Hi MTBR folks- Mtbr.com

Thread: Hi MTBR folks

Noob
    Aug 2010

Hi MTBR folks

I'm brand new to the sport and looking for a little advice. I have spent a lot of time researching bikes, and I completely realize that you get what you pay for. Right now I've got a cheap pieced together used bike that i'm using until I can buy a new one (after Christmas). Even then, I'm still only looking at around the $300 dollar range. I know I won't be able to get a true mountain bike for that, but then again, I live in Indiana, so we don't really have a lot of "mountains" here. I will probably not be making jumps more than a foot or two, and it's not particularly rocky. Keeping that in mind, I'm looking at a Diamondback Sorrento hardtail if I cannot find a better used bike at my LBS. Any advice or opinions are welcome.

Thanks,
    Steve

meow meow
    find a way to save up a few more hundred so you can buy a "real" bike. you will be thankful you did.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Hey bevanse-

Do you mean $300 even as your max or up to $400 as your absolute ceiling on this? I know its only an entry-level ride that you'll only probably use for a couple of years before moving on but still. I'd be careful if I were you as I can't see you really getting anything reasonably decent componentwise at that pricepoint (especially at the $300 end of your range), let alone getting a respectable fork (there's little worse than a cheap, crappy wallyworld-level fork) that will allow you to truly enjoy the learning experience. All of this might not matter as much if you're a lightweight rider on forgiving XC terrain. Otherwise saving a little more might be a good idea. Iif you can swing it, you'll definitely notice the difference as you're learning the ropes.

Never ridden that db, can't comment, but your idea to shop around the local LBS's for end-of-season blowouts and/or quality used rides certainly could work. Ride stuff in those infamous parking-lot demos, then develop a list of what you consider solid XC HT rides and get back on here and ask about them. You'll get some great feedback!

Good luck!

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    Absolutely buy used at that price, bikes with an MSRP in that range are a waste of your time.

greedy
    You may want to post this in "Beginner"s Corner". Many of the riders that linger in this forum have paid $300 for a set of pedals. "Beginner's Corner" will get you some advice from guys who are or recently have been looking for bikes closer to that price range.
    Addicted to the Classifieds

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by have2ride2day
    You may want to post this in "Beginner"s Corner". Many of the riders that linger in this forum have paid $300 for a set of pedals. "Beginner's Corner" will get you some advice from guys who are or recently have been looking for bikes closer to that price range.
    Ah, yes the infamous platinum-plated pedal purchase. I've done that - mixed results at best.

greedy
    Quote Originally Posted by roxnroots
    Ah, yes the infamous platinum-plated pedal purchase. I've done that - mixed results at best.
    Don't be a cheapo and go for the plated stuff.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by have2ride2day
    Don't be a cheapo and go for the plated stuff.
    You meant go for the solid platinum, right? Hey, that'd probably help since I've been dropping flakes and chips of platinum plating all over the trail with my current set and I'm trying to be more environmentally-conscious these days.

Noob
    Aug 2010
    Thanks guys. Ok, after some more research, I'm going to stop by my LBS and see if they carry the hardrock and rockhopper lines from Specialized. They look to be in my price range, and really decent bikes for what I wanna do.

greedy
    Quote Originally Posted by bevanse
    Thanks guys. Ok, after some more research, I'm going to stop by my LBS and see if they carry the hardrock and rockhopper lines from Specialized. They look to be in my price range, and really decent bikes for what I wanna do.
    Those bikes have been in Specialized's line up for long time and I've heard good things about them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Specalized Hardrock is a good beginner's choice. However, I would look in Craigslist to buy a used Hardrock. Not sure about Inidana, but around Socal, people sell used Hardrock all the time as they look to upgrade. Easily can be had for $300. I would not look to buy a new bike with $300, but a good used hardtail for $300 can be had.

Members who have read this thread: 0