Good cheap FS AM bikes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014

New question here. Good cheap FS AM bikes?

Hi!
    I enjoying biking and have been riding a regular mountain bike with no shocks.
    I need an upgrade and love to go offroad on challenging terrains, up/down hill. I was at a bike auction yesterday and there was a Diamondback XSL that went for $330 (it did need new disk breaks and maybe front shocks... good deal missed?)
    I dont want a hardtail bike, but only a full suspension. Are there any good FS bikes that you can get for under $1000? (have not been able to find one yet. can be used)

If there are not any how about buying just the frame and the parts separately? How much would that cost me to build after ordering everything?

What are some good brands to buy?

Thank you!

since 4/10/2009
    no such thing. that diamondback was NOT a good deal. New brakes and fork would very likely cost twice as much as the whole bike. And if the brakes and fork were shot, there's a good chance that lots of the rest of the bike were in need of replacement, too.

if you are starting from nothing, buying a frame and parts is usually going to be more expensive unless you have access to freebies and have friends with lightly used parts willing to sell for a better price. Plus, you'll need access to lots of tools and have the ability to do it yourself without screwing it up (labor costs of assembly). There are a lot of ways for you to run into component incompatibility so you'll need to do your due diligence researching components, frames, and standards for headsets, bottom brackets, and axles to start with.

It's most definitely not a cheap way of doing it, especially as a new rider. It's my preferred way these days, however.

Lightly used can be a way to go, too. Deals can be found, however, you have to be able to tell if you're looking at something that's worn out and needs service or not. If I was in the used market, I'd probably only look at bikes less than a few years old. The older it is the less you know about its history.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Are you wanting an "all mountain" style bike? Slack head angle, 6" travel, for aggressive downhills and still being able to climb, or just a decent full suspension bike that can hold up to some trail riding and smaller drops?

If the former it will definitely have to be used, deals can often be found on the less popular brands like Jamis, Ironhorse, Kona, and Marin. With an all mountain type bike the prices get expensive quickly for lighter weight parts that are still strong and more efficient, better climbing suspension designs. If you plan to keep your rigid bike for smoother, more XC style riding as well you can go with a heavier, more downhill oriented bike.

As far as a decent trail bike for less aggressive riding, the Giant Yukon FX is hard to beat on a $1000 budget. Good frame and suspension design, a bit heavy and lower end components, but they will work and can be upgraded in the future.

Yukon FX (2013) | Giant Bicycles | United States

You're unlikely to be able to build anything decent for $1,000 unless you have a donor bike to take everything off of and can spend your budget on a frame and fork, or have buddies with spare parts bins they will trade you for beer.

A bit more about the area you ride, your weight and riding style will help you find the right bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Thanks for the reply guys
    Kinda glad now that I did not buy the diamondback.
    Maybe for now building a bike from the frame may be a little too expensive for now for me. I dont want a bike that is designed for going downhill so I am looking for a decent "all mountain" bike. I am kinda an aggresive biker when it comes to trails :P
    The trails I have areound here are some off-road trails in forested areas with lots of bumps/roots. Other trails are just dirt ones that wind and very from uphill to downhill steepness. Some are just paved bike paths.
    I love to go offroad and fast.
    Have you guys heard of the brand Ghost?

mtbr member
    Here are two you may want to consider:

Kona Precept DL 1900.00
    Fezzari Alta Peak 2000.00

They are both 27.5"-wheeled trail bikes with slack angles and respectable specs. THIS is the lowest I would pay for a FS bike. A sub-1000 dollar FS bike is like bigfoot.......does not exist. You could probably find some older used models, but shop wisely and become familiar with bike brands/parts/ and specs. That way, you may avoid some pitfalls. Good luck.
    “NICE ASS!”

-Sheriff Buford T. Justice

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by coot271 View Post
    A sub-1000 dollar FS bike is like bigfoot.......does not exist.
    Did you mean a good FS bike? I ask because there are full suspension bikes, 29ers, no less, at around $200.

