mtbr member
    May 2008

Good pedaling trail bike that is also good for hucking

I have a BMC Speedfox 03 that I love for trail riding but started getting into jumping and drops. I'm considering upgrading certain things to make it more of an AM bike or getting more of an AM bike.

I enjoy technical climbs so want something that climbs well. Would like a slack HTA - around 67.5. Could go with alu or carbon, although I'd prefer alu for the price and get better components. Would consider a 27.5 too, but would want to demo first as I've been on 29ers for a long time. Want strongish stock wheels so I wouldn't have to upgrade right away, along with ok suspension - RS or Fox and not a coil fork. The Yeti SB4.5 seems appealing and Nate Hills can definitely huck with it. But it comes at a steep price. Realize I'm asking a lot, I also want a victoria secret model to come with it and my wife to be cool with it.

Any recommendations of bikes I should check out?

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I don't think you're asking too much. You're asking pretty much for what EVERY new trail bike is designed for. You can probably take your pick of the litter. Several things I'd be curious about on a scale of 1-10. How important are the following:

- Fire road climbing
    - Tight rough climbing
    - "Playfulness" or how "Nimble" the bike feels
    - Fast open descending
    - Tight twisty descending

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Ive sent my coupon in for that Victoria secrets model and am still waiting for it in the mail. Hope it doesn't get damaged in shipping. I think they put the " do not bend" sticker on the box.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Here's the bike that I have and seems to fit your requirements.

Guerrilla Gravity | Shred Dogg | Info, Geometry, and Specs

I love it to pieces.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
    I have a BMC Speedfox 03 that I love for trail riding but started getting into jumping and drops. I'm considering upgrading certain things to make it more of an AM bike or getting more of an AM bike.

I enjoy technical climbs so want something that climbs well. Would like a slack HTA - around 67.5. Could go with alu or carbon, although I'd prefer alu for the price and get better components. Would consider a 27.5 too, but would want to demo first as I've been on 29ers for a long time. Want strongish stock wheels so I wouldn't have to upgrade right away, along with ok suspension - RS or Fox and not a coil fork. The Yeti SB4.5 seems appealing and Nate Hills can definitely huck with it. But it comes at a steep price. Realize I'm asking a lot, I also want a victoria secret model to come with it and my wife to be cool with it.

Any recommendations of bikes I should check out?
    I would recommend looking at the Pivot Mach 429 Trail, Ibis Ripley LS, Evil The Following, SC Tallboy, and the Intense Primer if your looking for a nimble 29er trail bike. The Following and Primer are the most AM out of the group, followed by the 429T and Ripley. The Tallboy definitely the most XC out of the group.

I personally own a 429T and love it. It's a fantastic climber while also being capable descender and providing flickable and poppy ride. The Tallboy and Ripley should climb similarly well, but I have heard that the Primer and Following are not quite as efficient.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks all, good recommendations. I've heard about some of them and will look into them more.

After my ride today and talking with two guys with 27.5 trail/enduro bikes, I think I'll keep my SpeedFox and get a 27.5 for more aggressive stuff. I still want to toss a leg over one, but I think I'll get the hang of the smaller wheels relatively quickly. I'm also not sure if it'll be my go to bike so will probably keep the price to the lowest specs and upgrade when needed.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Yupstate View Post
    I don't think you're asking too much. You're asking pretty much for what EVERY new trail bike is designed for. You can probably take your pick of the litter. Several things I'd be curious about on a scale of 1-10. How important are the following:
    Good question. It's tricky because there's some overlap with my other bikes, so not sure if I go further towards enduro, or if I'll be disappointed if I can't clean some technical/lung pumping climbs I can already on my SpeedFox.

I would say

Fire road climbing : 4
    Tight rough climbing : 6
    "Playfulness" or how "Nimble" the bike feels - 9 (there's tons of tight twisty singletrack around me)
    Fast open descending - 4
    Tight twisty descending - 8 (part of the reason why I want a ~67 degree HTA) - I enjoy technical up and down

I would also add something that feels great getting air - 7

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Good question. It's tricky because there's some overlap with my other bikes, so not sure if I go further towards enduro, or if I'll be disappointed if I can't clean some technical/lung pumping climbs I can already on my SpeedFox.

I would say

"Playfulness" or how "Nimble" the bike feels - 9 (there's tons of tight twisty singletrack around me)
    Fast open descending - 4
    Tight twisty descending - 8 (part of the reason why I want a ~67 degree HTA) - I enjoy technical up and down

Depending on how tall you are, I would typically steer away from a 29er. Most all mountain bikes are pretty solid these days, it's subjective and totally up to you to decide. That said, I would say look for something with a slack head angle and shorter chain stays. This will make your bike more "playful."

