Intense Sniper Trail Foundation vs Niner Jet 9 RDO Step 2- Mtbr.com

View Poll Results: Which bike do you prefer?

Voters
5. This poll is closed
  • Intense Sniper Trail Foundation Build

2 40.00%
  • Niner Jet 9 RDO Step 2

0 0%
  • Other

3 60.00%
    mtbr member
    May 2018

Intense Sniper Trail Foundation vs Niner Jet 9 RDO Step 2

I've been looking for a new XC/Trail bike for the last month. Researched lots of bikes. Want carbon frame, want 29'ers, want full suspension. I ride about 90% of the time on XC terrain but have access to DH nearby. I initially bought a Santa Cruz 5010 D+ build but hated it on the XC terrain. Slow on the flats and climbs, I was way behind. And what's the point of trying to chug through 1000 feet of elevation just to descend in a couple of minutes. I want to get up there quicker. Descent was nice though. My middle ground is an aggressive XC, edging on Trail bike. The Intense Sniper Trail 120/120 caught my eye and then I read a lot of posts on here criticizing the lack of a bracket, the bearings and the derailleur hanger nut. Intense says that is only 2% of their builds. The bike is light (26.4 lbs) and fast, can climb and everyone seems to like it unless they have problems, which if they can be fixed, they'll love it. I'm still a little cautious. The other bike I'm looking at is the Niner Jet 9 RDO, it looks like it is slightly on the side of a trail bike at 130/120 and a bit heavier at 30lbs. What are your scholarly opinions?

I can't test ride the Intense, no one carries them around here. I can go ride the Niner, but just learned about it this morning. Price is comparable Intense 3500, Niner 3600.

mtbr member
    Hmmm, the 5010 is no XC racer, but itís certainly not a slow lumbering pig either.

If you find yourself ďway behindĒ on the climbs, I donít think losing 10mm of suspension travel, carbon frame, and changing to 29er wheels will magically bring you back in the pack. Maybe try some faster rolling tires before getting a whole new bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Here is the thing. Intense says 2% or whatever, but they are still shipping bikes without the added brace. That is still 2 of every 100 sold, and I don't want to play "wait and see if it gets loose" with a bike at this price range. On top of that they will not ship a new brace until you get the bike and then fill out a "warranty" form online if you want one. In addition, there have been rumours about further delays of the braces even if you want to buy them with your own money. If you are the 2 in 100 or whatever, then once things are loose, the brace doesn't look like it will just fix the shifted bearings. You need a suspension link first, or maybe even other parts too. So if I get a new link and it is really only 2%, then why do I now need a brace? Because I'm unlucky and I might be the 2% a second time. No, it is because it needs a brace. The logic from Intense is just a little out of alignment here.
    I'm further worried that the brace is not the final solution. The rep here on MTBR has already stated that an upgraded rear will be included on a new Sniper in the future.

I know they just had a death in the company, but I'd wait a month or two and see how things look later if you are really thinking a Sniper is the answer.

Based on your description, I think a Pivot Mach SL (2020) fits the bill if you really think a more efficient climbing bike is the magic solution.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by adaycj View Post
    Here is the thing. Intense says 2% or whatever, but they are still shipping bikes without the added brace. That is still 2 of every 100 sold, and I don't want to play "wait and see if it gets loose" with a bike at this price range. On top of that they will not ship a new brace until you get the bike and then fill out a "warranty" form online if you want one. In addition, there have been rumours about further delays of the braces even if you want to buy them with your own money. If you are the 2 in 100 or whatever, then once things are loose, the brace doesn't look like it will just fix the shifted bearings. You need a suspension link first, or maybe even other parts too. So if I get a new link and it is really only 2%, then why do I now need a brace? Because I'm unlucky and I might be the 2% a second time. No, it is because it needs a brace. The logic from Intense is just a little out of alignment here.
    I'm further worried that the brace is not the final solution. The rep here on MTBR has already stated that an upgraded rear will be included on a new Sniper in the future.

I know they just had a death in the company, but I'd wait a month or two and see how things look later if you are really thinking a Sniper is the answer.

Based on your description, I think a Pivot Mach SL (2020) fits the bill if you really think a more efficient climbing bike is the magic solution.
    Itís not an upgraded rear end; itís a stiffer rear end for heavier riders than you would normally see on a 100mm XC race bike.

Some might call that an upgrade. Others would call it overly heavy and stiffer than needed for their intended purpose. Yes, a bike can bike too stiff.

Death from Below.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Why is this posted in the All Mountain sub forum? If the 5010 is too much bike, this definitely is not an All Mountain conversation.

More than XC Race, less than All Mountain. Check out the Ibis Ripley.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The company employee called it an upgrade. I'd wait until the parts get made and bolted to something before I call it too stiff or heavy. But that is just me.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtstj View Post
    I initially bought a Santa Cruz 5010 D+ build but hated it on the XC terrain. Slow on the flats and climbs, I was way behind. And what's the point of trying to chug through 1000 feet of elevation just to descend in a couple of minutes. I want to get up there quicker. Descent was nice though.
    This sounds like a confusion of percentages. A 5010 is a good climber. It's not the best, but it's good enough that it's immaterial outside a race situation. Bike can make a 0-10 difference, but fitness is a 0-100.

Sticking a 1-ply fast rolling rear tire on your 5010 may be a larger difference than buying another bike. Maybe not, but it's a 50$ experiment.

Have you ridden with these folks on road bikes? Do you keep up?

Also, 1000' ain't shit and shouldn't be noteworthy.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    May 2018
    These folks are my 14 year old twins. They have time to ride 100+ mi/week. I donít. I was keeping up with one of them on my Kona Blast. On the 5010 I was 7 minutes behind (over a 13 mi MTB). I tweaked the pressures and probably got that down to 4 minutes. Still it was not fun. I just donít think the 5010 is the bike I need for that terrain. Maybe switching the rear tire out with something narrower would have helped. But I returned the bike. Thus the search for a lighter, more aggressive, nimbler bike, Sniper/Niner.

For a dad trying to start a new job in the PNW far away from all family and friends and twin 14 year olds eating up trail, 1,000 feet 3 or 4 times gets to be taxing not fun. Want to get in shape, and will get there, just need more peddling time. In the meantime, I need a bike that will keep me safer than my Kona Blast which I kept wrecking. Slacker head tube angle, larger diameter tires, etc...

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Itís not an upgraded rear end; itís a stiffer rear end for heavier riders than you would normally see on a 100mm XC race bike.

Some might call that an upgrade. Others would call it overly heavy and stiffer than needed for their intended purpose. Yes, a bike can bike too stiff.

I think they may offer a 130mm travel sniper with the new rear triangle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    My 2017 Jet 9 RDO weighs a little less than 28 lbs., and I didn't build it with any weight weenie components. And I'm running a 2x Deore XT drive train, so I could go lighter pretty easily. I love how it rides, by the way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have a 2018 Jet RDO. Itís a do all bike. In trail mode I have the fork set at 140mm with 2.6 tires and flats. I can ride it all over Moab.

When I want to do XC. Drop it back to 130mm or even 120mm in the front. Throw on skinny tires and clipless pedals and I can XC all day
    Last edited by fiveo; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:12 AM.

mtbr member
    I would go with a Jet9 but I've been wanting one for a while now.