Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er- Mtbr.com
    fc
    head minion Administrator

Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er

Here it is! Not the first to market but a special one indeed in this crazy competitive arena.

My two takeaways after riding it the last couple weeks:

"The Ripmo not only allows me to use a 170mm dropper post for my 5í7Ē stature, it allows me to go even longer. I can now choose a dropper post length based on my preference, not what the bike will allow. "

"With its combination its combination of long reach, steep seat angle and dw-link geometry, the Ripmo delivers two bikes in one. Itís a bike that can descend with authority and one thatís not afraid to climb. "

Ibis Ripmo first look - Mtbr.com

Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er-dropped-1024x680.jpg

Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er-img_3069.jpg

Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er-img_4900.jpg

Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er-img_4901.jpg

Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er-img_4951.jpg

Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er-img_4960.jpg

Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er-img_5019.jpg

Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er-screen-shot-2018-03-26-6.31.52-am.jpg

Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er-weight-1024x677.jpg

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Thx, @FC!

The "two-bikes-in-one" is a *huge* deal: There are many of us who don't race enduro, but want the benefits of the bigger bike...

Back in the day my v1 Ripley was the best climber ever, and soooo fast on the XC - but sketchy on any real steeps (hence me hurting myself badly on it). When it came out, upgraded to Evil Following which was more capable/playful, but lost some of the uphill speed/magic... and still, the bigger bikes smoke the rocky sections here in CO & UT.

The last year I've been eyeing LT 29rs - knowing that I'll be 'over-gunned' ~90% of the time, paying for it on the climbs, etc. BUT, will have the travel/plush when it counts. Been considering monsters like the Orbea Rallon, Wreckoning (161mm!), etc... way more than I really need.

If Ibis really did keep the magic of the Ripley and added enough DH prowess, it could be the perfect fit for us 'enthusiasts' who continually strive for the elusive quiver of one...

Yes, in the 'crazy competitive' crowded market - that could indeed be something very, very special...

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Oh - and even tho it's a bit early at this point, I guess I have to put it out there:

Any news on the street regarding putting a Coil on this guy? (11.6?) I've no idea - are the Ibis DWLink bikes typically more of a linear (e.g. Yeti) or progressive (e.g. Evil) suspension curve?

Obviously, the shock makers will be furiously tuning their products once they get their hands on one, but any initial heads-up is appreciated...

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by laserjockrock View Post
    Oh - and even tho it's a bit early at this point, I guess I have to put it out there:

Any news on the street regarding putting a Coil on this guy? (11.6?) I've no idea - are the Ibis DWLink bikes typically more of a linear (e.g. Yeti) or progressive (e.g. Evil) suspension curve?

Obviously, the shock makers will be furiously tuning their products once they get their hands on one, but any initial heads-up is appreciated...
    This bike doesn't work well with coil. Same as the HD3, HD4. It can be done but the suspension wants a progressive rear shock.

Good news is the X2 is amazing and highly tuneable.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I've no idea - are the Ibis DWLink bikes typically more of a linear (e.g. Yeti) or progressive (e.g. Evil) suspension curve?
    Most trail-oriented dw-link bikes stereotypically have a "u-shaped" progressive-regressive leverage curve. They're often progressive off the top, flatish in the middle, and have a rising leverage ratio (falling rate) in the last third of travel. It's a result of the patented dw-link anti-squat curve, that is initially fairly high and falls off later in the travel.

That end stroke behavior is why you generally don't see coils on dw-link bikes (with some exceptions). It pairs very well with an air shock, but it needs the right air can volume for a given rider weight to properly control bottom-out.

That said, a lot of the latest crop of more descending-oriented dw-bikes have more simply-progressive or progressive-then-linear curves, getting rid of the regressive tail end of the stroke. The HD4, the newest Pivot M6, Firebird, and probably others would fall into that category.

FWIW, the only dw-link bikes for which PUSH offers the 11.6 are the Pivot Firebird and Mach 6, and the Turner RFX 4.0. PUSH wasn't able to get one to work satisfactorily with the HD3's kinematics, and I don't know where they landed with the HD4. I've never seen pictures of a coil HD4, so perhaps there's a mechanical (non-kinematic) reason that might also apply to the Ripmo.

mtbr member
    Anyone heard anything on availability, ship dates, etc?

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal-Rider View Post
    Anyone heard anything on availability, ship dates, etc?
    Some dealers have it today. Should be available now on this first wave of inventory.
    IPA will save America

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarus2405 View Post
    Most trail-oriented dw-link bikes stereotypically have a "u-shaped" progressive-regressive leverage curve. They're often progressive off the top, flatish in the middle, and have a rising leverage ratio (falling rate) in the last third of travel. It's a result of the patented dw-link anti-squat curve, that is initially fairly high and falls off later in the travel.

That end stroke behavior is why you generally don't see coils on dw-link bikes (with some exceptions). It pairs very well with an air shock, but it needs the right air can volume for a given rider weight to properly control bottom-out.

