Giant Reign 2010 Seat Tube Seat Post- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Giant Reign 2010 Seat Tube Seat Post

The seat post on my 2010 Giant Reign 2 doesn't lower as far as I would expect. Looking inside the seat tube, there is a very small, partial ring of metal that appears to stop the seat post from lowering all the way. See photo.

Since the protrusion inside the seat tube is so small, I can't tell if it's there on purpose, or if it's sloppy manufacturing

I'd like to know if I can file off the metal protrusion so I can drop my seat post further.

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant Reign 2010 Seat Tube Seat Post-seattube.jpg  

mtbr member
    Why not just cut the seatpost?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Because I already cut off as much as I can. I'm 6' 3" and I need the height on the post when going uphill.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Already discussed here:http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=622467

Very big limitation on the Reigns.
    Do as i did: Buy an adjustable seatpost :-)

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Although it's a valid work around, I'm not sure an adjustable seat post is an answer to my original question.

mtbr member
    Get a 400mm 27.2 seatpost and use it with a 27.2-30.9 shim. Should work just fine and weight about the same.

mtbr member
    I own a Reign 2 2011 & have the same issue i cut 2 inches off the seat post but now i am wondering what is the minimum amount of seat post that needs to be in frame to not cause frame damage i have heard 3 to 4 inches anyone have a idea??
    Life's too short to be soft

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jb2011
    I own a Reign 2 2011 & have the same issue i cut 2 inches off the seat post but now i am wondering what is the minimum amount of seat post that needs to be in frame to not cause frame damage i have heard 3 to 4 inches anyone have a idea??
    The manual (2010) says 10cm min.insertion (~4inches), but on my Reign size S, there was a sticker near the seat tube collar saying min.insertion=8cm.

Members who have read this thread: 1