help with buying new bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

help with buying new bike

hi everyone, so ive been a road rider for many years, and a few years ago i picked up a giant anthem 3(2017) and have been using it quite a bit for trail riding and cross country, and just riding around the woods on atv trails, or gravel roads.

I have been using it alot with my 3 year old and the mac ride and my wife tried it out a few times last week with him as well and now she wants to get into MTB riding as well. so i have 2 options, we get her a bike, and i upgrade the anthem, or i give her the anthem and i get a new one(i like this option)

so my question is what are some bikes i should be looking at.
    im about to turn 40 so i dont see myself do any crazy shit. just wanna ride some trails, hit some jumps, drops, have fun and get some exercise. i want something that climbs well too, im ready to spend about 3500 cad dollars.
    id love to demo some bikes but with covid, there isnt really any one willing to let me demo a bike these days.

for what its worth i like the anthem but i find the brakes are pretty crappy, and front suspension isnt all that great.

mtbr member
    The Anthem is the right size for your wife? I mean l get why you like that idea, but you donít want to stick her on a bike thatís not her size.

Even in CAD, $3500 is a decent budget. But just a thought, if you sold the Anthem could you afford a new bike for her and you both?

mtbr member
    May 2020
    That's probably a good option as long as the Anthem fits your wife. Make sure she enjoys it before dropping too much cash. Maybe just have it tuned and fit for her to make sure it's an enjoyable experience.

For your bike......I'm not sure of cost in Canada, but $3500 makes me think an aluminum frame with a decent parts spec. If you like Giant, check out their bikes. They are a decent value and make solid bikes. The Trance 29 get good reviews. Norco puts out a solid bike and should be available to you. I'm sure you will get a lot of suggestions on this post. I haven't ridden any new bikes in a while to strongly suggest. I like to shop the new, old stock bikes online and at LBS. You can get a great deal on previous year models sometimes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Yah the anthem fits her well. We are about the same height, shes 5'10". She's rented a mtb a few times last year and they always gave her a large.

I have thought about selling the anthem along with our 2 hybrid that never get used (already sold one last week) and just getting us each a new mountain bike, we'd probably get a better deal if we bought 2 at once. It was actually her idea to keep the anthem for herself.

mtbr member
    So what I would look at is a trail bike in 29er. Itís kind of the core segment for the average mtbr. 130-150 of travel, modern geo, but not super progressive.

Iím sure CAN has the same issue we do right now, nobody has bikes in stock. Not sure about the conversion rate, but the Rimpo AF goes for $3000US and has been very popular.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    $3500 CAD is quite a big budget. Good luck getting the high quality bike you need.