mtbr member
    Dec 2017

How much can I probably sell this suspension fork for?

I know it won't be much, I have a SR Suntour XCT 29", 100mm fork that came off my diamondback recoil 2017. I want to upgrade into a air fork, and I hear the forks in the $200 range are good. I was thinking about getting a Suntour Epixon to replace.

mtbr member
    I think Suntour has a fork upgrade program of some sorts, at least I believe I read that.... discount of some sorts. Worth looking into, b/c resale on that fork is probably minimal at best.... if you could find a buyer.

One ring to mash them all
    A plateau is the highest form of flattery.

mtbr member
    ....or hold onto it for spare parts. Not sure about Suntour, but many a RockShox, for example, use the same diameter uppers/lowers, o-rings, etc.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I'd be surprised if anyone would give you $10 for your fork. As Timothy said, you might get a few cents worth of o-rings out of it (but if your time has any value at all, it wouldn't be worth it - you are talking about maybe $0.05-0.10 worth of salvageable parts).

Do the Suntour upgrade program. The discount they give is easily 10x what you could get for your fork elsewhere.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Well-used, it's good for a door stop or wall art. In very good condition, maybe $10-20. Brand new/unused takeoff a little more, but not much. It could take a while to sell though since demand is low.

Suntour doesn't require the old fork be returned, but I'd keep it until you receive your upgrade since you'll need the serial number and if you typo and need to resubmit...well, better safe than sorry.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Only issue is, I bought this bike used. The owner originally bought his online and is unsure about giving me the receipt because it has a lot of information on it about him also. I would also know and understand why because I purchased a bike online before and it contained information such as my billing address and last 4 digits of my card and so and so.

Maybe I can ask him if he can buy the new suspension for through the program and pay him a little extra for the fork than what he paid. Or if that will end of being more expensive either way vs buying a used air fork that isn't completely worn out I'd probably try looking for used.

When it comes to suspension forks I am aware of the dust caps, sleeves, and the suspension fluid. But for ones that require a almost full rebuild I am unsure if its cost effective to rebuild them. I see very cheap suspension forks time to time but they all require a rebuild.

mtbr member
    Another vote for using the suntour upgrade program.

You would be lucky to get $20 for it.

Better off to save it as a spare for when your new fork is out being serviced so you could still ride.

I live to bike
    Quote Originally Posted by John445 View Post
    Only issue is, I bought this bike used. The owner originally bought his online and is unsure about giving me the receipt because it has a lot of information on it about him also. I would also know and understand why because I purchased a bike online before and it contained information such as my billing address and last 4 digits of my card and so and so.

Maybe I can ask him if he can buy the new suspension for through the program and pay him a little extra for the fork than what he paid. Or if that will end of being more expensive either way vs buying a used air fork that isn't completely worn out I'd probably try looking for used.

When it comes to suspension forks I am aware of the dust caps, sleeves, and the suspension fluid. But for ones that require a almost full rebuild I am unsure if its cost effective to rebuild them. I see very cheap suspension forks time to time but they all require a rebuild.
    I don't think you have to be the original owner to take advantage of the suntour upgrade program.
    Ok, just looked at the site, looks like you did. When the suntour rep talked to me about it, it sounded like anyone could take advantage of the upgrade. Might be worth asking at your lbs. Depending on their rep, maybe they'd let you get the upgrade price.
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I'm sorry to say but those level Suntour forks are good for anchors and not much else. They weigh about the same as an anchor and have similarly effective suspension performance.

I have the very same fork on a bike that I picked up for ~US$50 (the whole bike), and the fork was basically new. And despite that, personally, I'd prefer a rigid fork over a heavy coil sprung fork that has no rebound damping.

For < $200 I would have absolutely no doubt about what I'd buy, it'd be the best Manitou you can get for that money. You can get a Manitou Markhor fork for well under that, and they come in basically all wheel sizes, tapered and straight steerers, all sorts of hub standards, weigh about 1kg less than your Suntour fork, and do everything better.

The thing you need to consider is how much is worth spending upgrading that bike. IMO the fork is worthwhile as it's something you can bring across to a cheap hardtail or something down the track. And so I'd keep the Suntour to put back on for when you get rid of your current bike.