First Real Bike! suggestions.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2019

First Real Bike! suggestions.

Hey guys I'm looking to buy my first real mountain bike. I'm currently between a Kona Honzo, Honzo DL, a Salsa Timberjack Slx 29, NX eagle, and one of the Scott Scales. I'm completely open to all suggestions though, would also consider a 27.5+ bike! Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Can you up your budget just a touch and go for the Honzo ST (30th bday edition) ? The spec is much better and you get a much more compliant steel frame. Looks like a great bike..

Downcountry AF
    First off, there's no "wrong" Honzo. I'd go with the DL and get a dropper, better fork, and nicer drivetrain (?). The anniversary edition has been sold out for a while now.

The salsa is cool too. Not personally a fan of the Scott.

Also not a fan of NX anything. Not necessarily a deal breaker though as the drivetrain on any 1x bike can pretty easily be upgraded down the road.

Bike fit and frame geometry top all else to me. Test ride a few bikes if possible. They are all good bikes, just need to find the one that suits you and your local terrain best.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Ah crap, didn't realize that was sold out. If you buy a Honzo then upgrade drivetrain (I'm not a fan of NX either), fork, add a dropper.. then OP may as well look at something else, unless he's ok with doing that. Some people just wanna get on a bike in their budget without having to throw a bunch of extra cash into it. That's why I recommended the ST. Plus, I'd prefer steel if at all possible. Anyway, good luck OP.. be patient.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Oh and yes I concur with onespeed.. Demo whatever you can and make sure you're comfortable with the fit.

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyfnz View Post
    If you buy a Honzo then upgrade drivetrain (I'm not a fan of NX either), fork, add a dropper.. then OP may as well look at something else,
    You misunderstood. I was comparing the base Honzo vs. the Honzo DL (DL stands for Deluxe) which comes with all those upgrades included. The OP was asking/comparing the two.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Oh my bad. I thought the latest Honzo and DL both had an NX drivetrain and the same dropper, but didn't look closely..

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I am also a fan of Honzo's. Great do everything bike. I wouldn't worry about upgrading any driveline components on that for a while personally- I'd just run the hell out of it til something breaks and worry about it then. But that's just me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I think the base Honzo also comes with a dropper at least the one I looked at a few weeks ago did. It has 1x drivetrain NX as mentioned and RockShox Air fork
    2018 Specialized Pitch Expert

Short-Change-Hero
    If you can swing for the Steel 30th edition I would definitely go for that.. As someone who has had a steel hardtail they ride completely different than any other material. Only way I can describe the ride is "bright", you are connected with the trail but not in a harsh way.

Anyways, looking at the spec, the 30th has a slightly better fork (Revelation vs. Sektor on DL) but other than that everything is very similar.

Downcountry AF
    Yeah, my bad, the dropper on the entry level Honzo is new for 2019. Didn't have that last year.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    No worries, I was thinking I remembered correctly. I was looking at going Honzo or possibly a DB Sync'r. Still undecided. DB doesn't have the dropper but it doesn't have the price either so adding the dropper wouldn't be much. Still undecided.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Go for the Kona..it's just cooler than DB. Seriously though, try and ride both. It's tough making a decision without actually getting a little riding time on them if possible.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyfnz View Post
    Go for the Kona..it's just cooler than DB. Seriously though, try and ride both. It's tough making a decision without actually getting a little riding time on them if possible.
    You are right, it is cooler but the DB im looking at has a Fox 34 and some mods. But if the weather ever breaks here, im going to try a test ride on the Honzo and hopefully sell my Specialized to offset the coast of either one.

Bikesexual
    Kona all the way!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Kona all the way!
    Its definitely winning in the Polls

mtbr member
    Kona gets my vote. I would have bought a Kona Process 153 but the funds weren't there, so I went with Scott, which turned out to be great.

But that Kona had my heart.
    '18 Scott Spark 730, 27.5+
    '10 Scott Scale 29er

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mrclortho View Post
    Kona gets my vote. I would have bought a Kona Process 153 but the funds weren't there, so I went with Scott, which turned out to be great.

But that Kona had my heart.
    OOOOO Process 153. Mid Life Crisis bike for me

mtbr member
    I notice the ride of steel on my old roadie and my tandem but I'm not sure I believe in it when you are talking about 3" wide tires at volleyball pressure and a 5" travel suspension fork.

I have a 2018 Timeberjack NX. I like it a lot. It's easy to get along with. The 2019 builds are all more deluxe.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NigelMTB View Post
    You are right, it is cooler but the DB im looking at has a Fox 34 and some mods. But if the weather ever breaks here, im going to try a test ride on the Honzo and hopefully sell my Specialized to offset the coast of either one.
    A Fox 34 will be a noticeably better fork than the RS Recon level you get on some bikes. Is it 15x110 Boost? What inner width wheels are on the bike? If it's got at least 30mm you can run a 2.6 tire on the front. That'll give you good traction with slower slideouts and fewer crashes. Wide rims/tires at lower pressure means more fun for learning and broader terrain capability. A 15x100 Fox 34 will take 2.8 tires on wide rims.
    A 27.5+ bike Timberjack SLX is available from REI.
    https://www.rei.com/product/140381/s...k-slx-275-bike

Looks like good trails at Middle Run.
    https://www.singletracks.com/bike-tr...ural-area.html

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    A Fox 34 will be a noticeably better fork than the RS Recon level you get on some bikes. Is it 15x110 Boost? What inner width wheels are on the bike? If it's got at least 30mm you can run a 2.6 tire on the front. That'll give you good traction with slower slideouts and fewer crashes. Wide rims/tires at lower pressure means more fun for learning and broader terrain capability. A 15x100 Fox 34 will take 2.8 tires on wide rims.
    A 27.5+ bike Timberjack SLX is available from REI.
    https://www.rei.com/product/140381/s...k-slx-275-bike

Looks like good trails at Middle Run.
    https://www.singletracks.com/bike-tr...ural-area.html
    FOX 34 PErformance is I recall correctly. I Believe they went with 2.6 on the front and rear of it. Maxxis tires. Upgraded brakes and added a dropper post to it. I hate we hijacked the OP thread, maybe they will come back for more help.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    I appreciate all the help guys! Iíve ridden the Salsaís Iím gonna go ride a Kona this week.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NigelMTB View Post
    FOX 34 PErformance is I recall correctly. I Believe they went with 2.6 on the front and rear of it. Maxxis tires. Upgraded brakes and added a dropper post to it. I hate we hijacked the OP thread, maybe they will come back for more help.
    Still would ask what inner width rim goes with those tires.