Anytime. Anywhere.

Hardtail Group Test

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/best-hardcore-hardtail/

What, the Moxie didn't win? I don't think I would change anything on mine except for a bit more rear tire clearance. I would love to try the Pole and Stanton to compare though.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Mine didn't even make the cut.

I don't think a hardtail test is complete without a Chromag (of any variety) and a Honzo in the mix.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Enduro Mag is European, so that's what they test. I would love to demo a Rootdown, but this is very unlikely to happen. I have PRd a number of the trails we rode on my Moxie, and come within a second or two on others. Hardtails are a legitimate segment, but most riders can't get their heads around this.

mtbr member
    No Nukeproof!?

Test is already a fraud!!

Nukeproof is the Sun, the rest are mere shadows.

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    I'm going to pull the trigger on a nukeproof scout race here in a couple of weeks,,just can't make up my mind on a 275 or a 290,,,never realized how hard of a decision tire size is,I've always just defaulted to a 27.5 but now seriously thinking a 29er hardtail would be kinda fun

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by White7 View Post
    I'm going to pull the trigger on a nukeproof scout race here in a couple of weeks,,just can't make up my mind on a 275 or a 290,,,never realized how hard of a decision tire size is,I've always just defaulted to a 27.5 but now seriously thinking a 29er hardtail would be kinda fun
    Do it ^^

I've got the '17 Scout 290...

Wicked ride.

Running 23mm ID rims w/ 140mm X-Fusion fork.

Gonna splash out & build up some 30mm ID rims - KORE UST'ees.

Then I'll sell the X-Fusion and buy a Pike/Yari @140mm.

At the moment a true 2.35 is all I can run up front w/ the X-Fusion. A true 2.5 should fit out back.

2.6 front (w/ new non-boost fork) & 2.5 back - will help smooth out the bumps & provide more grip.

HT's make more sense for Wintery trails.

Not sure on tires I'd be running, cross that bridge when I get to it I guess.

Got a riding bud, who runs 2.8's on a Kona Honzo & he rips!

'Born to ride!'

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    Then I'll sell the X-Fusion and buy a Pike/Yari @140mm.
    I have a custom tuned pike rct3 in my garage that i'm unwilling to sell because it's fkn garbage and it will weigh on my conscience. I also have a xfusion sweep (with matched bushing and a custom tuned roughcut damper) that is easily the best fork i've ever used. Draw your own conclusions.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

Anytime. Anywhere.
    They liked the Stanton Switcher and Pole Taival, but I don't think I would like the fit of either of these.

I threw a leg over the large Rootdown yesterday , and I think the Moxie is a better fit for me. The seat tube length and standover are no go for my stumpy legs.

Ride On

Hardtail Group Test

Ugh I love Enduromtb pics and videos but their editorial effort needs work. Because it’s not listed Stanton geo figures are at sag which is different than the other manufacturers listed figures in this um “group test”.

I prefer referring to ht geo numbers at sag but for gosh sakes if your comparing bikes and their geo a little consistency is useful.

They all look like great bikes. That Airdrop though.... makes my knees and ankles sore just looking at it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I feel like this category is getting bigger and bigger everyday. I can't keep track of all the trail hardtails these days.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

since 4/10/2009
    Still pretty disappointing that they didn't include anything from any NA companies in the list.

Also would have been nice if they'd included a little more detail about each of the bikes in the test. I don't necessarily want to read the full reviews for each bike (which they did at least link to), but a solid paragraph on each one would have been nice. Instead, we get a couple sentences at best, and MAYBE a photo caption if we're lucky.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    They liked the Stanton Switcher and Pole Taival, but I don't think I would like the fit of either of these.

I threw a leg over the large Rootdown yesterday , and I think the Moxie is a better fit for me. The seat tube length and standover are no go for my stumpy legs.
    Do you know if you tried a 2019? They got 25mm less seat tube and standover this year, I'd been holding off on getting one up until this year when they updated them, for the same reason.

I had a stylus before since they have shorter seat tubes.

I wanted to go 29er and almost bought a moxie. The short seattube nice for sure along with the adjustable stays.

Then they updated the rootdown so I pulled the trigger. It a few rides on it but it is a beast.
    I think you are a BC guy, I live on the north shore so if you're ever in town let's go for a hardtail shred!

Anytime. Anywhere.
    We have a large 2019 Rootdown built up at the shop. The M/L isn't built yet, but I'll try the fit once it is. I live in Cumberland on Vancouver Island which is mellower than the Shore. I'm looking forward to reading about your Rootdown.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    I have a custom tuned pike rct3 in my garage that i'm unwilling to sell because it's fkn garbage and it will weigh on my conscience. I also have a xfusion sweep (with matched bushing and a custom tuned roughcut damper) that is easily the best fork i've ever used. Draw your own conclusions.
    Don't get me wrong... I love my Trace.

But, it's got deep pockets & short arms! o_0

'Born to ride!'

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Here ya go Travis! Edit: there a link below this line of text, not sure why it's not actually visible...

Chromag Bikes - Chromag Bikes | Bikes | Rootdown BA 29" / 27.5"

The m/l is pretty similar to the long pipedream, but several degrees slacker obviously. I love chromag and love made in Canada stuff, but I still just can't justify $1900 for a hardtail frame. At any rate though kudos to chromag for making such a bleeding edge frame available!

At 64 degrees I still do feel my rootdown could be a degree slacker with no ill effects. A 1 degree slacker and a 170 fork would make the angles similar to the doctahawk. When I saw the doctahawks short seat tube the pipedream comparison immediately spring to mind though.

I am loving the rootdown, I think I love the 2.6" SE5 front and 2.4" XR4 rear tires the most. Big wheels with big rubber is the best. I really appreciate the relatively high bottom bracket as well (just over 320mm with these tires).

It makes me want to try a trek full stache. I am surprised I don't see more 29+ bikes on the shore. They make sense here. Not lots of options around and not very fashionable either I guess.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    They went full Enduro with the Doctahawk, love it.

mtbr member
    Need to test Vassago Radimus Ti.

Radimus Ti Frame

Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyWatson View Post
    It makes me want to try a trek full stache. I am surprised I don't see more 29+ bikes on the shore. They make sense here. Not lots of options around and not very fashionable either I guess.
    Agreed. I'm working on a new hardtail and it'll be 29+ compatible. They way those mega wagon wheels roll is amazing.

Doctahawk looks nice. If it was slacker and could take a longer fork and 29+ I'd be all over it.
    Last edited by vikb; 1 Week Ago at 06:10 PM.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Ride On
    The Doctahawk is freaking awesome. I think taller folks can finally find a bike that fits them right. I believe it is officially the steepest seat angle bike on the market. At sag it’s 79deg! That’s all the time! Clearly a solid winch and plummet machine.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    My boss and I compared it to the new Commencal DH bike which has a XCish 63° HTA. My Moxie seems like a 95 hardtail in comparison.

Pinehurst NC
    Riding in jeans and work boots? Pass on any real test results...
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

mtbr member
    My boss and I compared it to the new Commencal DH bike which has a XCish 63° HTA. My Moxie seems like a 95 hardtail in comparison.
    Add a 180mm fork and -2 deg angle set and you'd be at least 2017 on the Moxie.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Ride On
    Ya but I bet that 63 has tack sharp handling... 🙃