Full suspension fat bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Full suspension fat bike?

I've been kicking around going full suspension. A buddy of mine talked to a guy at a race this weekend. The guy had a Farley ex. He said he used to race motocross ( as did I) and said this bike kinda rode like a dirt bike, or at least reminded him of one.
    I was looking on the trek site, I think they just sell frames and you have to build them up. Possibly maybe even discontinued them. Idk

Anyhow is there any other fat full suspension bikes on the market? I'd definitely like to try one.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Lenz Fatillac
    Foes Mutz
    Trek Farley EX
    Salsa Bucksaw

Iíve ridden the first two extensively, Lenz is the finest of the bunch, Foes is burly but long CS, Trek is milk toast, Salsa is short travel and fragile
    Guerilla Gravity Shred Dogg
    Fezzari Signal Peak (For Sale)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Lol. What exactly do you mean " milk toast"? The trek would probably be the most accessible for me. I think there may be a salsa dealer within an hour or so. The lens and foes I've never heard of before.

mtbr member
    Salsa Carbon Bucksaw- Trek Farley 8

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by ewadz3006 View Post
    I've been kicking around going full suspension. A buddy of mine talked to a guy at a race this weekend. The guy had a Farley ex. He said he used to race motocross ( as did I) and said this bike kinda rode like a dirt bike, or at least reminded him of one.
    I was looking on the trek site, I think they just sell frames and you have to build them up. Possibly maybe even discontinued them. Idk

Anyhow is there any other fat full suspension bikes on the market? I'd definitely like to try one.

There are some similarities to an mx bike. FS fat bikes feel much more stable in pretty much every situation relative to a modern mountain bike with ~2.5" tires.

I've owned the Lenz and the Trek. I've ridden the Turner and the Salsa. I haven't ridden the Foes.

I mostly agree with Ben's summation. I liked the carbon frame on the Trek -- it gave a very muted trail feel which I like. But I didn't care for the super wide rear end on the Trek -- it was very noticeable on technical trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Salsa discontinued the bucksaw. Available used. Not sure why it is considered fragile, mine is a truck even in pretty heavy tech.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by single_track View Post
    Not sure why it is considered fragile
    Because lots of people have broken the chainstays?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Sucks
    Bucksaw looked to have a sweet geo.
    You could also tweak the HTA with a works angle headset to suit your local trails/riding style.
    Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have a hardtail FB that started out as more of an XC machine. Now it's more of an AM setup with a Mastodon fork, dropper post, chunky tires and big brakes. Just looking at it you wouldn't think it could handle what it does, but I've had it out in Pisgah on black diamond trails where I usually ride a FS and it does just fine.

The fat rear tire makes it feel like you have a bit of suspension in the rear. Just enough to take the edge off trail chatter and small bumps, but still climbs well since there is no pedal bob. I'm running Reynolds Dean carbon wheels, so the weight and strength is there for what I'm doing.

Not all fat bikes are created equal!

mtbr member
    I know a number of riders who own Farley EXs, two who particularly are aggressive riders who jump and otherwise beat the crap out of those bikes in the winter. I've seen their bent and trashed rims. They love em.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    I'm going to try and demo a couple fs bikes. A guy somewhat local has pivot and kona bikes. A buddy rode both, didn't really like the Kona but loved the pivot a local shop has a leftover fuel 8. I can ride that but not really on any terrain. Just around the city pretty much.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Haibike makes a full suspension fat bike.
    I have the hard tail version and it's really good.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk