Front suspension for larger people- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2019

Front suspension for larger people

Hi, just bought a mountain bike, 2008 Norco Bigfoot, and I have noticed an excessive amount of travel and softness in the front end. What kind of front suspension should I be looking at, as Iím 6í3Ē and about 260lbs? I would like something that doesnít feel like it canít carry me.

Hydraulic brakes on bikes and directional tires did not exist during my previous bicycling days, so be kind with the lingo as I need basic advise and brand/model suggestions.

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by ducimus031 View Post
    Hi, just bought a mountain bike, 2008 Norco Bigfoot, and I have noticed an excessive amount of travel and softness in the front end. What kind of front suspension should I be looking at, as Iím 6í3Ē and about 260lbs? I would like something that doesnít feel like it canít carry me.

Hydraulic brakes on bikes and directional tires did not exist during my previous bicycling days, so be kind with the lingo as I need basic advise and brand/model suggestions.

Thanks,
    The fork is a marzocchi dj3 if the owner didn't change it. It is a coil spring so For heavier weights you need a different set spring than the standard as in coil forks there is a weight range for each type of springs. I don't know a lot about marzocchis, but I am pretty sure It is rare to find replacement springs for a heavier weight category as It ceased production a few years ago.

You can replace the fork with an air fork, which you can just pump a higher psi of air for a heavier weight and lower psi for lighter weight because It uses the the compression of air not springs for suspension.

I don't know what types of riding you do so can't really advice which forks. Just buy any brands from fox, Marzocchi, Rockshox, Suntour (avoid if doing really rought stuff), DVO, MRP, Ohlins.......... the list goes on:P

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Sell it and start over with something used off PinkBike with an air fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    2008 ---get a new fork---but note you will always be beyond the sweet designed spot with your weight

change is good
    Sep 2004

Thanks,
    Are you going to be riding on trails? If so, a used AM hardtail with a Fox 36 or Lyric.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Sell it and start over with something used off PinkBike with an air fork.
    Yep. Too old to maintain or tweak, and with a stupid-short reach it's gonna need a lot of tweaking to (fail to) hide the awful geo.

look for something with a >460mm reach. There's no down side.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    Yep. Too old to maintain or tweak, and with a stupid-short reach it's gonna need a lot of tweaking to (fail to) hide the awful geo.

look for something with a >460mm reach. There's no down side.
    ^ that. the norco is a freeride hardtail so it aint ever gonna be comfortable pedalling around.

mtbr member

Thanks,
    You're getting a lot of recommendations to replace the bike with something newer. Not bad advice, but since you apparently just bought the Norco, maybe you don't want to, or can't, invest in another bike. The challenge you have is the Bigfoots aging standards. There isn't much to choose from for a 26" straight steerer fork. At least not if you're looking for a new fork. Rockshox may still make a straight steerer 26" fork model or two. I bought a Recon from them for a project in 2017. But, it cost more then you probably paid for your bike. I think current straight 26" Recons are around $300. You might consider looking for a used fork. Make sure the stantions aren't scratched, then get a rebuild kit for it, or have it serviced at an LBS.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.