Frame defect?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Frame defect?

mtbr member
    Aug 2019

Frame defect?

We went on vacation for a week and did some riding. No spills or anything that I can think that would cause the holes in the frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Frame defect?-image1.jpg  

Elitest thrill junkie
    How did you transport the bike during vacation?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Looks like it's just the paint, perhaps what it would look like if you focused the sun on it with a magnifying glass. I kinda doubt that's what happened, but that's what it looks like.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    The bikes were transported on a rack and was fine when we got there.

I noticed it after a ride and couldn't figure out what happened. My best guess was stress on the frame from riding.

Someone else has suggested its from the frame being contaminated during the powder coating process, bubbles formed and I guess then popped. Seems to make sense.

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    That doesn't look like powder coating to me. No idea what "stress on the frame" means. It doesn't look like earned scars, so you may want to get out and ride the bike on more difficult trails.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member
    Is this a new bike? The damage is only to the coating, not structural. To me, that looks either intentionally done by someone, or something was rubbing on the frame somehow. The pattern of the two areas is almost identical.

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb.bc View Post
    I noticed it after a ride and couldn't figure out what happened. My best guess was stress on the frame from riding.
    I would place a big 'Negative' on that assumption.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Those are definitely bite marks from the chupacabra. You're lucky to be alive.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    The bikes were transported on a rack and was fine when we got there.

It doesn't look like damage from stress on the frame. There's no evidence of cracking or stretching or anything that would indicate stress. It looks more like impact damage from a mechanical part, as there are multiple sets of holes equally spaced.

Someone else has suggested its from the frame being contaminated during the powder coating process, bubbles formed and I guess then popped. Seems to make sense.
    Could be, I don't have the expertise to say. Is it possible those marks were there before, but you just hadn't noticed them? Either way, probably worth a call to whomever you bought it from.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Good news is, looks like you'll have an easy time peeling that paint. And who doesn't like a raw frame?
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

Shartacular Spectacular
    Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    Those are definitely bite marks from the chupacabra. You're lucky to be alive.
    Agreed, the dentation is consistent with the dentition of an adolescent chupacabra. I know these things, I've been to a dentist.
    18í SC Bronson Carbon
    Grip2, Reserve 27's, i9's, Float X2

18' SC V10.6
    Grip2, We Are One: The Outlier, i9's, Avy Woodie

mtbr member
    A few wraps of black electrical tape and you'll be good to go!

My GF scratched up her new rims on the 2nd rocky ride for her new bike and was complaining about it. So I grabbed a sharpie marker and "fixed" the scratches.

It's a mountain bike. It's going to get some love marks one way or another. Either accept them as part of the process or cover them with tape or a strategically placed sticker.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Meatbomb
    Where are these located on the frame? Could be rock chips.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Looks like the NDS seat tube. Zoom in. Looks eerily like the paint was melted and bubbled in those spots. Someone above mentioned heat or sunlight focused on those spots and that's exactly what it looks like to me.

I'm not, however, a metallurgist or paint expert. Or sunlight expert. I don't even work at Home Depot.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    If it really bothers you take it back to the LBS and have them open a warranty claim with Kona.

mtbr member
    You mentioned multiple bikes on the bike rack. Did the other bike have platform pedals with pins? Those holes, spaced the way they are, look like the pedal rash scars on my shin from impacts with platforms. I think the other bike bit your bike at some point.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I'd think it has something to do with high temperature+sharp pressure. But I also wouldn't worry much.

mtbr member
    Those are odd marks. Both sets seem equally spaced and the perimeter of each divot looks like the paint melted. Pedal scars (flats with pins) from the other bikes on the rack is my best guess, but that doesn't explain the "melting." Could one of the pedals been near an exhaust pipe. Good news is black covers easy.
    Veni vidi velo!

CEO Product Failure

Good job!

Report it / share it with the manufacturer.

My wife's bike had the clear coat blistering up a few years ago. It was a 2012, the clear coat start bubbling up / blistering up in summer 2016. No biggie. It was a painted, carbon fiber frame. After the clear coat blistered, it would start to flake off.

I called and emailed photos to the manufacturer--I wanted to know if I could use nail polish or another clear coat to protect the frame. The manufacturer warrantied the frame with a new 2016 frame. Which was great....except the new frame was boost. Ah well, an excuse to upgrade wheels.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I am more curious than anything as to what caused the mini crop circles. Iím 99.9% sure sure this isnít something caused by rubbing (paint defect makes sense). We use a North Shore Rack to transport our bikes.

mtbr member
    I am more curious than anything as to what caused the mini crop circles. Iím 99.9% sure sure this isnít something caused by rubbing (paint defect makes sense). We use a North Shore Rack to transport our bikes.
    Interesting. Where exactly on the bike is it as well? Looks like the seat tube, non drive side.

What were the bikes?
    Looks to me like the sun was concentrated on those areas and melted the paint.

Perhaps sunlight focused off of a mirror, rear window, another bicycles reflector (if they have them) or something of the like.

A reflector, if it was on a bike, could easily have concentrated the sun into those areas and cause it to melt.
    The way that rack holds the bikes the front wheels are turned, which very easily then would have been right on that area....