Which Hardtails can run both 27.5+ and 29 ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Which Hardtails can run both 27.5+ and 29 ?

Lookig for a hardtail around $1500 for my first mtn bike in a long time...Which bikes out there can run both wheel sizes ?
    ​SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BIKE SHOP

mtbr member
    I know Salsa Timberjack can, and I am considering that bike
    ​SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BIKE SHOP

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Santa Cruz Chameleon does.

Bikesexual
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mbtr member
    If you can run 29 why on earth would you want to use B+?

Ok i know there's weird-birds that imagine some situation where being able to swap might be valuable. Identify all 6 where that's a feature, and ignore so many great hardtails that were designed for a specific ride character. Never mind that all the 'swappable' frames are going to be on the experience-restricting XC end of the spectrum.

This is all to say i think you're starting with the wrong question.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post

Ok i know there's weird-birds that imagine some situation where being able to swap might be valuable. Identify all 6 where that's a feature, and ignore so many great hardtails that were designed for a specific ride character. Never mind that all the 'swappable' frames are going to be on the experience-restricting XC end of the spectrum.

We're only a few posts in, but you've already won the useless post award for the thread. Big congrats!

OP, what size 29 and for what purpose? Based on bb height changes and trail worthiness of a tire, there are different answers. Any frame that takes a 27.5x3 can take a 29x1.75 if you just want to commute, but not all of them will take a 29x2.4 if you want the alternate trail riding ability.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    We're only a few posts in, but you've already won the useless post award for the thread. Big congrats!
    Thank you. I'd like to thank the Academy, God, and tfinator for his ability to politely upstage me. Respect!

But seriously. Identify what wheel size you want to run, figure out what frame geometry you want, and go from there. If a frame can run both wheel sizes... it's probably poorly suited to one of them. The details here are nuanced, but this is a low-value feature in the real world.
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Sorry Scott, kind of agree, just because a bike can fit both doesn't mean it can't be ridden aggressively, my 7 year old Banshee V2 Paradox can fit 2.8" B+ and 29x2.4", running B+ most definitely helps with giving a bit of cushioning in the rear, sometimes run B+ F&R, sometimes B+ rear/29x2.4" front.

So OP, basically any 29er frame with decent tyre clearance (if it can fit a 29x2.5", you should be able to fit at least a 2.8" B+), should be able to fit a B+ 2.8". Loads of options out there that can and will do both sizes, pretty much nearly any 29er frame these days, only thing you have to watch out for is BB height, as a 2.8" B+ is only about 28.5" tall, so you get some decent BB drop happening, this can be fixed if the BB is already high or by running a longer fork.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    May 2015
    If your price range is 1500 then where do you expect to get the 500$ for an extra wheel set that you can only use half the time.

Physically test ride a few tire sizes to get a feel for which tire size matches your riding style. Then spend that extra wheel set money on nicer components

To answer your original question, everyone else has been right and thanks to the fact that they are almost the same size you can always get a 29er that will fit 27+ 2.8 or you can get a 27+ that will fit 29er 2.0. Any company that produces a frame that can run both, 27+ 3.0 tires and 29 2.4, is taking some compromises on geometry to achieve the fit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    A few Chromag models will run both but can get pricey, even with the Asian made frames.

27.5+ isn't for everyone but its worth trying out if your frame is designed for it.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    Reasonably priced all mountain geo both 27.5+/29.
    PRIMAL PLUS 2017 | D A R T M O O R
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

Cycologist
    Kona Unit, Unit X if you want gears.
    By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to send me cookies.

mtbr member
    I wanted the same thing with the following-

Boost (110/148) sizing
    Threaded bottom bracket
    Decent fork & brakes
    1x11 drivetrain

Narrowed my choices to:
    Kona Big Honzo
    Salsa Timberjack
    Santa Cruz Chameleon

Why do I want the option of 29/27.5+? I like to ride plus in the winter. It has it's trade offs. More traction, yet takes a little more effort to start up. Makes for a little smoother ride. Are there compromises? Yes. But it's my #2 bike.

Oh btw, I bought the Chameleon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018

You know you are talking shite right? There are plenty frames that can run 27.5+ and 29 that are not XC end.

