Geometry question.- Mtbr.com
    i wear armor cus I suk

Geometry question.

Two bikes. Will they be similar based on this geometry?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Geometry question.-6deb592f-553f-445a-a250-9bf2314d504f.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Maybe------geo does take into consideration the dynamics of the rear suspension which can make a large difference-----and you do not state if the shock/fork are the same----could also generate a sizable diff. Note one bike (suspect large TB4) has a pretty short ETT--could be a bit cramped

mtbr member
    ish. the major differentiation between the two is the seat tube length. That's what is causing the delta in ETT.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by minimusprime View Post
    ish. the major differentiation between the two is the seat tube length. That's what is causing the delta in ETT.
    Seat tube length has no effect on ETT. HTA of a degree difference will cause the biggest difference on these bikes from the data given IMO.
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    Colnago C60 Disc

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dahowe View Post
    Two bikes. Will they be similar based on this geometry?
    yes.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    +1. Based on geo, they will be very similar. As mentioned, there are variables other than geo that can make them different.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    yes.
    What if one is a hardtail and the other FS...

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    What if one is a hardtail and the other FS...

What if one is a motorcycle and the other is a spaceship? Let's assume OP isn't an idiot.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

i wear armor cus I suk
    Appreciated. Lol.

Ride More - Suffer Less
    I think similar. The 65.9 hta, shorter wheelbase, lower BB will be snappier.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    They are similar. By the way, I rode today with a bunch of guys who could tell every number on their bikes, and asked me what numbers in mine; of which I had absolutely no idea. On the trail I smoked them all, on a bike I was riding the first time.

So don't worry about these numbers. If these are two existing bikes, ride the two, look at them two, seek for the better price of them. You probably can't go wrong.

i wear armor cus I suk
    I could not agree more. Call me surprised when I compared them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Geometry question.-b79f9945-77c7-4b4f-97c9-ce6a5d3b79f3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    Let's assume OP isn't an idiot.
    This is the internet, I'm not sure that's a fair assumption to automatically make. (no offence OP )

But now that you've lifted the curtain and unveiled these two mystery bikes we no longer need to assume that all other factors are equal and maybe people can give you a better idea of how similar these two bikes are.

I haven't ridden either, but obviously they're going to be "pretty similar" compared to another bike that is more differenter, but you've probably worked that out yourself I imagine (presuming Scottzg's assumption was correct); they're both modern mid-long travel carbon 29ers that fit well in the "do all" grey area between trail bike and enduro race bike. The Ibis has a touch more travel but I think you'd find the biggest difference between them wouldn't be the geometry but the kinematics of the rear suspension. The Ibis DW link should be a little firmer under pedalling and will sit higher in its travel, and the Hightowers VPP a bit more plush and active under power which could be an advantage on technical climbs where traction becomes an issue, or may be seen as inefficiency on smoother gravel/road climbs.

Not a role model
    Santa Cruz and Ibis setting the new mainstream geo standards. Love the short seat tubes in size L, allowing my 30" inseam self to size up.

Too bad about their prices.

The MegaTower's extra standover clearance would be like icing one the cake for me, comparing based on the geo chart. I've learned to appreciate how much of a role that plays in reducing penalty for failure, when taking risks like riding elevated skinnies (low speed stuff where you gotta dismount).

i wear armor cus I suk
    The two geometries are really quite close with the exception of maybe the wheelbase; same fork with a slightly different shock. Yet one is often reviewed as a capable “playfull” LT trail bike the other is often reviewed as a “big bike” and a “big hit” enduro that has to be pushed. VP vs DW I guess. Quite remarkable.

mtbr member
    Perspective. Marketing. Opinions. One mans stable and plush is anothers sluggish and boring, nimble and playful can just as easily be viewed as twitchy and scary.

mtbr member
    The Ripmo feels more like the Hightower LT than the Megatower. The degree slacker head angle is significant, maybe not for XC trails but definitely for steep DH. There's also the difference in rear travel 145 vs 160mm. The MT will sag deeper in rear slacking the head angle out even more. Then there's the two flip chips on the MT. The shock position can be lowered making the HTA even slacker and the BB even lower. The chainstay can be lengthened another 10mm which also gives it more stability and DH oriented geo. The shock is also mounted very low giving extra stability (lower Cg). And that's just the geo.

i wear armor cus I suk
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    The Ripmo feels more like the Hightower LT than the Megatower. The degree slacker head angle is significant, maybe not for XC trails but definitely for steep DH. There's also the difference in rear travel 145 vs 160mm. The MT will sag deeper in rear slacking the head angle out even more. Then there's the two flip chips on the MT. The shock position can be lowered making the HTA even slacker and the BB even lower. The chainstay can be lengthened another 10mm which also gives it more stability and DH oriented geo. The shock is also mounted very low giving extra stability (lower Cg). And that's just the geo.
    You are right. Thx

i wear armor cus I suk
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    Perspective. Marketing. Opinions. One mans stable and plush is anothers sluggish and boring, nimble and playful can just as easily be viewed as twitchy and scary.
    “Often”

Not a role model
    The nuances of geo is one thing, but the nuances chassis rigidity and suspension kinematics play a big role in how the bike handles and interacts with the rider.

Testing two different bikes with similar geo highlights all the other things people don't think about, since they're not listed on a spec sheet in a simple understandable manner.