Front Wheel durability vs. Fork and Frame durability....need help with build- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Front Wheel durability vs. Fork and Frame durability....need help with build

I am currently using one of the older 130mm Rockshox Revelation forks, with quick-release dropouts. To stiffen things up, I put a 9mm x 100mm thru-axle on. I weigh 140#, so I assume this is sufficient without needing a costly upgrade.

The frame is a 2005 Jamis Dakar XLT (also 130mm travel).

My question is what rims would be a good match strength-wise to my frame and fork? While I'm lightweight, I still want the rims to handle whatever amount of abuse the fork can take. I want to do silly things like ride off 6 foot urban drops and run over rocks like a hack, the squish is satisfying. My 130mm Q/R Revelation can handle that, right?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I'm using Mavic 819 tubeless on my El Guapo,I ride aggressively jumps,drops,doubles,rock gardens,no trouble 2nd season on them,and I weigh 185 lbs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle2834 View Post
    My 130mm Q/R Revelation can handle that, right?
    For some period of time, sure. Probably a shorter period of time if you're doing 6' to flat.

There are a lot of strong, cheap wheels out there. I've had good luck with the WTB bottom of the line AM rims. The problem comes when you want something light and strong.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Also much depends how you ride on your wheels or type of rider.do you finesse and ride light or pound and ride heavy.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Urban drops? Get something in the class of Sun Ringle welded MTX 29 rims and straight gauge spokes... Like Nukeproof's Generator wheelset, or Transition's Revolution 32.. Better yet ride what you have until it dies, then get something heavier. Solid tires help. I have on Deore/Formula 20mm/Singletrack cheapo wheelset with "urban" tires. But really, your setup does not sound conductive to urban drops.