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    As Curveball, I would say Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail/shred Dogg.

Yes, I have one, and I know the guys. But I also had Treks, Specialized, Evil Calling, Giant Reign, and countless steel hardtails.

I haven't yet found a bike that beats the versatility of the GG. It's a good climber, and I'm not afraid to huck it like crazy when I feel like it. Yes, it's on the long side of "playful" bikes, yes, the HA is fairly steep in full Megatrail mode, but that bike is good!
    French line enthusiast and expat in Denver, ig; lazoup

Megatrail FS

I Like bikes, I really do

mtbr member
    Apr 2016

I would say

Fast open descending - 4

With those priorities jut be careful not to go TOO big. Iíve ridden some long bikes that when you read reviews only youíd think they climb great (29er Spec Enduro, Pivot Firebird) and while they grind up fire roads efficiently, they are BIG and arenít much fun until youíre going down steep rough stuff.

If youíre keeping the 29er but want a playful 27.5 shredder, thereís alot out there that will fit the bill and arenít too huge. I own a Pivot Mach 5.5, great but itís pricey. Norco Sight, Ibis Mojo3, Giant Trance, YT Jeffsy, Devinci Troy, Intense Recluse, probably more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Rocky Mountain Altitude...

Aggressive trail shredder ;-)

'We'll all make it to the top... Some of us, might not make it to the bottom'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Yupstate View Post
    With those priorities jut be careful not to go TOO big. Iíve ridden some long bikes that when you read reviews only youíd think they climb great (29er Spec Enduro, Pivot Firebird) and while they grind up fire roads efficiently, they are BIG and arenít much fun until youíre going down steep rough stuff.

If youíre keeping the 29er but want a playful 27.5 shredder, thereís alot out there that will fit the bill and arenít too huge. I own a Pivot Mach 5.5, great but itís pricey. Norco Sight, Ibis Mojo3, Giant Trance, YT Jeffsy, Devinci Troy, Intense Recluse, probably more.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. I should try some out to get a better feel.

The Recluse could be a good option. I don't know much about Intense and seems like the stock wheels are pretty weak, but could possibly get one marked down where it wouldn't be that bad to build up some wheels for it.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Great recommendations. Guerrilla Gravity seems like they make some great stuff. If I live closer to the mountains I would probably go that route. But a lot of the stuff that I ride is smaller ups and downs, so I want to make sure something pedals and climbs well, which they all may but I realize I should test some out before putting a lot of $ into one. I think I'll stick to ~2.4 tires too, where it seems like a few are a bit wider but if I get the chance I'm sure trying a 2.8 would be fun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    If 2.8's are on the wish-list, the Ibis Mojo3 is one of the few 27.5 bikes that will let you run any size 27.5" tire. It's a great bike that I've also ridden (for maybe 10 minutes) and it probably would be great for what you are looking at.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I would look into the trail pistol (120mm rear travel 29er from GG, i think you can have them spec a longer stroke shock for a little more squish) it can still huck with the best of the gg bikes but is slightly more XC focused.

mtbr member
    Look at bikes with a DW Link. That design climbs exceptionally well and descends fantastic. I had an Ibis mojo HD with coil that was great on the climbs, drops and in the park. Absolute quiver killer.

mtbr member
    Great recommendations. Guerrilla Gravity seems like they make some great stuff. If I live closer to the mountains I would probably go that route. But a lot of the stuff that I ride is smaller ups and downs, so I want to make sure something pedals and climbs well, which they all may but I realize I should test some out before putting a lot of $ into one. I think I'll stick to ~2.4 tires too, where it seems like a few are a bit wider but if I get the chance I'm sure trying a 2.8 would be fun.
    The GG Shred Dogg will do 2.4 tires. It also takes 2.8 tires. It can take 29" wheels. It does do small ups and downs extremely well.