That said, a lot of the latest crop of more descending-oriented dw-bikes have more simply-progressive or progressive-then-linear curves, getting rid of the regressive tail end of the stroke. The HD4, the newest Pivot M6, Firebird, and probably others would fall into that category.

FWIW, the only dw-link bikes for which PUSH offers the 11.6 are the Pivot Firebird and Mach 6, and the Turner RFX 4.0. PUSH wasn't able to get one to work satisfactorily with the HD3's kinematics, and I don't know where they landed with the HD4. I've never seen pictures of a coil HD4, so perhaps there's a mechanical (non-kinematic) reason that might also apply to the Ripmo.
    This isn't a result of the DW link, it's just a result of what the intended shock is on the frame. You have 3 choices as a designer, either optimize the leverage ratio for air, which means coil will be wacky with too little progression at the end stroke (among other issues), optimize for coil, which will be way too much progression for an air shock, or try and make it a compromise, which will have some good and bad characteristics whatever you run. There are DW links running coils, like the Turner DHR, but that's because the leverage ratio was made for it. Pivot firebird and phoenix look like they will work well with a coil too based on their leverage curves. There are many bikes though where they "tell you" you can run a coil or air shock, but in reality the bike will work like crap with one and they never really tried to match up the curve with the shock and intended use. Most bikes these days are intended for an air shock of one type or another, so it reasons that most are going to be intended for this as far as the leverage curve.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    This bike doesn't work well with coil. Same as the HD3, HD4. It can be done but the suspension wants a progressive rear shock.
    Good news is the X2 is amazing and highly tuneable.
    Thx, Francis.

Interestingly - Brian Lopes seems to be riding one w/ a Fox Coil! So, maybe there's hope??

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bgyz5kJj...-by=brianlopes

Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er-lopes-coil-1.jpg
    Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er-lopes-coil-2.jpg
    Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er-lopes-coil-3.jpg

mtbr member
    Anyone know if the X2 shock is custom for Ibis? Tune? I don't see the 210x55 size on the Fox website.

mtbr member
    Can anyone confirm the top tier fork has HSC/LSC adjustment not the 3 position lever? Ibis site says FIT4 which I thought was 3 position lever, but then I see this in the Bike review.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal-Rider View Post
    Can anyone confirm the top tier fork has HSC/LSC adjustment not the 3 position lever? Ibis site says FIT4 which I thought was 3 position lever, but then I see this in the Bike review.

It is the HSC/SLC indeed.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Thx, Francis.

Interestingly - Brian Lopes seems to be riding one w/ a Fox Coil! So, maybe there's hope??

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bgyz5kJj...-by=brianlopes

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lopes Coil 1.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	1189753

Name:	Lopes Coil 2.jpg 
Views:	594 
Size:	123.6 KB 
ID:	1189754

Name:	Lopes Coil 3.jpg 
Views:	982 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	1189755
    Yeah, he's been running that on the HD3/4 too. Some Enduro riders too last year. They are Xfusion sponsored so they get some special things and they make do.

It doesn't seem ideal though and few are doing it.

Push wouldn't do one for me for the HD3.

Good news is this bike is made for the Fox X2 air shock and it's very good.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Double scoop like an ice cream cone.

Ibis Ripmo video and Q&A - Mtbr.com
    IPA will save America

used to be RipRoar
    Definitely watching these build outs and mostly interested in a XL build with 200 dropper for a 6' 3-4" rider, come on, somebody do it!

mtbr member
    just noticed "IPA will save America" lol

nice bike too

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    isn't that Lopes guy a sponsored Ellsworth rider?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    And now I stumbled over this
    https://www.bike-components.de/en/Ro...-RipMo-p69640/
    With a normal spring recommended https://www.bike-components.de/en/Ro...134-mm-p56982/

Have someone at rock shock been thinking and come up with some new ideas inside or is it still just a bad idea?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I am also very curious about this as I think the bike needs some small bump compliance.

2018 Ibis Ripmo
    2016 Transition TransAM 275

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raketservice View Post
    With a normal spring recommended https://www.bike-components.de/en/Ro...134-mm-p56982/

Have someone at rock shock been thinking and come up with some new ideas inside or is it still just a bad idea?
    That's interesting. World wide has it listed as well, I cant seem to find anything on the specific tune on the Roxshox website with what they claim will make it work with a Ripmo.

It doesn't look like a progressively wound spring so I would assume its just the larger bottom out bumper.

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...-18-ibis-ripmo

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raketservice View Post

As noted in another thread. I would not recommend this without a progressive spring and good progressive springs are hard to come by.
    With a linear rate spring you will need too much compression and it will negate any advantage you get with a coil.

Your main options are too high a spring rate with very little sag or the correct rate and use the bottom out bumper a lot.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    I took a look at the first link again and I noticed the bottom eyelet is much different than their normal shocks. I wonder if their doing this for the Clevis style mounting on some bikes. I know a lot of the manufacturers say no coil with this style mounting because of the stress it places on the shaft.

Still dosen't answer the how its handling the needed progression, but good to see that area being addressed if that's what its for.