate that it'll be compared to air-shock bikes for climbing...
    I don't know if the active feeling of the coil is really responsible for the sluggish climbing on the Rallon. I know of another Spanish bike that climbs like a bat outta Hell with a coil and 150mm rear travel.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EatsDirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    915
    Another buddy just picked one up and threw a push coil on. He's coming coming off a push coil wreckoning, and says the Rallon is magnitudes more efficient. He's gushing about how great a pedaler it is...

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jazzanova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,101
    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post
    Another buddy just picked one up and threw a push coil on. He's coming coming off a push coil wreckoning, and says the Rallon is magnitudes more efficient. He's gushing about how great a pedaler it is...
    I am afraid anything will be magnitudes more efficient compared to the Wreckoning...

    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    224
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    I just posted some ride impressions of the Rallon at: https://www.dirtmerchantbikes.com/sp...s-150mm-travel

    The Rallon was an absolute rocket going downhill, but I wouldn't choose it for all-day rides. For my climbing ability, it's probably better for shuttle rides or lift-serviced bike parks.
    How many threads do you need to link this questionable review in?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    2,365
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    I am afraid anything will be magnitudes more efficient compared to the Wreckoning...

    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    I didnít feel the Push gave up much to the X2 on mine. The DHX2 was a hot mess though.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skinnybex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    2,124
    Between his 1 star climbing rating for the Rallon and also giving the Yeti SB4.5 a 2.5 star rating for cornering and handling while he gave the Yeti SB100 5 stars has me seriously questioning his review thoughts. I can tell you first hand that the SB4.5 corners and handles extremely well and is basically neck and neck with the SB100.

    The Rallon is an excellent pedaling bike thats effecient and exhibits very little wallow even run wide open. I see he had the X2 fit on the bike so assuming the sag was set properly for his weight I'd expect nothing less than a 3-3.5 star rating.

    Opinions are always welcomed but saying the bike is basically a dual crown DH bike for climbing which 1 star would indicate is just Ignorance.
    Yeti SB130
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Ibis Ripmo
    Yeti SB4.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EatsDirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    915
    It's kinda crazy such nonsense is actually posted representing a bike shop.

Similar Threads

  1. Orbea Rallon 2018 Ride Review
    By skinnybex in forum Orbea
    Replies: 644
    Last Post: 6 Days Ago, 08:07 AM
  2. back in the saddle, and eyeng a CL Orbea Rallon 3
    By djren12 in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-13-2014, 05:21 AM
  3. Orbea Rallon Fork
    By DakarNick in forum Orbea
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-29-2012, 05:31 PM
  4. Paid Spam Orbea Rallon 2011 150mm travel
    By Relayden in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-20-2011, 10:29 PM
  5. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-12-2011, 08:49 AM

Members who have read this thread: 132

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.