mtbr member
    Aug 2017

How many big guys here have ridden or ride 27.5 plus ?

6 2 plus , 220 plus - thoughts ?

Too small for big guys ? 29
    Plus better ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    I'm 6'5" and 210 lbs. I don't like plus tires. I've found they're both squirmy and bouncy at speed. I need a heavier duty tire with a stiffer casing.

Bikesexual
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...7&share_type=t

Here is another thread on the subject.
    The Steel Fleet:

'14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid
    TBA - There is a hint in the Purchase thread

mtbr member
    I ride 27.5+ and love it, 6'1" 245lbs. Not squirmy at all, but do need some patience getting PSI spot on.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'4" 220...lot's of variables regarding what is best for you. What kind of terrain, how aggressive you ride, etc. I'm digging the 27.5 / 2.5" tubeless at no lower than 20psi. I notice in higher speed corners when pressure gets below 20psi.

Never had 'plus' or 'fat' bike but I would think the typically lower pressures and more sidewall would result in a little more 'wallowing' in corners than I care for.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    6'2", 185lbs geard. I'm not heavy but I ride pretty damn hard and one of my specialties is cornering. The 275+ setups are fun and provide a lot of confidence in tech terrain. That being said, I'm not able to run the absurdly low tire pressures that some others are running otherwise I start folding over sidewalls and get some very odd feelings out of the back end of the bike. If I drop below 19PSI things start to get weird and under 18 is a no go for sure. Because of that I gravitate to the 2.4-2.5" tires and just stick to that mostly.

They are pretty damn fun tho, I would never knock some one for riding them and I can 100% see their place in the mtb ecosystem.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNatureBoy View Post
    6 2 plus , 220 plus - thoughts ?

Too small for big guys ? 29
    Plus better ?
    I'm 6'2", 205#.
    Got an FS sled that takes both 29" and 27.5+.
    I have two wheelsets:
    • 29 x 2.6" on i30.5mm rims
    • 27.5 x 3" on i45mm rims

I've ridden both wheelsets for a year and a half. The 3" tires have their place, climbing is not that place. They're heavy. I'm off the back. But downhill I leave everyone behind. Adios! Can bulldoze anything and traction is everywhere. I honestly catch myself laughing out loud sometimes.

But if I could only keep one of the wheelsets, it'd be the 29x2.6" wheels. With these wheels & tires the bike can do almost anything (if not everything) it can do with the smaller hoops & fatter tires plus it feels more sprightly and handles better. That said, I believe the main thing I don't like about the 27.5" wheels is their smaller diameter -- I much prefer the wagon wheels.

MUCH prefer.

I want to try 29x3". I believe it's what I want.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Land of the 230+
    6"0" and athletic 230 lbs, 27 plus on EVERYTHING. 2.6 on hardtail. 2.8 on full squish and singlespeed. I do have a 29" wheelset I can swap in for perfectly buff singletrack, but I never do.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    6-3, 230lbs.

I love riding a 650b bike. My Bronson v2 has 2.35 tires, absolutely love it. I also love riding 29ers.

IMO what makes a good bike isn't the tire or wheel size, it is the geometry and suspension.

I demoed a 650b + bike for 4 days earlier this year and hated it, not because of the wheel or tire size, because I didn't like the suspension.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin513 View Post

IMO what makes a good bike isn't the tire or wheel size, it is the geometry and suspension.

I demoed a 650b + bike for 4 days earlier this year and hated it, not because of the wheel or tire size, because I didn't like the suspension.
    Tires are part of the suspension! Plus tires feel like 3" of undamped suspension, same as my first mtb in the 90s.

I could see having a lot of fun with some 1500g plus tires and some patient friends, but until i have those things i'll be sticking with something smaller and less bouncy. To each their own; plus tires are more polarizing than crappy.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin513 View Post

I'd say tires are one of the most important component. If they can't get you down the mountain then geo and suspension doesn't matter. That's why you're not going to see plus tires at an EWS race.

