GT Terra 26- Mtbr.com

Thread: GT Terra 26

mtbr member
    May 2020

GT Terra 26

Hi Community!

I'm new to the site and generally to the mountain bike community. My apologies in advance for my ignorance. As it goes, I bought a vintage MTB a few years ago and in the last month or two, I've been leaning on restoring the bike as it rides and feels like a glove. I'm still unsure of what model of GT terra it is, can someone please take a stab at ID the frame? As for the upgrades, I'll like to tackle the fork as the current one is totally shot. I'm thinking just a standard fork (no suspension) as I primarily use the bike for city and small trails. Can anyone recommend a fork?

Thanks you!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GT Terra 26-20200529_091703.jpg  

GT Terra 26-20200529_091714.jpg  

GT Terra 26-20200529_091738.jpg  

mbtr member
    Looks like a 94-95 avalanche AL to me.

IMO you want a ~450mm axle to crown rigid fork. I don't know offhand what fork you want, but the usual places to look are soma and surly, and i wouldn't hesitate to put a mosso or something cheap and taiwanese on that bike. A beefcake alu fork will match the personality of the frame.

I'm pretty sure you can still get elastomers for the quadra 21r. I'd rather ride rigid, tbh, but maybe rebuilding the best iteration of a bad idea sounds fun to you. (it almost does to me)

You'd expect your saddle to be within 2* of level when it's comfortable. Having it pointed down like that implies that the distance to the handlebars is too long, or the bars are too low. Or the saddle doesn't fit at all.

Cool bike. Welcome to the forum.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Scottzg,

I appreciate you ID'ng the frame and sharing your knowledge. Simplicity is best, I will let the quadra die and stick to a rigid fork. As I'm still getting familiar with the terminology and sizes, do you reckon the fork listed below will work?

https://www.ebay.com/i/202977038834

Best,

Ra

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ViceGTO² View Post
    Scottzg,

I appreciate you ID'ng the frame and sharing your knowledge. Simplicity is best, I will let the quadra die and stick to a rigid fork. As I'm still getting familiar with the terminology and sizes, do you reckon the fork listed below will work?

https://www.ebay.com/i/202977038834

Best,

Ra
    Bluh, you're asking me to recall some seriously old memories.

No, that fork is threaded, and you want threadless. This can get complicated, but let's just say the steerer is wrong. Also, that fork doesn't look like it's designed to replace a suspension fork. (axle to crown 360mm)

I have a seriously clapped out/maintained 2006 rs pike/bb7/rotor that i'll sell for almost free... but i'm not really doing either of us a favor. Shoot me a pm as your last resort.

You want a 1 1/8th steerer, 430-460 axle-crown, 9mm dropouts fork. Pre-corona, this was a common thing to get cheap from international vendors.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    May 2020
    I see... well let me bury my head in the sand and really look around for the correct fork. Thanks again scottzg!!!