I do think, though, that the OP would end up happier with a good AM hard tail to start. You can get an excellent one used and cheap, and it will be cheaper to maintain with less to go wrong. JMHO
    2014 Trek Remedy 8 29er
    2003 Gary Fisher X-Caliber

mtbr member
    Yes, I meant that there are no good FS bikes under 1000. + 1 for mumphry's .02 cents......go AM hardtail.
    “NICE ASS!”

mtbr member
    theres not many, if any, AM FS bikes under $2k (new anyway). most are like $2500+

you can get a Trail bike under $2k, but not much under $2k

if your budget is $1k, id get a 26" hardtail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Thanks everyone.
    Perhaps I may think of going with a hardtail for now or upping my budget. I did however come across the following FS bikes (they 1-3 years old) but new. Any of these would be a good deal?

2012 New Jamis Dakar XCT COMP
    Price: $1,149
    Good cheap FS AM bikes?-p4pb10765495.jpg
    Code:
    SPECIFICATIONS
    Frame
    Kinesium alloy, 130mm travel mp4 linkage design, cartridge bearing pivots, 1.5 - 1 1/8" tapered head tube, asymmetrical chainstays, Rock Shox Monarch R High Volume shock with 10mm hardware, replaceable derailleur hanger, Maxle Lite rear axle
    fork
    RST Titan-15 Air, air spring, hydraulic Lockout with external rebound damping, 32mm stanchions, magnesium lower legs, tapered alloy steerer, 140mm travel

headset FSA Orbit 1.5 Zero-Stack internal cup, for tapered head tube, 30mm shim stack
    Wheels
    Mavic XM319 disc-specific rims, 32H, eyeletted, Formula sealed bearing alloy 15mm thru-axle front and 12 x 135mm thru-axle rear disc hubs, stainless spokes

Tires Geax Gato 2.3" front and AKA 2.2" rear, rigid
    Derailleurs SRAM X5 rear and SRAM X5 34.9mm top pull front
    Shiftlevers SRAM X5, 9-speed
    Chain: SRAM PC-951
    Cassette SRAM PG-950, 9-speed, 11-34
    Crankset SRAM X5 GXP, 44/32/22, 170mm (15"), 175mm (17-21")
    BB Set SRAM GXP integrated
    Pedals N/A
    Brakeset Avid Elixir 1 hydraulic disc brakes with 180mm front & 160mm rear HS1 rotors
    handlebar Ritchey Mountain Rizer, 31.8 x 20mm rise x 670mm
    Stem Ritchey 4-bolt OS, 6o x 90mm (15"), 100mm (17-19") & 120mm (21")
    grips Jamis Lock-On, dual density
    Seatpost Ritchey 2B OS, 31.6 x 400mm with alloy clamp and cromo seatpin
    Saddle WTB Volt Sport, steel rails

