mtbr member
    Jan 2019

Front suspension forks replacement - Gary Fisher?

Hi Everyone. First post here. I was recently given a Gary Fisher Genesis 2.0 by a friend who no longer rides it. This set up is totally new to me. It is in excellent condition except for the front suspension forks, which need to be replaced. My local shop said they are no longer made so he cannot order them, and I will have to hunt for something compatible. I would appreciate any advice as to where to find a replacement. I've been looking online and am totally confused about which to order. to meet the recommendations he gave me (see below). Thank you very much in advance.
    This is what the labels on the tubes say:
    Rock Shox, Recon Race G2, Genesis 2.0 by Bontrager.
    I have 26" wheels, disc brakes
    This is what the shop said I should hunt for:
    1 1/8" stratight steerer tube
    250 mm or more (mine is 230 mm)
    120 mm of travel
    9mm quick release
    air or coil (he said air is better?)
    rebound damping control
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Front suspension forks replacement - Gary Fisher?-0105192042_hdr.jpg  

Front suspension forks replacement - Gary Fisher?-0105192041_hdr.jpg  

mtbr member
    Plenty of them on ebay,,heres a fine example
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-X-Fusio...S!-1:rk:7:pf:0

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by White7 View Post
    Plenty of them on ebay,,heres a fine example
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-X-Fusio...S!-1:rk:7:pf:0
    Thanks for the info, I looked at this one, though this one appears to be for a 27.5 wheel and mine is 26.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MBiker FLA View Post
    though this one appears to be for a 27.5 wheel and mine is 26.
    You're right,,except for the part where it says its for a 26" wheel 4 times in the description

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    What is going on with the front fork that makes you (or the shop) think that it needs to be replaced? Those are still rebuildable and would save you some money over buying a new fork.
    The fork linked absolutely would work on your bike, and it is a pretty good price. I have no experience with those specific ones, but if you are a casual rider that is testing the waters, it would work fine.
    You also CAN use a 27.5" fork without issue. It is only a little bit taller than what you currently have.
    Also look at the Manitou Markhor line of forks. Those are decent options as well.
    Deflated - buy parts to sell parts to buy more parts.. bikes are my drug of choice

FATTrailer for the kiddo

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I must be getting tired today - sure thought when I clicked on the link I saw 27.5, and am glad to know that would work anyway if need be. Thank you

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Thanks for the reply. They are both all the way bottomed out. I can pull them up and they'll stay up, but there is no resistance. I'll look at the Manitou Markhor's also. Glad to know I could use the 27.5. The shop said that finding a 26" replacement equal or close to what I have on it would be difficult.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Yikes! I'm sorry, could have sworn I read 27.5. Thanks for straightening me out!

mtbr member
    I still have a 2003 Gary Fisher Sugar 3+ in my stable, on which I replaced the fork with a RockShox Recon Silver. They still make them for 1 1/8" straight tubes and 26". Not a bad Solo Air fork, actually. But it looks like the 2019 version is only 100mm. The version I bought new last year from Jenson USA is 130mm.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    That doesn't look old enough to give up on. Service kits cost ten to twenty bucks and are basically a bag of o-rings. Did the shop even try putting air in the fork or did they just refuse to work on it?

mtbr member
    The LBS here would work on it but it would wind up costing more than the new XFusion linked above after parts and labor of it needed anything more than a lowers PM.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
    I still have a 2003 Gary Fisher Sugar 3+ in my stable, on which I replaced the fork with a RockShox Recon Silver. They still make them for 1 1/8" straight tubes and 26". Not a bad Solo Air fork, actually. But it looks like the 2019 version is only 100mm. The version I bought new last year from Jenson USA is 130mm.
    Thanks very much for the recommendation. I will look into those for sure. Hoping these can be rebuilt. By the way, your quote about riding and age hits home here, that's why I am back into it again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    That doesn't look old enough to give up on. Service kits cost ten to twenty bucks and are basically a bag of o-rings. Did the shop even try putting air in the fork or did they just refuse to work on it?
    Thanks for the reply and advice. The shop did not put air in the fork or even suggest it. They told me the parts were no longer made for that fork so it would have to be replaced. They wrote down the specifications I needed to shop for, saying they could not order the same one because it is not made any longer. They said it would be difficult to find a replacement that had the same specifications but an estimate plus labor was about $500-$600. I put air in it and it has stayed up for three days now, sitting in my house. I have not yet tried to find a service kit but will be looking at that for sure, way before I just replace them on the shop's advice. When it was given to me, the owner said she had not been on it in a few years.

Thank you

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Would someone please tell me how to find out what model and year this bike is? There is nothing on it but Gary Fischer Genesis 2.0.

Many thanks!

mtbr member
    Would someone please tell me how to find out what model and year this bike is? There is nothing on it but Gary Fischer Genesis 2.0.

Many thanks!
    My guess would be circa 2008/2009 based on the fork (assuming it's original). At least start there. I don't think it would be newer since Trek killed off the Gary Fisher branding around 2010, I think.

Call Trek. Believe it or not, they still support older Fishers. When I replaced the pivot bushings on my 2003 Sugar+ last year, Trek still had them in stock and even got them to me in a couple of days. I was also able to get the (long lost) tech manuals from them. I'm guessing they can help you identify your bike.

Like other's have said, I'd check the air in the forks, air 'em up if needed and see what happens. I'd also call SRAM. The forks you have are older Recons. SRAM may even have the manuals for them online. Look on the forks for a stamped (or maybe sticker) model number. If they need to be refreshed, SRAM may have the seal/o-ring kit for them. They usually run around $20.

mtbr member

Many thanks!
    May have found it... I think it's a Supercaliber. Using Bicycle Bluebook as a reference, looks like that frame was available from 2006-2009.

https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/sear....aspx?id=16470

Also, looks like the the fork you have is possibly a 2009. So that may narrow down the year of the bike. Remember, it's not unusual for a new bike to come out with a part (fork) the year prior to being available to the masses. So it's possible your bike is a 2008 with a 2009 fork. All this assumes the fork is original.

RockShox Recon Race 2009 Singapore Reviews | Rigid Forks | Togoparts.com

mtbr member
    That's a good lead. Following it, Caliber and Procaliber had a similar frame... MBiker FLA's is a Caliber. $2420 in 2008-vintage dollars. Seems like a good gift!

https://www.velonews.com/2008/03/bik...-hifi-xc_72984

MBiker, there are places you can send a fork and get it serviced if you can't find anyone to work on it and don't want to try yourself. Or you can ask for advice in the suspension forum. OR you can just get a new fork, new things work. But no new bikes at this level use 26 tires or straight steerers or quick release axles any more so the forks you can find will likely be a bit downmarket