Nukeproof Scout, Chromags, the Chameleon, Karate Monkey, Pipedream Moxie, Kona Big Honzo, Cotic SolarisMAX and SodaMAX, Stanton Sherpa 853, Swarf Spline 29, Orange P7 29 and Crush 29, Kingdom Vendetta X2, Guerrilla Gravity Pedalhead, Production Privee Shan Gt, Nordest Barbino, Pole Taival
    Ragley Big Wig, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), Nashbar CXSS (workout)

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Nukeproof Scout 290 Sport is 999 shipped with duties paid from CRC. Get on the email list for back in stock.
    Vitus Sentier 29.
    NS Eccentric

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...824,4294957821

mtbr member
    I've been running 29 x 2.6 on my 2017 Norco Torrent. I assume current models have the same great tire clearance, just from looking I think I could fit a 29 x 2.8 no problem. And it rides great with both B+ and 29. It didn't make ExCivic's list, but the Torrent is also an all-mountain hardtail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    RollingBuffalo- There are a LOT of HT's that support either. It would be very difficult to list them all. Considering your tagline- what brands do your LBS's carry? LyNx is right, most 29er boost frames that will take a midsize tire will handle a 27.5+ (at least a 2.8). So if that convertability is a goal, I'd be looking for a bike that has a fork that can easily be changed 10-20mm with an airshaft swap.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
    You know you are talking shite right?
    Nope. Accommodating both wheel sizes seems sensible when you're buying a new bike and tires are a mystery, but basically nobody ever swaps back and forth in the real world. There's lots of options that accommodate both, but they tend to be more expensive because small scale production or a yolk is expensive to implement. This is vendors responding to market forces, not a feature for riders. A frame that was designed around a specific wheel size should be cheaper and have a more clearly defined use-case. Err... superior, in theory. Many of your suggestions bump against custom frame pricing, where the move to custom is obvious. A custom builder can work around the user's fit, handling, and geometry preferences.

You guys should keep compiling a list of versatile frames. That's interesting and useful. I thought i was stating the obvious and have minimal interest in the discussion. No opinion on the 29/27+ frames that are out there; i build my own frames so i have my own opinions on the details.

Ultimately this is all details and none of it matters. Which goes to my original point- you're ignoring a lot of good bikes if you only look at ones that can fit multiple wheel sizes.
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Nope. Accommodating both wheel sizes seems sensible when you're buying a new bike and tires are a mystery, but basically nobody ever swaps back and forth in the real world. There's lots of options that accommodate both, but they tend to be more expensive because small scale production or a yolk is expensive to implement. This is vendors responding to market forces, not a feature for riders. A frame that was designed around a specific wheel size should be cheaper and have a more clearly defined use-case. Err... superior, in theory. Many of your suggestions bump against custom frame pricing, where the move to custom is obvious. A custom builder can work around the user's fit, handling, and geometry preferences.

You guys should keep compiling a list of versatile frames. That's interesting and useful. I thought i was stating the obvious and have minimal interest in the discussion. No opinion on the 29/27+ frames that are out there; i build my own frames so i have my own opinions on the details.

Ultimately this is all details and none of it matters. Which goes to my original point- you're ignoring a lot of good bikes if you only look at ones that can fit multiple wheel sizes.
    I know several people local to me that swap back and forth between 27.5+ and 29 depending on conditions and the type of riding.

I honestly think more aggressive hardtails offer the ability to swap back and forth between the two wheel sizes then don't. I am not sure I understand what the downside to being able to run either wheel size is.

Of course all that being said I just bought a Ragley Big Wig frame which only runs 29.
    Ragley Big Wig, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), Nashbar CXSS (workout)

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Nope. Accommodating both wheel sizes seems sensible when you're buying a new bike and tires are a mystery, but basically nobody ever swaps back and forth in the real world.
    I swap back and forth all the time. My FS and hardtail both accommodate 29" and 27.5+". 27.5+ for soft conditions, early/late season debris filled trails and rocky, loose terrain. I put the 29ers on for everything else.

Having both options is great when you're encountering 4 season conditions here in Northern New England
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    Accommodating both wheel sizes seems sensible when you're buying a new bike and tires are a mystery, but basically nobody ever swaps back and forth in the real world.... you're ignoring a lot of good bikes if you only look at ones that can fit multiple wheel sizes.
    Not an expert, and certainly not a frame builder, but if nothing else I do qualify as a "real world user". And I've actually found a lot of reasons to run my 27.5+ Norco Torrent in 29x2.6 shoes, in fact for now I think I like it better that way. It does raise the bottom bracket a bit, but I found I got used to that quickly. Meanwhile, the 27.5 wheelset is ripping on my 29er Banshee Phantom.

Admittedly, I'm not swapping back and forth often, which requires some brake adjustments every time, but the option is there and when I do.... I get a whole new kind of ride.

There are so many good hardtails that can run both sizes that I don't think ignoring the ones that can't is a problem, if you think you'll want the option to experiment.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The RSD Middlechild can run 27.5x3 and 29x2.6. Although it is north of $1500.
    RSD Middlechild
    RSD Ambassador