Impressions of several bikes: SB130,Trail 429,HD4,SB100, Mach 6,RFX- Mtbr.com
    Dream it, Do it.

Impressions of several bikes: SB130,Trail 429,HD4,SB100, Mach 6,RFX

Just wrote this up for another purpose and thought I might share these impressions here as well FWIW. These are all bikes that I liked and can recommend:

The bike models are listed in order of most XC/Race oriented (better at climbing) to those that are more All-mountain/Enduro oriented (better at descending)

Yeti SB100: Super snappy climber, that is also surprisingly stable on downhills.

Turner Flux: The Flux is snappy and efficient in its climbing feel though may not be necessary a faster climber than the RFX. It works well in tighter trails such as ones that you might find in the Northeast part of the US. Its lower degree of descending stability (converse of itís faster handling) requires more rider skill to ride tougher descents.

Pivot Trail 429 - Great bike for most riders, but less stable for really chunky trails due to its having 120mm of travel. This bike climbs almost as well as the SB100

Yeti SB130: Climbs pretty well (better than the SB 5.5 that was its predecessor), Feels pretty stable on the descents

Alchemy Arktos 27.5: The Arktos felt great with a similar level of descending ability as the RFX. It climbs reasonably well, but not as well as similar dw-link bikes (Mach 6, RFX)

Pivot Mach 6: The Mach 6 climbs well and is a stable descender. It feels a lot like the RFX in how the current version (introduced in 2017) handles and how the suspension works.

Turner RFX: The RFX climbs exceptionally well and not just for a 150mm travel bike. It climbs as well as the Pivot Trail 429. Though not as stable as dedicated Enduro race-replica bikes (Yeti SB6, Devinci Spartan), it will handle fine for anything in the Seattle area.

Ibis Mojo HD4: The HD4 has a longer wheelbase than either the Mach 6 or the RFX so it loses some nimbleness compared to the other two bikes at slower speed. It is surprisingly not sluggish when speeds pick up even just a little bit. Compared to the Yeti SB6 and the Devinci Spartan, the HD4 seems to have a wide range of speeds at which it works well, albeit starting at a slightly faster speed than the Mach 6 or the RFX.
    Last edited by Spectre; 07-05-2019 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Make Title more interesting
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

Elitest thrill junkie
    Put a coil shock on the RFX, then it will climb crappier! Seriously though, I feel the monarch spec was very poor and with a coil, it truly unlocks how the bike should be IME. For more efficient riding, an air shock works decent, like when you want a bit more pedaling efficiency for an enduro race (coming up next week), and then, you'll probably see a big difference between that and a Flux as far as climbing and everything else.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Dream it, Do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Put a coil shock on the RFX, then it will climb crappier! Seriously though, I feel the monarch spec was very poor and with a coil, it truly unlocks how the bike should be IME. For more efficient riding, an air shock works decent, like when you want a bit more pedaling efficiency for an enduro race (coming up next week), and then, you'll probably see a big difference between that and a Flux as far as climbing and everything else.
    Jayem, makes sense. BTW, have you had a chance to try out a Push ElevenSix coil shock on an RFX? The dual mode damping looks like it would provide the benefits of a coil shock on descents, but allow the RFX to climb as if it had an air shock. Seems like a great product, but $1,200 for a shock is too rich for my blood.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just goes to show you how well Turnerís version of the DW link performs, and how compelling a 29er RFX with updated geometry would be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    Jayem, makes sense. BTW, have you had a chance to try out a Push ElevenSix coil shock on an RFX? The dual mode damping looks like it would provide the benefits of a coil shock on descents, but allow the RFX to climb as if it had an air shock. Seems like a great product, but $1,200 for a shock is too rich for my blood.
    No, I switch between an Avy-ed RC4 and an Avy-ed Monarch+, just put the monarch back on for an enduro race next week, specifically because it pedals better and a few pedal strokes here and there add up. I think that 11-6 would nail it, I like the stiffer tune/action of the monarch on some trails, smoother stuff, big air, etc., but for traction and going down gnar chutes, the coil reigns supreme. $1200 isn't that bad for the tune and shock IMO, but now with both of the above shocks it'd be hard to justify as you say. I think the shock should be included with more OEM builds and frame-sets as an upgrade (good to see that it is to some extent though), although pricey, that's probably the best time to go for it and it is worth it in the long run IMO. W/the coil and front Avy fork, it really feels like it punches well above it's weight, compared to the OEM build. Down Predator and Chuckanuts DHs it just felt like I wanted for nothing more. Will be there at the end of August to hit some more trails.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.