Ellsworth Truth 2002- Mtbr.com
    TimB

Ellsworth Truth 2002

I found this bike with some upgrades, Romic rear coil over shock, crossmax tubeless wheel set, carbon handlebar and seat post, WTB seat, and race face good and evil grips. I have never heard of Ellsworth bikes, not sure if they’re cheep bikes, but it is FS with disc brakes , looks decent , they’re asking $750 but blue book says more like $350 top, is it worth pursuing?

mtbr member
    Ellsworth always made good quality bikes. A friend of mine had the Epiphany and I thought the rear suspension design was outstanding back in the day. Other than that, I suppose the question is what's a 4" travel 26er worth to you?

MTBR has user reviews:
    https://www.mtbr.com/product/older-c...truth.html?p=2
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 03-29-2019 at 06:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Great if you're into retro bikes, probably not worth it if you just want something good to ride.

since 4/10/2009
    yeah, 750 is WAY too high for a bike that old.

Agree that it's not worth the effort if you want a bike to actually ride. You can service a bike of that age, but guaranteed it'll put you into a bind of some sort eventually because of that age.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Runfox View Post
    I found this bike with some upgrades, Romic rear coil over shock, crossmax tubeless wheel set, carbon handlebar and seat post, WTB seat, and race face good and evil grips. I have never heard of Ellsworth bikes, not sure if they’re cheep bikes, but it is FS with disc brakes , looks decent , they’re asking $750 but blue book says more like $350 top, is it worth pursuing?
    I had a 2001 Ellsworth Truth. I loved the bike at the time, but only because I didn’t know any better. It had a stupid steep head tube angle; I had the worst crash in my 20 years of mountain biking on that bike and I attribute a lot of it to the crappy ‘XC race’ geometry that was popular at the time. The 2001 model also,had a design flaw that resulted in a high percentage of frame breaks. Mine finally cracked in 2004. The owner of the LBS commented that he thought mine was the last of the 2001 Truths that he sold to come back for warranty.

Personal opinion: keep looking. The Turner bikes from the time were way superior to the Ellsworth bikes from a geometry perspective. But any bike in the last 10 years is going to be better than bikes from the early 2000s.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    I’ll echo some other comments:

Good bike back in the day (17+ years ago), but a lot has changed since then.

You can do better for $750.

If an old-school-geo, 26” XC bike is what you are specifically looking for (why one would is beyond me), it might be interesting, but it is still not worth anything close to $750.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    for a little more, you could have an excellent last-year's model hardtail which would ride way better in every way.
    https://www.wheelandsprocket.com/pro...7-307756-1.htm

3 years ago, I sold my beloved 2007 motolite for 350. bikes get obsolete and lose value fast.
    https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/sear...spx?id=3030337
    whatever...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Ellsworth always made good quality bikes. A friend of mine had the Epiphany and I thought the rear suspension design was outstanding back in the day. Other than that, I suppose the question is what's a 4" travel 26er worth to you?

MTBR has user reviews:
    https://www.mtbr.com/product/older-c...truth.html?p=2
    "Always" is a bit of a stretch...

Ellsworth Truth 2002-ellsworthcollagesmall.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I only clicked on this thread because I saw that Jayem had posted and, I was not disappointed.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I read Romic shock and cringed.