Handlebars cannot do full 360- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2019

Handlebars cannot do full 360

Hi. I crashed recently on my new bike, I got up and noticed that my handlebars dont turn to the left. Lets use the clock position - going straight is 12 o'clock, right is 3 and left is 9. With that in mind my handlebars turned to 3 o'clock while turning right, but only to 11 o'clock when turning left. If I used a little bit more strength I was able to turn the handlebars to the left and that seemed to "unblock" the left side, but it blocked the right side. So now I was able to turn to 9 o'clock turning left, but only to 1 o'clock on the right. What can be causing such a behaviour? I tried to google, but maybe I dont know how to really describe it...

I eventually got it to turn the same distance on both sides from 10 to 2 o'clock. As I mentioned it is a new bike and I didn't try if the bars can do a full spin, but I have enough space for the handlebars to spin, the fork does not hit the frame and the same goes for the wheel. So I am assuming I should be able to turn the bars full 360 right?

Can anyone explain that to me, or point me the right direction?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Sounds like you bunged the headset bearings. Could be overtight now, loosen the stem from the steerer and loosen the top cap a little and see what happens.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Are your cables getting caught on something when you turn the bars?

Unless your bike was specifically set up to do bar spins (most mountain bikes are not) then you should not be able to turn the bars 360 due to the cables.

Cycologist
    Do what Twicehorn suggests but if you don't know what you are doing, take it to your LBS.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    I am pretty technically capable, so taking apart a bike is fine so I took the headset apart and I suppose I should have just look better. The very first part/ring touching the bar says "blocklock". It has a ridge that only goes to about 70% of a circle that prevents the bars from spinning full 360. This is how it looks like. I did try the bars without it and I can turn 360 just fine. No cable tension, no fork/wheel vs frame problems.

Thanks for the help!

slow
    That headset design is to keep your bars from spinning too far and allowing your bars or brake levers to hit the top tube and damaging your frame. One or both pieces need to be re-centered to allow an even amount of movement in both directions, which it sounds like you have done. If you remove the blocking part, your bars will turn farther, but you run the risk of having them hit the frame in a crash and damaging the frame.

Edit: This is similar to a feature that TREK uses called the knock block.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    That headset design is to keep your bars from spinning too far and allowing your bars or brake levers to hit the top tube and damaging your frame. ...

I was wondering what the true purpose really is. That makes sense. I am not trying to do barspins so I am perfectly fine with this system. Thanks!