It's a blast to jump and I've greatly improved my jumping with it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Look at a 2018 transition scout, I have one, itís a fun bike, climbs better than you would think and it loves to get wide open and whipped around. Itís heavy though, allegedly will have a carbon version soonish that will drop several lbs off the weight. Mine was 31/32 lbs with pedals. I also weigh 220 so doesnít much matter to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rad3144 View Post
    Look at a 2018 transition scout, I have one, itís a fun bike, climbs better than you would think and it loves to get wide open and whipped around. Itís heavy though, allegedly will have a carbon version soonish that will drop several lbs off the weight. Mine was 31/32 lbs with pedals. I also weigh 220 so doesnít much matter to me

Was just talking to a guy on the trails yesterday with the same bike. He loves it too so I put it on my list. I plan to demo a few bikes too to help narrow down if I want more trail or enduro

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I picked up a lightly used Ibis HD3 over Christmas as my single do-all bike. I debated between the Mojo3 and HD3, but in the end wanted something that would be more at home on rough downhills and taking some abuse as I learn to jump better. It climbs well - I try to ride all singletrack up routes when possible - and I leave the shock open all the time. It is nice and poppy, though the Mojo3 would be even better there. I think they introduced a boost rear triangle capable of running plus sized tires sometime in 2016.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rad3144 View Post

AFAIK, the carbon Scout has been around for years.

mtbr member
    Might want to look at the Canfield Riot if you want a bike that shreds and pedals. I own a Balance which the longer travel 27.5 version.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Was just talking to a guy on the trails yesterday with the same bike. He loves it too so I put it on my list. I plan to demo a few bikes too to help narrow down if I want more trail or enduro

mtbr member
    Oh, the Norco Sight is also a fantastic trail bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I think it would be hard to go wrong with any of these suggestions

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I got a chance to try a couple last night and realized a 27.5 with ~150 would be a great addition to my quiver. Someone mentioned that YT was having closeouts on their 2017s, the Jeffsy fit what I was looking for with decent component at a great price so I jumped on it. And if it becomes my main bike I have some $ left over for upgrading components (probably wheels first).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    Might want to look at the Canfield Riot if you want a bike that shreds and pedals. I own a Balance which the longer travel 27.5 version.
    What he said ^^^ I have the riot and balance and they both are great climbers and better hold on on the downs and pray you can keep up with it.

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Raleighguy29 View Post
    What he said ^^^ I have the riot and balance and they both are great climbers and better hold on on the downs and pray you can keep up with it.

have same set up and i agree

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Yeah, I have to say if you're doing chunky and twisty trails you can't beat a Riot. Short enough wheelbase and great suspension for technical climbing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    It's too bad it's not made anymore, but the Canfield The One was spot on great for what the OP was asking about. That rear suspension was magic when it came to huge impacts. And it's even rated for a dual crown. But it pedaled amazing. I had one and regret selling it.

mtbr member
    Buy literally any new trail bike on the market. It'll do what you're asking

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kg_img View Post
    It's too bad it's not made anymore, but the Canfield The One was spot on great for what the OP was asking about. That rear suspension was magic when it came to huge impacts. And it's even rated for a dual crown. But it pedaled amazing. I had one and regret selling it.
    Their 2017 Balance is the next iteration of their The One. More refined suspension that is 1/2" shorter and rated for a dual crown. It might be hard to get one now though.

try anything on a bike
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    have same set up and i agree
    Have a Riot. Agree wonít find a better climbing bike in this suspension category. And the descents will never leave you wanting more bike
    The most freeride like fat bike I could make with available parts...

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Their 2017 Balance is the next iteration of their The One. More refined suspension that is 1/2" shorter and rated for a dual crown. It might be hard to get one now though.
    They are closing out the remaining new 2017 frames. Rumor is that carbon versions are in the works.

mtbr member
    ^^ Not a rumor and yeah, x7 on the Riot recommendation but looks like the OP bought a Jeffsy which would have been my second choice. When it comes to huckable bikes that still behave and climb well for trail use, nothing beats Canfield.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JRutter View Post
    They are closing out the remaining new 2017 frames. Rumor is that carbon versions are in the works.
    Yes, the closeouts have diminished their inventory. If one is looking for a Canfield it is best to call them directly.

Carbon is already being run by the Bros but they are not available yet.

Good pedaling trail bike that is also good for hucking-carbon-canfield.jpg

I'll keep my 2016 Balance 'til it dies or it kills me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    If you want to ride trails on saturday and ride street on sunday, either build your own hardtail or buy a complete. A hardtail is nimble enough that you can treat it like a big BMX.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Yes, the closeouts have diminished their inventory. If one is looking for a Canfield it is best to call them directly.

Carbon is already being run by the Bros but they are not available yet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carbon Canfield.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	175.2 KB 
ID:	1192148

I'll keep my 2016 Balance 'til it dies or it kills me.
    Is that the ElevenSix?

mtbr member
    Get a Pivot Switchblade with 27.5 and 29 wheelsets like me. I'm biased but the bike just rips everywhere.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I picked up a 2017 Niner RIP 9 RDO in late February and so far it has proven itself to be a capable and efficient climber and is more than capable on descents.