mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Front tire recommendations

I知 new to the forum here, and I知 having trouble picking a new front tire for my bike. I have a giant fathom, 120mm travel hardtail that I use to ride local trails and I travel to brown county Indiana and ride some of their more rocky chunky trails. I知 mostly worried about traction on my trails in the summer because they池e hard packed dirt and they get a thick layer of dust on them. I had an ardent 2.25 exo tr on the front and it washed out quite often. I知 trying to decide between the Maxxis Aggressor 2.3 or the Maxxis Forekaster 2.35, if you guys have had any experience with these on dry dusty trails I壇 appreciate your input!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Got your suspension and psi dialed in? Bigger tire? Big fan of the maxxis. I like the DFH for the front. I have more rocks and loam rather than dust though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Yeah I have my sag set correctly and slowing my rebound a bit helped. It痴 a pretty basic fork but I have it set up as best as I can.

mtbr member
    On a 120mm bike, up front... I'd recommend a 2.35 Nobby Nic in Tsc (or current equivalent).

Maybe even a 2.35 Ardent Race ^^

'We'll all make it to the top... Some of us, might not make it to the bottom'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The gold standard for front wheel grip is a Minion DHF.

If you are looking for something similar but a bit lighter but also a bit less grip go with a 2.35 Forecaster. Both are huge improvements over a 2.25 Ardent.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Yeah I知 leaning toward the Forekaster considering a lot of trails I ride are considered XC so it would have a little less rolling resistance than the DHF. Good to know it痴 better than the ardent, I was not a fan of its lack of intermediate knobs, felt really unpredictable. Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    It could be the tire, but it could also be that you're leaning back during turns and taking too much weight off the front. Make sure you stay centered over the bottom bracket with your weight on the pedals and are loading the outside foot in corners. I don't think of Brown County as especially demanding on tires. I haven't ridden some of the newest stuff, but I would think the Ardent would be OK on Walnut, Bobcat, Schooner, etc.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Try to find a Bontrager SE5 2.3 and smack it on (59mm on 29ID rim) Find it to grip more, roll easier and way better sidewall stability than the DHR2/HR2 3C EXO.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    It could be the tire, but it could also be that you're leaning back during turns and taking too much weight off the front. Make sure you stay centered over the bottom bracket with your weight on the pedals and are loading the outside foot in corners. I don't think of Brown County as especially demanding on tires.
    Mbtharp if you're still here IT is in what s0ckeye said^ PSI is huge too. I run 20psi in the front. Lose the tube if you haven't yet, otherwise you can't go that low.
    True a bigger knobed tire could offer more traction, but usualy not too much on hardpack trails. I just bought a Ardent for the front (my 3rd) precisely because they are so predictable in loose over hardpack. Not mud, not wet roots, and deff not in soft loam, but great on 75% of what I ride.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

Upcyclist
    This is a good one: https://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYOOCM2...key-29x24-tyre

Ardent casing made by Maxxis and super cheap! Just gotta wait a bit for it to make it's way across the pond.
    By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to accept my use of cookies.

mtbr member
    Hans Dampf sounds perfect for you. Slightly more aggressive version would be the Magic Mary. Both do very well in soft over hard pack. That痴 exactly what we have here in so cal most of the year.

No good in rock gardens..
    Either the Forekaster 2.35 or Aggressor 2.3 will work in the stated conditions. Forekaster is more rounded especially on narrower rims under 30mm. Aggressor is squarer in profile due to less transition knobs.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Find out what tires the local brah's run, and run those. Every area will be different.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Thanks for all of the replies guys. I知 far from a perfect rider but I do tend to have my weight balanced on the pedals when cornering. I知 running tubeless, and I weigh 200 with gear. I usually run 23psi front, 25 rear. My rims are 23mm inner diameter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbtharp1 View Post
    Thanks for all of the replies guys. I知 far from a perfect rider but I do tend to have my weight balanced on the pedals when cornering. I知 running tubeless, and I weigh 200 with gear. I usually run 23psi front, 25 rear. My rims are 23mm inner diameter.
    I'm in Michigan and have been a big fan of the continental x-King and trail King in 2.2/2.4. Good combo of grip and low rolling resistance for more XC stuff

mtbr member
    While it could be technique or even setup related, a DHF is considered the ultimate in cornering traction. If you fit one and still have problems, you'll know it's not the tyre's fault.

On setup, is there any chance that the front wheel is not weighed during turns? Do you have a lot of spacers under the stem/high rise bars/an upwards angled stem?

Try lowering the stem by one spacer and see what happens. Often, front wheel traction problems occur because there is not enough weight on the handlebars. It could be that you are riding defensively (can easily happen, but it's hard to diagnose unless you see yourself on video) or the cockpit setup.

The are many people that can't stand the Ardent as a front. Others love it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by justwan naride View Post
    On setup, is there any chance that the front wheel is not weighed during turns? Do you have a lot of spacers under the stem/high rise bars/an upwards angled stem?

Try lowering the stem by one spacer and see what happens. Often, front wheel traction problems occur because there is not enough weight on the handlebars. It could be that you are riding defensively (can easily happen, but it's hard to diagnose unless you see yourself on video) or the cockpit setup.
    You don't really need any weight on the handlebars. Ideally, all the weight should be in your feet. Doing this distributes the weight fairly evenly between the front and rear tires. Any pressing down on the bars will result in less downward force being applied in the feet. Try standing next to a table and pushing down while keeping the same amount of weight on your feet. It's not happening.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    You don't really need any weight on the handlebars. .
    Think of it more as chin over the bars. If you do not have a slack, long & low bike then no worries.
    As for tires I always run DoubleDown or SuperGrav. 22-25 Front & 30 rear which prevents burping & rim strikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Shit sorry to revive an old thread. Sorry folks I was searching for something more agress than a shorty & DHF combo.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    More aggressive? Assegai, or Magic Mary?

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    The gold standard for front wheel grip is a Minion DHF.
    Yes, but the platinum standard is the Duro Crux. Less rolling resistance and better grip. The Miner is another great tire too.