I am at a loss no bikes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2020

I am at a loss no bikes

MY wife and I want to get back into mountain bikes, Many years ago I was pretty hardcore, but family, job , injuries, and life you know how it goes /// ready to get back in.

anyway I have a 1000.00 budget to get me a Mtn Bike and 1000.00 for the wifes bike. (2000,00 total for 2 bikes)

If possible i would prefer the 1-10 to a 1-12
    Im 6 1 218 ish , ,my wifee is 5.6 with nice body wt. she would kill me if i posted her weight.

I need to get some cardio going again, Hated to run, was not a rodeee bike guy, but did like MTN.

I am assuming i can not get a nice suspension for a grand. But i was hoping i could get a pretty nice hard tail.

maybe Kuna Manuna, Scott, Trek, Cannondale, t4-5 Rockhopper elite
    GT Avalanche Expert?

Im not a fan-boy of any brand,
    which is a good choice, upgrade-able, something i will not outgrow to fast, good quality,
    Any input is welcome, Im so lost the Mtn Bike world has really changed.

since 4/10/2009
    You're going to have a rough time looking for bikes. You'll be looking at popular sizes at a time that demand is high AND supply chains are f*cked. Availability is going to be all over the place, and there's a good chance you're going to have to wait awhile.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Buy used.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Right now in my area the price difference between new and used is minimal. That's mainly because supply is short everywhere.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Buy used.
    supply will still be erratic. gotta be patient to find what you want.

mtbr member
    At the end of this week, Iíll be 8 weeks into a wait for my new bike. It is what it is. At your budget, youíre going to have to wait. Just about every bike under $1000 was sold out in March and April. Hell, look at the bike rack at Walmart, theyíre all empty.

Now as to what bike to buy (and wait for lol) for your budget. Iím a big DIYer and like getting the most I can for my money. For those reasons I personally think buying from a direct to consumer bike company serves me well. If you are not a guy that can work on your bike, and like having someone local to work with, then buying from a LBS would be better.

Hereís what I think one should have on a hard tail to help future proof it. Meaning that you wonít out grow it in a year. Boost spacing axles, an air spring fork, 1X drivetrain, tapered headtube, dropper post routing are all requirements for me.

A couple of bikes that fill those needs that I know are near that price is the Fezzari Wasatch Peak and the Commencal Meta AM. I donít have experience with either. Just some bikes for you to research and compare.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Another thing to watch for is rim inner width. 29-30mm is becoming a standard. This lets you run 2.35 to 2.6" tires. 29 wheels.
    Watch out for bikes with 19mm, 21mm or 23mm rims from yesteryear.
    Nukeproof Scout, WTB Serra 29 rims.
    Vitus Nucleus comes with WTB ST i30 TCS 2.0, 29", 30mm inner diameter rims.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Not my first pick but did find a specialized Elite 29,, Actually a pretty nice ride..
    It handles very lively and agile, very surprised actually. for 900 buck its a very nice ride.
    I will get alot of training time on it. the Air Shock Judy works pretty well.

mtbr member
    Spend more. The richest man in the graveyard is still dead!

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Been hearing good things about the Trek Roscoe

Trek it out!

Trail Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by plummet View Post

Not once have I been on some sweet single track, @ 10000 feet on a high end full suspension bike, and thought "man, I cannot believe I spent $xXxX on this stupid bike!"
    2020 Turbo Levo SL Expert Carbon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlx john View Post
    Not once have I been on some sweet single track, @ 10000 feet on a high end full suspension bike, and thought "man, I cannot believe I spent $xXxX on this stupid bike!"
    Hahaha,,, Same. I have however thought "Why the F%^& did I cheap out and buy that"

CEO Product Failure
    The 2021 models are starting to be released. I'd start a conversation with the LBS of choice and go from there. You may be in luck.

I should add, the 2021's are being sold mostly sight unseen and before they are even built. Bicycle demand has skyrocketed this year. My bro-in-law just got two 2021 Spec HT's for his boys. They were still in boxes and the last of the LBS' initial 2021 shipment.

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by plummet View Post
    is there some reason that it bothers you that because I worked my tail off for 35 years, and I can afford a nice bike? my wife has one too. in fact, we each have two. sure is fun.

mtbr member
    Go for a 29 HT, maybe 27.5 plus for the wife, but you will have issues at that budget, even $2000 for one would be tough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Trail Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceWeaklegs View Post
    is there some reason that it bothers you that because I worked my tail off for 35 years, and I can afford a nice bike? my wife has one too. in fact, we each have two. sure is fun.
    This post confuses me. I don't see anyone insulting you, your amount of money, or how many bikes you can buy.

I think fun is a given when it comes to bikes, especially in this niche, unimportant subculture of people that frequents websites like MTBR.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    [QUOTE=mlx john;14887509]This post confuses me. I don't see anyone insulting you, your amount of money, or how many bikes you can buy.

I think fun is a given when it comes to bikes, especially in this niche, unimportant subculture of people that frequents websites like MTBR.

They must have read something into it that Iím missing.

mtbr member
    LOL. WOOOSH... right over your head.

Magically Delicious
    ^^^^ Yep, like a jet.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    d365, and C2L, let's all remember, it's an election year. The ideologies are thick.....
    Just call me Ray

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    d365, and C2L, let's all remember, it's an election year. The ideologies are thick.....

odd. I wasn't the first responder to take offense at the "everyones going to die, spend more money" post. someone else commented on how nice it is to ride to the top on a really nice bike. but I have gotten most of the flak. I'm not a Trumper, nor a hammer and sickle guy. so your election year theory doesn't apply to me. but the political bent of others does apparently factor in here. I don't judge people by what they ride, so why should anyone else. and if it jetted right over my head please enlighten me.

Magically Delicious
    ^^^ WTF are you talking about? Where did politics come into this?
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

Trail Rider
    odd. I wasn't the first responder to take offense at the "everyones going to die, spend more money" post.
    You are literally the only person who's taken offense at anything on this thread. Have you confused this thread with a different one?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    odd. I wasn't the first responder to take offense at the "everyones going to die, spend more money" post. someone else commented on how nice it is to ride to the top on a really nice bike. but I have gotten most of the flak. I'm not a Trumper, nor a hammer and sickle guy. so your election year theory doesn't apply to me. but the political bent of others does apparently factor in here. I don't judge people by what they ride, so why should anyone else. and if it jetted right over my head please enlighten me.
    Plummet was telling him to spend some more money. Since your wife and you have two nice bikes each it seems like you should be agreeing with plummet. Can't take that money to the grave, have fun while you're alive.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    User name change: LanceWeakbrain.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by goofyarcher View Post
    Not my first pick but did find a specialized Elite 29,, Actually a pretty nice ride..
    It handles very lively and agile, very surprised actually. for 900 buck its a very nice ride.
    I will get alot of training time on it. the Air Shock Judy works pretty well.
    Not a bad deal if you managed to pick up a Rockhopper Elite for $900. As mentioned, anything under a $1000 is impossible to find these days. If you're still looking, Trek bikes are good bang-for-the-buck at that price point. Specialized puts out good bikes, but they're a tad pricier for what you get in components.