Fenders 'n rack, or no fenders 'n rack- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Fenders & Rack: looks cool or looks noobie?

Do you go fender/mud guard, or nothing at all?

It was raining all day today so I'm thinking about adding some fenders/mud guards. I know some hate fenders/mud guards on mountain bikes and some think it's okay. I think they look cool, especially the motocross style ones vs road/hybrid fenders. I haven't seen anyone on the trails with mud guards yet. If I added it, it might make me look like a noob...but I am a noob. Right now, I'm using my GT Karakoram 29er for everything--XC trails and the odd commute (local store or coffee shop but nothing major like touring). If I used it for more commuting, I might even add a rear rack but that might look even more noob on a mtn bike. Once I add some fenders, I'll post the pics to compare.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fenders 'n rack, or no fenders 'n rack-img_0170.jpg  

Last edited by kevinsam; 08-13-2015 at 09:16 PM.
    Life is like mountain biking. Life comes with its challenges and joys; and for every uphill, there's also a downhill.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Go the cut up 2 liter bottle mud guard route! If you are commuting and worried about mudbutt put one on. Don't worry about looking like a noob, after you have ridden for a while you will pass the guys who look like seasoned pros and then they will go get mud guards to be like you.

mtbr member
    SSChameleo, the 2L bottle is a great idea. It's the cheaper way for sure. If it's wet n muddy, I can pull it out and slap it on. When it's dry, put it away. I like that.

I just got a rear rack for a trunk bag and will post an update pic of it. It looks totally noobie but it fits my needs for snack breaks along the trails.
    Life is like mountain biking. Life comes with its challenges and joys; and for every uphill, there's also a downhill.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Fenders - yeah, sometimes. For my newer bike, I have one of the crudcatcher type superlight fenders that attaches to my fork lower. It works surprisingly well for something so small, competitive with one of the bigger, motocross-looking fenders, and it's very secure. Awesome. I'm tempted to get one for my older mountain bike too, and I'm planning to get one for my rear wheel as well when the weather turns.

Rack - not on a "fast" bike. How much it screws up the handling depends on how much I put on it, of course. But I'm afraid I'd hit it going off something that has me way behind the saddle and when I put any significant load on a rack, I can feel it messing up my bike's handling. I could swear I can feel the presence or absence of a seat wedge, even.

How much do you need to stop and eat while you're riding?? I mean, I'll take a power bar with me if I'm going for three hours or longer, but that fits in a pocket. For longer rides, like 6+ hours, I have a little top tube bag. I find water more of a problem.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Here's something I'm thinking of doing as a DIY.
    Making a fender for your MTB - Tech Q&A - thehubsa.co.za
    or
    A guide for a homemade mudguard that costs you 50p! | BikeRadar Forum

But the rear fenders will be more challenging because the rear rack is taking up space, and the rear reflector is now in the way between the rack and the tire leaving only 1" of space.
    Last edited by kevinsam; 08-13-2015 at 08:48 PM.

mtbr member

MTB with full fenders and rack

I like the way these two bikes look (pics from online).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fenders 'n rack, or no fenders 'n rack-pb-speedez-motobecane.jpg  

Fenders 'n rack, or no fenders 'n rack-mtb-fenders.jpg  

Last edited by kevinsam; 08-13-2015 at 09:03 PM.

mtbr member

my new rack & trunk bag

Looks like I might have thunderstorm tomorrow where i live. I may still go mtn biking so no rain is stopping me... but some mudguards would be nice. I've now decided to go with a rack & trunk bag for snacks and reading when I get to the top of the hill. The rack will cover my butt from some of the rain n mud, but a real fender under the rack will give more coverage.

Right now, there's only just enough space for a fender but the rear reflector is in the way. Seems impossible to get a real fender underneath. Got to figure out how to get a fender in there.
    Option 1: I might have to tear off the piece of metal that attaches the rear reflector to make space for a mountain bike fender to fit underneath.
    Option 2: I could DIY the rear fender with cut-out plastic and cut holes to allow for the reflector. This takes work.
    Option 3: I found this pair on amazon (Planet Bike Cascadia II 29er Fenders) that will fit 29er mountain bikes. Amazon.com : Planet Bike Cascadia Front and Rear Bicycle Fender Set with Mud Flaps : Sports & Outdoors.
    But one reviewer said it needed extra attachments on his Trek X-Caliber 29er to make it fit on his mtb. Amazon.com: Ama_zon_47's review of Planet Bike Cascadia Front and Rear Bicycl...
    (If I were to add these fenders, my bike will look like a 29er Touring MTB.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fenders 'n rack, or no fenders 'n rack-racknbag.jpg  

Last edited by kevinsam; 08-26-2015 at 06:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Fenders 'n rack, or no fenders 'n rack-image.jpgFenders 'n rack, or no fenders 'n rack-image.jpgI'm always running fenders on road and off 50 years of getting muddy is enough! Lol

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by t0pcat View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	715 
Size:	180.8 KB 
ID:	1008435Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	573 
Size:	188.2 KB 
ID:	1008436I'm always running fenders on road and off 50 years of getting muddy is enough! Lol
    Nice, you have fenders on both bikes. There's got to be a better way to mtn bike and still stay fairly clean. Those look like Topeaks.

mtbr member
    Yep I think they work well on th 29 er that's a planet bike cascade and to peak rack like the to peak stuff also have a rack for panniers (Thule pack and pedal)
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

mtbr member

Good job! Planet Bike Cascadia 29er Fenders

Yeah, the Topeaks are nice for a rugged dirt bike look. I like those Planet Bike Cascadia ones.

I also just fitted my 29er with them here too. Almost gave up installing it when I couldn't find a hole to connect it to. Then I did a youtube search and saw someone securing it with zip ties. Rear fender just fit underneath the rear rack too.

Fenders 'n rack, or no fenders 'n rack-img_0258.jpgFenders 'n rack, or no fenders 'n rack-img_0256.jpgFenders 'n rack, or no fenders 'n rack-img_0255.jpg

mtbr member
    With that fender on the front mounted that way its going to hit if you bottom the fork, you have to mount it under the arch like mine take a close look

mtbr member
    With that fender on the front mounted that way its going to hit if you bottom the fork, you have to mount it under the arch like mine take a close look
    Hey topcat, thanks for the tip. I had thought about trying under the arch but there's very little room underneath but I see you managed to fit it under your arch. I'll have to give that a try too. How much room do you have to spare?

mtbr member
    Now I got it right, but there's very little room between the tire and fender (<1 inch).

Fenders 'n rack, or no fenders 'n rack-gtbike_frfender.jpg

Fat-tired Roadie
    This type of fender isn't ideal for MTB, IMO. The piece of plastic bent to match the fork crown and zip tied in doesn't look super slick, but mine has worked really well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    This type of fender isn't ideal for MTB, IMO. The piece of plastic bent to match the fork crown and zip tied in doesn't look super slick, but mine has worked really well.
    I agree, it doesn't look super slick. It might be most effective but gives it a touring/road bike look. When I take it to the trails, it looks really out of place.

AndrwSwitch, do you have a pic of your's with your fenders? I'm curious what would look slick. I thought of the motorcross style fenders too.

Fat-tired Roadie

Here's a shot from last winter. You can see there's very little there. It doesn't look like much, but it's surprisingly effective, doesn't rattle, and I don't kick it.

There's something else I'm planning to try for this coming winter, a molded plastic fender that zip ties to the seat stays. Supposed to work well on FS bikes, which really can't accept a fender with stays that attach to the dropout.