Jeffsy 27 vs Capra- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Jeffsy 27 vs Capra

Hello,

I just received my brand new YT Capra Al Comp. I originally bought the Capra because the Jeffsy was only available with 29 inch wheels. The day after I ordered my Capra, YT released Jeffsy 27. Capra is a bit of an overkill for me and I want to know if it's worth exchanging it for the Jeffsy? I have 2 week period for this and I want to make the decision before March. The main concern for me is the pedalling. Would there be a night and day difference in terms of pedalling between these two bikes? My Capra pedals relatively well, I'm quite satisfied with the pedalling ability of this bike, but how much better would the Jeffsy pedal (in your opinion)? And do you think the 400g difference in weight would make a significant difference? Would you bother packing the bike back up and sending it back to YT? This is a very serious decision for me as 3k euros is a lot of money, you don't want to spend that kind of money and not be happy. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

P.S just to clear up - 150mm travel of the Jeffsy would be enough for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    A buddy of mine has the capra and he loves it. It's his one do it all bike for pedaling locally and park so he doesn't mind its shortcomings.

Your question is harder to answer than a yes or no. Side by side geometry comparison may give you your answers. 66/66.5 head angle on Jeffsy may not feel as squirrelly as the 65 on the Capra. Seat tube angles are are almost identical. Reach is also a bit longer on the jeffsy so your pedaling position will be slightly more stretched with some more weight biased forward. The bb drop is also a bit more on the jeffsy. This is great for cornering leverage and having an in the bike feel.

from how you describe what you are wanting, it seems like the jeffsy is a bit more for you.

mtbr member
    I don't have a Jeffsy or Capra...but I do have a Banshee that's 140 rear and 150 front. For me...that amount of travel is more than enough for my local trails, bike parks, and shuttle runs. I have yet to feel that there is not enough travel. Why have all that travel when you aren't really going to make use for it? IMO...people seem to want more travel "just in case". Problem with that is those just in case moments are few and far between. If I lived next to a bike park or rode steep fast chunder all the time...then I would take the longer travel bike.

You just need to be realistic with your riding. A member posted a real true statement about people that buy mountain bikes these days. It was something along the lines of people buying bikes based on the image they want to project...but not actually on how they ride. I've seen guys in full DH gear on full blown DH bikes at the local fire road rides. Lol...sorry that may have been a bit off topic.

Go with your gut. If you think the Jeffsy 27 is the right choice...then go for it...or you may be nut punching yourself later for not doing it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    If you plan on any Park days or Shuttling DH, keep the Capra, if not, get the Jeffsey.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by TugboatComplex View Post
    If you plan on any Park days or Shuttling DH, keep the Capra, if not, get the Jeffsey.
    In short, this is also how I feel.

I think the Jeffsy (who chose that name by the way?) would handle a bike park a couple times a year just fine though. Besides the travel, the geometry is pretty similar to enduro bikes from other companies. And not sure you're going to miss 1cm at that.

To be clear, which model Jeffsy are you getting? The CF Pro Race does have 160mm travel, but that's the top model, and all others have 150mm.
    Last edited by gckless; 02-25-2017 at 06:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I'm thinking about exchanging my Capra Al Comp for the Jeffsy Al One. I like my Capra a lot, but the Jeffsy is probably a more sensible choice. Again, how much better do you think the Jeffsy would pedal in comparisson to the Capra? Would there be a night and day difference between these bikes? This is the only reason I'm considering the Jeffsy anyway.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Without riding each, I'm just speculating. I've got some time on a carbon Capra, and it pedals well, but going off of geo, the Jeffsey has to be the better peddler and climber. It's science. And like gckless said, the Jeffsey can handle park days hear n there just fine. My old man rides his Process 134 at trestle no problem. The fact that you are even questioning the two bikes tells me you should be on the Jeffsey tbh.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Or just keep the Capra and buy a badass aggressive hardtail to rip your less demanding trails. That's what I did, best decision I've ever made with mtb.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by TugboatComplex View Post
    Or just keep the Capra and buy a badass aggressive hardtail to rip your less demanding trails. That's what I did, best decision I've ever made with mtb.
    Well I do have a hardtail. It started off as an XC hardtail but with my upgrades it is a bit more that. (2.4 inch tires, riser bars, 1x drivetrain and etc.) the fork is only 120mm travel and it is on the lower end. The head angle is pretty steep too.

P.S now that I think about it, I really do like my Capra. I just do not know if it is worth packaging the bike and sending it back if the difference in pedaling isn't going to be significant.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    first ride impressions of Jeffsy 27
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/yt-jef...irst-ride.html

Review of Jeffsy 29. I know this bike is not on your radar, but ride comparison should be similar between same model name bikes. Which after skimming the review, it sounds like it is.
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/yt-jef...view-2017.html

Review of Capra.
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/yt-cap...view-2015.html

As Tugboat already said, with you questioning your purchase already it sounds like your mind is made up on which bike you should have. Would it be worth the time and effort to pack it up and ship it back for an exchange? To me and getting exactly what I want, yes, it would be.