Help me make a decision on whether or not I should buy a bike!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2019

Help me make a decision on whether or not I should buy a bike!

SO I currently have a 2016 Giant Trance 2 that I just upgraded a ton. Converted to 1x11 (new derailleur, cranks, chainring, chain shifter.. All SLX), new wheels, new tires, carbon bars, new stem + grips, DVO topaz in the rear, Manitou Mattoc up front. Brand new rear triangle. Wolf tooth dropper, brand new dropper... you get the picture. Also upped the travel to 158 rear, 160 front.

I found a good deal on a 2017 Norco Sight 29er C9.2. I really want to go 29er. It is carbon, upgraded wheels with 108 POE hubs (Bontrager Elite wheels) and everything else stock. It is a 1x11 XT. (A bit unfortunate as I would prefer Eagle but not a deal breaker.) New tires, new handlebar, suspension fully serviced. Rest is stock.

I am 6 ft so the 29er wouldnt be too big for me.

Should I make the switch? Obviously I would sell My Trance.

I mainly ride trail with DH park maybe once/month. Help me decide!

Also what do you think I could sell the Trance for?

mtbr member
    When asking addicted bikers whether you should buy another bike or not the answer is always N+1!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I kinda went through this recently. I had a 2014 Remedy 29er and started looking at new bikes. The deciding factor for me was ultimately demoing a bike that was too much fun to say no to. I ended up going from 29 to 27.5 wheels

I don't think it is a bad idea to get the new bike if you are going to be selling the old. Biggest reason would probably be because you are wanting to go 29er. Maybe swap some parts over to the new bike that you are wanting to keep (assuming they are all compatible).

Edit: It is not a bad idea to have both bikes if your financial situation can support it.
    2019 Trek Remedy
    2014 Trek Remedy 8 29er
    2011 Trek Scratch Air 8
    2011 Reign 2
    2008 p.2

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stumphumper92 View Post
    SO I currently have a 2016 Giant Trance 2 that I just upgraded a ton. Converted to 1x11 (new derailleur, cranks, chainring, chain shifter.. All SLX), new wheels, new tires, carbon bars, new stem + grips, DVO topaz in the rear, Manitou Mattoc up front. Brand new rear triangle. Wolf tooth dropper, brand new dropper... you get the picture. Also upped the travel to 158 rear, 160 front.

I found a good deal on a 2017 Norco Sight 29er C9.2. I really want to go 29er. It is carbon, upgraded wheels with 108 POE hubs (Bontrager Elite wheels) and everything else stock. It is a 1x11 XT. (A bit unfortunate as I would prefer Eagle but not a deal breaker.) New tires, new handlebar, suspension fully serviced. Rest is stock.

I am 6 ft so the 29er wouldnt be too big for me.

Should I make the switch? Obviously I would sell My Trance.

I mainly ride trail with DH park maybe once/month. Help me decide!

Also what do you think I could sell the Trance for?
    At the point in your MTB experience where you're upgrading everything and always fantasizing about the next bike... the best thing you can do is acquaint yourself with lots of bikes. It's probably not going to make much difference in any empirical sense, but you need to learn what's out there and what works for you and that your choices are the right ones. If you can spend a few years transitioning from bike to bike w/o it mattering financially, go ahead and do it. You'll just worry about lost satisfaction otherwise.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I've got a new bike and kept old one as backup/loaner for friends who wanna try MTBking. But I can afford having 2 bikes...

Norco Sight is a very good bike, I've demoed it in Moab for a day and it was solid. I'm 6-1, and L size felt really good.