Handlebar Clamping Area- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Handlebar Clamping Area

I'm trying to find out if all 31.8 handlebars have the same width on the clamping area. I'd like to add a handlebar harness mount next to some aerobars but there is no room because the handlebar tapers down and apparently there are no reducers to accommodate that narrow of a diameter. So, anyone know of a bar that has a longer 31.8 width to add more accessories? Thanks.

mtbr member
    I'm guessing this isn't an mtb? The length of the 31.8 center section varies a lot, and some bars (road) disrecommend attaching clamp on aerobars. You'll have to shop around for bars with the center section long and strong enough to accommodate your clamping needs. There are a few bars where the entire top section is 31.8.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Yes, it's a mountain bike. I'm setting it up to do a long tour and the aerobars are just for hand fatigue relief. I've done online searches but can't find any that designate what their center section measurements are. Thanks and I'll search again for the type you mentioned.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by garylf View Post
    Yes, it's a mountain bike. I'm setting it up to do a long tour and the aerobars are just for hand fatigue relief. I've done online searches but can't find any that designate what their center section measurements are. Thanks and I'll search again for the type you mentioned.
    Your can use rubber shims or make some with rubber cement. I've used sugru with great results for similar projects.

I've also made shims from many wraps of tape, and covering the sticky side with another piece.

I think it would be wise to find a bar that is comfortable then adapt it than go the other way. Good luck.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Try bar ends and/or pogs instead of aero? Gives another hand position w/o interfering with the center section.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I hear ya. Already have the Ergon GP3 grips. I'm trying to give myself multiple hand positions.

mtbr member
    FWIW: I've ridden aerobars doing time trials (a road/TT bike). Handling is a bit weird with my elbows on the pads and hands on the extension. With some practice it's OK on smooth roads but gets pretty iffy on uneven surfaces and cornering.

For added hand positions, I've seen a few rider mount bar ends inside the grips or controls rather than on the ends of the bars.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I agree on the handling being weird but I have mine elevated 60mm above the bars so I'm not leaning over much but more sitting upright. I wouldn't trust my skill level to use them on anything but flat and level roads.