Foot toe goes numb!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Foot toe goes numb!

Hi, as the title says, when i'm riding my foot's big toe goes numb, mostly the left foot! I'm using 5/10 maltese falcon shoes and mallet 2 pedals, but i'm almost sure they went numb when I used shimano shoes and candy pedals.
    Anyone now what could be the cause of this? Thanks beforehand!!!

meow meow
    could be the shoes, could be cleat placement. your lbs could help you more.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    It's a pinched nerve. Are the shoes wide enough for your feet?

mtbr member
    I had the same problem when I rode just over an hour on flats. I didn't have that problem when I went clipless and I also made some minor adjustments to my bike set-up, i.e. seat height and back/forward movement. I think it had more to do with my foot placement when I was riding flats though...

SS Rider
    Chances are your shoes are tied to tight. Everyone is a little different but if you put just the right amount of pressure on the nurve on the top of your foot various toes will go numb. Try tying your shoes differently. for example not as tight around 3/4 of the way toward the top or the part nearest your leg if that makes sense. I have this issue and need to watch the pressure the tounge of the shoe puts on the top of my foot and new shoes always take a little time for me. I noticed the 5.10's I just got do this but after now the third time using them I am getting close to having it right.
    Good luck!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks for your answers, will try this saturday tying my shoes a little less to see if this is it! If not will go on by changing the cleat position! Thanks everyone! Will post again after theese mods!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Sometimes i find if im on my toes for a long time on the elliptical my toes can go numb.. I believe its from constant pressure on my feet without a rest phase, causing mild nerve entrapment. I'm not completely familiar with your shoes, but a shoe with a more sturdy sole vs flexy to better disperse pressure. Another question could be your low back (L4-L5), in a prolonged flexed position increasing sensitivity of a disc, so bike set up and hip flexibility may be helpful ( to allow neutral spine position).

Good luck

mtbr member
    My 5.10's make my feet go numb as well, but I wasn't aware of the nerve on the top of my foot thing, so I will try a different lace up style to see what happens.

Also, title of the thread made me think the o.p has toes on other parts of his body
    Last edited by Kiwiplague; 07-20-2012 at 01:33 AM.

Blue Pig
    Could also be you're pinching a vein.
    Ragley Blue Pig

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiplague View Post
    Also, title of the thread made me think the o.p has toes on other parts of his body
    Haha, yes... My hand's big toe helps me hold the bars better.

But seriously, you might also move your cleats back toward your foot's heel a little bit. This can help too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I used to have this problem, but I bought a few pairs of running/sports socks and they seemed to help.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by aBicycle View Post
    It's a pinched nerve. Are the shoes wide enough for your feet?
    This right here, check the width. I have a pair of size 9.5 Freeriders and while they fit just fine in the store, my toes go numb and my feet hurt when riding. I sized up to a 10.0 and while they seemed loose in the shop they feel great on the trail and my feet no longer go numb.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    It is most likely caused by poor circulation due to either having too much pressure at one point or the shoes being too small/tied too tight.

Does it happen when riding up hill/down hill where you can actually move your feet around to provide different positions, or is it happening primarily while riding down hill with your feet planted in the same position?

It is most likely not a pinched nerve. Nerves get pinched where they run between two hard surfaces like bones or tense muscles that can physically/mechanically damage the nerve or cut off the supply of things that nerves need to keep living (This happens most often to the nerves that come out of your neck vertebrae or your lumbal/sacral vertebrae, or carpal tunnel where the nerve gets squished between bone and tendon). Moreover, the nerves close to the surface are overwhelmingly branches of deeper, larger nerves.

I am a Nomad
    You too, mate? Me as well check the thread I have opened a few days ago here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tp806 View Post
    You too, mate? Me as well check the thread I have opened a few days ago here.
    What you describe, and what the OP describes are quite different symptomatically. Were you able to produce a positive Mulder's sign?

Usually it is best to start trying to address the most common sources of a problem before springing to a more unusual cause. However, your symptomatic is more complex than that of the OP, and would best diagnosed by a professional who can actually go through a few neurological/circulatory tests.

Members who have read this thread: 0