Full Face helmet- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Full Face helmet

I know this is asked a lot, but I just want to make sure, because those helmets are pretty expensive and I don't want to waste my money to something that I don't need. So, I am bout to buy my first full face helmet.

I was planning to use it for bike park gravity enduro trails and some easier DH trails. I have only crashed twice on my mountain biking career, but now I want to learn some new tricks and jumps what I haven't done before.

The helmet what I was looking at was TLD D2. Is it good ? or should I just stick with my XC lid ?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Depending on the trail difficulty and your own ability, you can get something more like a skate style helmet that covers the back and sides of your head more, without spending $100+ on a full face.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    If you think you're going to crash get a full face helmet. They are priceless when your face is hitting the ground.
    The 661 Comp helmet is fairly cheap, comfortable, and lightweight. It probably won't protect you quite as well as a TLD, but it will be much better than an XC lid.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by lanceuppercut View Post
    If you think you're going to crash get a full face helmet. They are priceless when your face is hitting the ground.
    Couldn't agree more. Get the best helmet you can afford OP, it's worth it.
    Last edited by Max24; 03-07-2015 at 09:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Well I think ill go for the TLD D2, because I can try it on at my local MTB store. Thanks all for the suggestions. Rather pay for the helmet than the surgery when my chin cracks if I happen to fall face first.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Full Face helmet

The D2 is a solid time proven helmet.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I've been using a TLD D2 for 2 years, although for a different sport. It is very well built, offering a very high level of protection for head and face. Sure, you can get a high end state of the art helmet like the 6D for $600-$795, but for me the D2 offers great protection at a reasonable price.
    2014 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp

mtbr member
    The D2. is a good helmet. If you are planning to start riding downhill more often then a full face is the way to go. Falling face first into rocks is not fun. If you can, get a full face and a skate board type helmet and use your full face when your going to be riding knarly stuff, and wear your half helmet for more mellow rides.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    If you've only crashed twice in your "career" I'm guessing you're pretty new to the sport. If you've got the cash, the TLD is well regarded. If not, I'd echo what someone else said about a 661 Comp or some of the other lower end full face helmets. There was a Bell full face on chainlove yesterday for $39.

I always wear a full face for lift served stuff, but usually not for AM/Enduro/normal mountain biking unless I'm trying something new and/or especially sketch or at night on bigger downhills. A regular XC lid will protect your skull decently well in most crashes, just not your face. I've crashed way too many times to count in both style helmets. The full face definitely inspires a little extra confidence trying bigger jumps, new tricks etc., but don't let your lack of one hold you back from riding a ton, crashing a ton, and progressing in general.