2012 New Jamis Dakar XC COMP
    Price: $899
    Good cheap FS AM bikes?-p4pb10165578.jpg
    Code:
    SPECIFICATIONS for 2012 JAMIS DAKAR XC COMP
    Frame
    7005 aluminum tubes with gusseted down tube, asymmetrical chainstays, fully-active/multi-link design with 90mm rear travel, Rock Shox Ario R air shock with rebound damping, replaceable derailleur hanger
    Fork
    Rock Shox Recon Silver TK coil, magnesium lowers, 32mm stanchions, TurnKey lockout, external rebound damping adjustor, 100mm travel
    Headset
    FSA ZS-4D Zero-Stack internal cup, threadless, 25mm shim stack, 1 1/8”
    Wheels
    Mavic XM 119 disc-specific rims, 32H, with Shimano Deore M525 disc hubs, 14g black stainless steel spokes
    Tires
    Geax AKA, 26 x 2.2”, rigid
    Derailleurs
    SRAM X9 rear and X7 34.9mm top pull front
    Shiftlevers
    SRAM X7 10-speed w/matchmaker clamps
    Chain
    SRAM PC-1031, 10 speed
    Cassette
    SRAM PG-1050, 10-speed, 11-36
    Crankset
    SRAM S1000, 44/33/22, 170mm (13/15”), 175mm (17-23”)
    BB Set
    SRAM GXP integrated
    Pedals
    Flats, steel outer cage
    Brakeset
    Avid Elixir 3 hydraulic disc brakes with 160mm HS1 rotors
    Handlebar
    Jamis XC alloy riser, 31.8 x 8Ί x 13mm rise x 620mm
    Stem
    Jamis XC alloy threadless, 7Ί rise x 90mm (13/15”), 100mm (17”), 110mm (19”), and 120mm (21/23”)
    Grips
    Velo kraton gel
    Seat Post
    Jamis OS alloy micro-adjust, 31.6 x 350mm, with alloy QR clamp
    Saddle
    Jamis Trail with pressure relief channel and wide tail platform
    2013 New Jamis Dakar XCR 29 Sport
    Price: $1,399
    Good cheap FS AM bikes?-p4pb10568736.jpg
    Code:
    SPECIFICATIONS
    Frame
    Kinesium triple-butted alloy main triangle, 12 x 142 rear thru-axle dropouts, 100mm travel mp4 linkage design, 1.5 - 1 1/8" tapered head tube, asymmetrical chainstays, cartridge bearing pivots, Rock Shox Monarch R shock with rebound adjust and 10mm hardware, replaceable derailleur hanger, Maxle rear axle
    Fork
    Rock Shox XC32 TK 29 Solo Air, lever actuated lockout, air spring pressure adjust, rebound adjust, alloy steerer, 100mm travel
    Headset
    FSA Orbit 1.5 Zero-Stack internal cup, for tapered head tube, 30mm shim stack
    Wheels
    Mavic TN119 disc rims, 32H, Formula sealed bearing hubs, stainless steel spokes
    Tires
    Geax Saguaro, 29 x 2.2", folding
    Derailleurs
    Shimano Deore rear and Alivio 34.9mm dual pull front
    Shiftlevers
    Shimano Alivio, 9-speed
    Chain
    SRAM 951
    Cassette
    Shimano HG30, 11-34, 9-speed
    Crankset
    Shimano M430 Octalink, 44/32/22, 170mm (15"), 175mm (17-21")
    BB Set
    Shimano Octalink
    Pedals
    N/A
    Brakeset
    Tektro Draco 2 hydraulic disc brakes with 180mm front & 160mm rear RT56 rotors
    Handlebar
    Ritchey Mountain Rizer, 670mm x 20mm rise x 31.8mm
    Stem
    Ritchey 4-Bolt, 6° x 90mm (15"), 100mm (17), 110mm(19"),120mm (21")
    Grips
    Jamis Lock-On, dual density
    Seat Post
    Ritchey 2B OS, 31.6 x 400mm, with alloy clamp & cromo seatpin
    Saddle
    WTB Volt Sport
    2012 New Jamis Dakar XCT Race
    Price: $1,799
    Good cheap FS AM bikes?-p4pb10566954.jpg
    Code:
    SPECIFICATIONS OF 2012 JAMIS DAKAR XCT RACE
    Frame
    Kinesium alloy, 130mm travel mp4 linkage design, 1.5 - 1 1/8” tapered head tube, asymmetrical chainstays, cartridge bearing pivots, Fox RP2 XV with Boost Valve shock with 10mm hardware, replaceable derailleur hanger, Maxle Lite rear axle
    Fork
    Fox 32 FRL w/ F.I.T. damper, external rebound damping, lever actuated lockout, 32mm stanchions, 15mm thru-axle, tapered alloy steerer, 140mm travel
    Headset
    FSA Orbit 1.5 Zero-Stack internal cup, for tapered head tube, 30mm shim stack
    Wheels
    Sun/Ringle Ryde Comp wheeleset with Demon II sealed cartridge 15mm thru axle front and 12 x 135mm thru axle rear disc hubs, Inferno 27mm 32H rims, stainless butted spokes
    Tires
    Geax Gato 2.3” front and AKA 2.2” rear, folding
    Derailleurs
    SRAM X9 mid cage rear and X7 34.9mm dual pull front
    Shiftlevers
    SRAM X9 with Matchmaker clamp, 10-speed
    Chain
    SRAM PC-1051, 10 speed
    Cassette
    SRAM PG-1050, 10-speed, 12-36
    Crankset
    SRAM S1000 GXP, 39/26, 170mm (15”), 175mm (17-21”)
    BB Set
    SRAM GXP integrated
    Pedals
    N/A
    Brakeset
    Avid Elixir 3 hydraulic disc brakes with 180mm front & 160mm rear HS1 rotors
    Handlebar
    Ritchey Comp Rizer, 670mm x 20mm rise x 31.8mm
    Stem
    Ritchey Comp 4-Axis, 6Ί x 90mm (15”), 100mm (17), 110mm(19”),120mm (21”)
    Grips
    Jamis Lock-On, dual density
    Seat Post
    Ritchey Comp 2B OS, 31.6 x 400mm, with alloy clamp & cromo seatpin
    Saddle
    WTB Volt Race, cromoly rails

