mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Help with bike choice: High School MTB team: Trek Pro Cal 9.6 or Santa Cruz Highball

Our son is looking for a hardtail for NICA racing on a high school team. Within his price range and sites right now are the Trek Pro Cal 9.6 and the Santa Cruz Highball. Thoughts? Or any other recommendations?

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikebb View Post
    Our son is looking for a hardtail for NICA racing on a high school team. Within his price range and sites right now are the Trek Pro Cal 9.6 and the Santa Cruz Highball. Thoughts? Or any other recommendations?
    I don't know anything about the trek procal96, but i've ridden a highball. You'd need to be a better rider than me, an expert who rides 3x a week, to be consistently faster on a highball than a longer bike. If it's not a dedicated race bike that's extra true. It's also extra true for a HS student who will probably grow over the next couple years- a longer bike will be much easier to adapt to a taller rider next season.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    I have friend who has is 13 year old on a Highball 27.5 He uses it for NICA racing and is pretty fast. Certainly no issues with the bike. I rode a 2012 highball for a long time. Great bike, but I wanted FS bike so I moved on.

You will get better advice on XC HT race bike in XC racing forum.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    I have friend who has is 13 year old on a Highball 27.5 He uses it for NICA racing and is pretty fast. Certainly no issues with the bike. I rode a 2012 highball for a long time. Great bike, but I wanted FS bike so I moved on.

You will get better advice on XC HT race bike in XC racing forum.
    Ah, ok! New here, I'll post in that forum.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

mtbr member
    We just got NICA started here in WV. Our focus is on getting kids riding and those that want to race can as well. I'm not sure how competitive it is there but I'd guess it's pretty tough with how big mtb is there. I recommend going to local bike shops to see what they offer and see if any of the LBS's are offering discounts to riders in the NICA program of for the team he will be on. That can sway a lot in the form of what bikes/equipment someone can get. Because if an LBS is a sponsor of that team it might like to help you all out more than you think and can even offer different advice for riding/racing and more.