mtbr member
    Aug 2018

First FS trail bike

I am in the market for my first FS trail bike. I have been looking mainly online at different models to choose from. I donít have any LBS that are within about 2 hours of me. My budget is around 3K. I live in Western North Carolina. I currently ride an Airborne Goblin 29er. 6í3 220lbs and a average rider. I am looking for opinions on which bikes to research more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Stumpjumper comp is nice in that price point.

Or you could go used and get Santa Cruz hightower or sj expert.

Stay with 29er for trail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Canyon and Commencal are both great options.

https://www.commencalusa.com/meta-tr...19-c2x26304803
    First FS trail bike-19metatrrigr_2000.jpg

mtbr member
    Well, Jenson currently has some really good deals in your price range, but honestly, if it were me looking to spend that amount of $$, I'd make the 2 hour drive and try to demo as many bikes as I can to try and figure out what I liked and didn't. Personally I'm on Banshee and know that the KS Link suspension pedals excellent and descends like crazy.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Mountain-B...3000_2000-2500
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Since you mentioned looking online, will you be buying online as well? If so... I'd consider the latest from Whyte and Canyon, both of which are direct to consumer sales.

You mentioned 'trial' bike. Whyte's T-130 and Canyon's Spectral are both great, more than capable, trail bikes that right at home doing a lot more.

I own a T-130, and spent a lot of time trying to decide between it and the Spectral. I absolutely love the T-130. It's a real jack of all trades capable of everything. Just Google the T-130. Plenty out there on it. Great reviews, bike of year awards, etc. Free shipping in the U.S., and no tax if you're outside of California.

Any way, I think Whyte (and Canyon) should be on anyone's short list if buying direct.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
    Since you mentioned looking online, will you be buying online as well? If so... I'd consider the latest from Whyte and Canyon, both of which are direct to consumer sales.

You mentioned 'trial' bike. Whyte's T-130 and Canyon's Spectral are both great, more than capable, trail bikes that right at home doing a lot more.

I own a T-130, and spent a lot of time trying to decide between it and the Spectral. I absolutely love the T-130. It's a real jack of all trades capable of everything. Just Google the T-130. Plenty out there on it. Great reviews, bike of year awards, etc. Free shipping in the U.S., and no tax if you're outside of California.

Any way, I think Whyte (and Canyon) should be on anyone's short list if buying direct.
    Not to hi-jack...but what's going on with Whyte? I've been looking at the T-130 and new T-120 for months...neither the 2018 nor the new 2019 have been in stock...forever.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Thank you for all the input. I am going to take a drive and test out a few bikes. I am 2 hours from DuPont and may rent a bike to take out

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by BrandonWhitney19 View Post
    I am in the market for my first FS trail bike. I have been looking mainly online at different models to choose from. I donít have any LBS that are within about 2 hours of me. My budget is around 3K. I live in Western North Carolina. I currently ride an Airborne Goblin 29er. 6í3 220lbs and a average rider. I am looking for opinions on which bikes to research more.
    You haven't given a great amount of detail about what your looking for. You're basically asking us to name every FS bike under #3k.

What kind of riding do you do? Local terrain? Riding style? Prefer a bike that climbs more efficiently or something that descends better? Roughly how much travel are you interested in? Ideal wheel/tire size? Etc.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    A bit higher that $3k, but if you could squeeze a few more $$$ out:

https://ridegg.com/trailpistol-ride-2

I mention it b/c GG makes bikes for big fellas.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    You haven't given a great amount of detail about what your looking for. You're basically asking us to name every FS bike under #3k.

What kind of riding do you do? Local terrain? Riding style? Prefer a bike that climbs more efficiently or something that descends better? Roughly how much travel are you interested in? Ideal wheel/tire size? Etc.
    I am looking for around 140mm travel, better climbing abilities, I am a relaxed rider not racing just hanging out with buddies. I currently ride a 29 but want to go with a 27.5 this time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I am looking for around 140mm travel, better climbing abilities, I am a relaxed rider not racing just hanging out with buddies. I currently ride a 29 but want to go with a 27.5 this time.

Maybe Shred Dogg is better'er:
    https://ridegg.com/shreddogg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Not to hi-jack...but what's going on with Whyte? I've been looking at the T-130 and new T-120 for months...neither the 2018 nor the new 2019 have been in stock...forever.
    They sell pretty quickly. Same sometimes goes for some of the other consumer direct brands, like Canyon. When I bought the Whyte T-130 in June, I seem to remember them saying they only had two left in my size and config options at that point. When they did their '18 end of year clean out sale, they really only had something like 5 bikes left. Not a whole lot considering all of the possible different model and size combinations. The 2019's may not have made it across the pond from the U.K. yet. I kind of expect availability to be tight with Whyte. They're popular, and sell pretty quick.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    You may find that most all Direct To Consumer brands are like that, usually a few to several week wait list. Most would say it's worth the wait for the value.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Diamondback Release has done nice builds under 3k.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by eplanajr View Post
    Diamondback Release has done nice builds under 3k.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    They are on my radar also.

mtbr member
    Thank you for all the input. I am going to take a drive and test out a few bikes. I am 2 hours from DuPont and may rent a bike to take out

6'3"?...good luck finding a selection of XL bikes to demo. I'm 6'4" and typically it's slim pickin's. The average sized person does not understand this dilemma.

Some 'mail order' bikes to look into in your pricerange with 140 - 160 travel...
    YT Jeffsey
    Kona Process 153 or 134
    Ferrazzi
    Canyon Spectral
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by sturge View Post
    6'3"?...good luck finding a selection of XL bikes to demo. I'm 6'4" and typically it's slim pickin's. The average sized person does not understand this dilemma.

Some 'mail order' bikes to look into in your pricerange with 140 - 160 travel...
    YT Jeffsey
    Kona Process 153 or 134
    Ferrazzi
    Canyon Spectral
    The Jeffsey and Capra are both on my radar. The Kona looks like a good bike. I just have to study them some more.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Transition Scout NX- recently declared one of the best values under $3k.

https://www.transitionbikes.com/Bike...outAlloyNX.cfm
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Giant Trance could be a possibility..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Transition Scout NX- recently declared one of the best values under $3k.

https://www.transitionbikes.com/Bike...outAlloyNX.cfm
    Hard to argue with that frame and parts spec for the money!
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    X-Fusion Sweep RL2 160mm fork
    Straitline Defacto pedals
    Renthal Fatbar with TV 40mm stem
    Ergon Grips

Thread Killa
    Nov 2012
    The Jeffsey and Capra are both on my radar. The Kona looks like a good bike. I just have to study them some more.

My Process 134 DL never let me down, great bike.