mtbr member
    Sweet! Jamis was the OG for 650b.... looks like a good deal
    “NICE ASS!”

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    buy used, $1000 can get you a decent deal used if the market is right, where are you from?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_from_PA View Post
    buy used, $1000 can get you a decent deal used if the market is right, where are you from?
    From Toronto, CA

mtbr member

Re: Good cheap FS AM bikes?

If you keep shopping around you may he able to find a good deal on something new from 2012-2013. Ask you local shops, they may have connects with there suppliers for some new old stock bikes that are not on their floor.

I just found a new 2012 Scott genius Lt through my local shop that they were willing to part with for around 1850, originally was priced over 3k.

When I was shopping around, I also noticed some good deals from chain reaction on there Vitus line. Don't know much about them, but seems like u can get something decent under 2k.

Nothing wrong with going used or a finding a nice hardtail either, good luck!

Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    It's most definitely possible to get a very good fs bike in your budget. It won't be easy, but it's not impossible at all. Two seasons ago, I sold a 2010 Giant Reign 1 with FAR better components than the bikes you posted. It would kick those Jamis bikes straight in the nuts. X9 drivetrain, upgraded everything, dropper seatpost, etc, and I eventually let it go for $1000. Keep looking around, and you'll be able to find a used fs bike that fits your budget. I'd definitely look for something like a Giant Trance or Reign. Fantastic bikes, worth far more than their price tags. Just keep checking your local classified ads like Craigslist and the local newspaper.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    how tall are you? I have a killer bike for sale for $900. pm me if interested

reign as mentioned above would damn near be my first choice for a budget bike around 6".

specialized enduro from 2005ish

heckler/bullit

search on pinkbike within your budget. no offense to mtbr but pinkbikes classifieds are pretty much the biggest on the internet.

also a good steel AM hardtail would be a better bet for a beginner rider imho. learn better technique from riding a hardtail.

mtbr member
    depending on the amount of travel you end up wanting, id look at:
    fluid
    low end alloy sight
    heckler

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I think you can get a pretty good deal if you shop around on 26" FS bikes right now because mfgs and dealers are moving inventory to the 650b. May also find a few deals on 29ers if that is to your liking. Forget 650b...no deals...

A dealer has been blowing out a number of Marin ( FS and hardtail) models from 2013 on eBay for the last six months. Some good deals to be had there, particularly for someone like me who has had Marins in the past and been happy.
    Last edited by Semitone; 05-01-2014 at 05:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Below is just an example of what you might find on ebay. I wouldn't pursue this one but it gives you an idea and you can search for others

Specialized Enduro s Works 2009 Carbon Large | eBay

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    thanks everyone. Appreciate it!