Wanna ride bikes?
    6'3" 205 lbs. I love big hoops. I've demo/tested lots of B+ setups and just don't care for them. Hardtail, full suspension, whatever. They just don't offer the benefits of 29er tires or 29+.

My favorite thing to ride (currently) is my Krampus with 3" Minions on 50mm rims. It's so fun, I can't get enough.

29 and 29+ both have their place for me. If your looking for a versatile hardtail that's super fun and capable a 29+ is awesome. If you're looking to ride more aggressively 29ers may be preferred. The only time I get squirm is landing a drop to flat (or landing sideways), or if you slam into a corner real hard. It's not bad but occasionally noticeable. Getting your tire pressures dialed eliminates it for the most part.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    6-1 .. 260lbs of chubby-ness here .. really like the 2.8's in 275 .. Currently running Rangers on my N9 hardtail and for me it's all about dialing in the psi on these things. Too much and I tend to get a little washy in the front, however that is by-product of a big fork on a HT too.

mtbr member
    6'2" 218 at the moment. I haven't run plus tires (usually run 27.5x2.5 or 29x2.4), but I know several bigger guys I ride with have complained that their plus tires squirm/fold too much in aggressive cornering. That has been enough to discourage me from going plus.

My tire pressures vary widely depending on whether I'm on wet/rooty natural singletrack in our rainy season (running 18psi front/21psi rear) or on bermed flow trails on velcro like hero dirt (28 psi front/31 rear) or riding DH rocky bike park trails where I may be as high as 35 psi. If I'm hitting bermed corners super hard, my tire pressures have to be at at least high 20's to low 30's to keep my tires from folding over.

I recently blew a tubeless tire completely off the rim landing a jump (both beads come fully off), so I tried a set of cushcore inserts out of self preservation. I was pretty skeptical, but so far, after a few rides I've been really impressed with them. They recommend dropping 5 psi over your normal pressures, and I'm finding that to be pretty accurate. With the cushcore I've dropped to 21 front/25 rear on the flow/berms and 14 front/16.5 rear on wet/rootry singletrack, and traction/comfort has been improved dramatically with no tire squirm/folding and no rim strikes.

While I think $150 for two foam inserts and valve stems is kinda silly, the results have been worth it for me so far on my 29" hardtail. I've been denting the 27.5 rims on my AM and DH bikes running 30+ psi, so I'll probably go cushcore on those too.

Anyway, going to tire inserts is something to consider if you're looking for some more cushion and traction without having to go with a different frame and/or wheels if you're not set up for plus now.
    No dig no whine

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    5'10 and 235lbs. just went from old 26 to 275+. like the roll over amd cornering and. feeling my way in lowering pressures to find the sweet spot . ca

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    I'd say tires are one of the most important component. If they can't get you down the mountain then geo and suspension doesn't matter. That's why you're not going to see plus tires at an EWS race.
    In no way am I disagreeing with you and in fact I totally agree, tires are the most important component on a bike, but the fact is all tire and wheel sizes have been getting down the mountain for years, 26, 27.5 and 29ers.

My point is that you can make a bike bad with bad suspension and geometry that is absolutely no fun to ride.

I'm a bigger person and the OP asked about 650b being too small for big guys. I certainly don't think so. 10 years ago most of us were on 26ers, and we had fun mountain biking.

Just like I hate when people say 29ers are not fun or poppy. Sure, in the past and even now there are plenty of 29ers that were/are just no fun to ride, but for the most part companies have developed geometries and suspensions that work well with them.

I personally don't like plus tire bikes for the most part, but I see their point. Likewise they can be fun or not.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    6'2" 205 on a Trek Stache 29 x 3". Love the plus tires...don't think I'd go back to anything else unless I decided to get a FS some day. The tires just make the ride so smooth and anyone that says they aren't as fast or aggressive hasn't ridden one (of course I'm not talking about the professional level).

To answer your question though I demo'd a 2018 Specialized 27.5 plus bike, can't remember the name, and was unimpressed.