mtbr member
    Dec 2017

I'm not sure what to do with this bike

I bought a used Diamondback recoil for $360 I believe its been a while. It came with one aftermarket part which is the DNM aoy-36rc shock.

I don't necessarily regret my decision but this thing is heavy! 36lb bike, and its not a problem with carrying the thing, the problem is it feels so sluggish and inefficient while riding I locked out the shock and put 26'' wheels with lighter weight tires on the thing and with the small weight change it was dramatic, it helped a lot with the speed and efficiency I was surprised I thought it would make no difference.

I enjoy riding, but I think anybike over 30lb is just too much, I rode bikes under 30lb and I don't know if its me but it feels much more quicker and just rolls longer.

I was thinking of just selling the thing for what I can get, but I'm having trouble finding used bikes to save up for.

Should I upgrade the thing and buy a good fork to help? the fork is spring and it is harsh during the big hits.

Maybe forget all of that and it could just be me? I'm not sure.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Before I had the diamondback I had a cheap $140 mongoose "mtb".

Now that thing was useless I honestly rather run the trails. So I think I am headed in the right direction since the current bike I can at least use.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by John445 View Post
    I bought a used Diamondback recoil for $360 I believe its been a while. It came with one aftermarket part which is the DNM aoy-36rc shock.

I don't necessarily regret my decision but this thing is heavy! 36lb bike, and its not a problem with carrying the thing, the problem is it feels so sluggish and inefficient while riding I locked out the shock and put 26'' wheels with lighter weight tires on the thing and with the small weight change it was dramatic, it helped a lot with the speed and efficiency I was surprised I thought it would make no difference.

I enjoy riding, but I think anybike over 30lb is just too much, I rode bikes under 30lb and I don't know if its me but it feels much more quicker and just rolls longer.

I was thinking of just selling the thing for what I can get, but I'm having trouble finding used bikes to save up for.

Should I upgrade the thing and buy a good fork to help? the fork is spring and it is harsh during the big hits.

Maybe forget all of that and it could just be me? I'm not sure.
    Looking online, there's not much resale value for this bike. You say "a while ago". Do you know what year? If the bike is rather old, upgrading it may not be possible in some respects as standards have changed a few times since. Personally, I'd keep riding it while saving money for a better bike.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Its the 2017 model.

The fork is not tapered, and it only takes quick release.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I do have $800 saved up from working over the summer. I was thinking of getting a new one or doing upgrades.

Bikesexual
    Sounds like you are sticking with riding. I say keep it as is, and save for a better bike, you can then sell this one to help with funds, or keep as backup/loaner bike.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Thanks, I'll save up for a hardtail. Since I lock out the rear shock I don't think I'll be needing a full suspension.