Eggbeater VS Candy 3- Mtbr.com
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008

Eggbeater VS Candy 3

There doesn't seem to be a better forum category for this...

I've been running the standard eggbeater all season, but I loose my footing at various times (just slips out unexpectedly). I've also been thinking that I want a stronger, more firm platform / placement for the foot-to-pedal scenario.

Does the Candy 3 provide a more solid feel at the pedal than the kinda-loose-side-to-side feeling of the standard eggbeater? Or do I need to head over to SPD? I like SPD but this year I was being a weight-weenie and trying to keep my Reign under 29.5lbs.

Curious if anyone has compared eggbeater to Candy 3 (or similar) and felt any significant difference.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Tried all 3, Eggbeaters are for xc, light, they tear up your undershoes as well, Candys are better, but not that much of a platform to grab,but your soles will last longer, mallets are for me, I can clip out and still ride and since your in the AM thread I guess this is what you want. Weight weenies don't do very well in AM..

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have both (though I usually run flats). I much prefer the candy's. I would make sure that your shoe mates correctly with the pedals. your cleats should touch the platform (otherwise it wouldn't do any good) but not require them to be firmly compressed. I find them a decent pedal for when I'm out on a xc ride and they tend to have less of that "i'm standing on marbles" feel of regular eggbeaters.

meow meow
    candies make no sense to me. not enough platform to be useful for foot stabilization, just a bit of protection. if you can find some acids nab them, if not mallets are a good bet, still pretty light.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I would recommend the new XT trail pedals. Just switched to these after using CB and Time XC models. Using with both carbon XC shoes and fiveten sticky soled cleated shoes and they are great.

I tired of having to rebuild my CB candies and the quick wearing cleats. Times were a bit more reliable, never had to rebuild. But these new trail pedals really seem more robust.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    candies make no sense to me. not enough platform to be useful for foot stabilization, just a bit of protection. if you can find some acids nab them, if not mallets are a good bet, still pretty light.
    If you are using a XC shoe with a stiff sole they work quite well (for what they are) at giving a little support to eggbeaters. I think an Acid or Mallet would work well with a 5.10 type clipless shoe. I can't imagine running a pair of Acid's with my clipless shoes and having it interface well.

meow meow
    i use giro shoes with my acids and it works perfectly. if you look at enduro pros that use cb they are all on mallets and xc shoes. I'm not knocking what you do but if the op is looking for a stable platform candies are not it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i use giro shoes with my acids and it works perfectly. if you look at enduro pros that use cb they are all on mallets and xc shoes. I'm not knocking what you do but if the op is looking for a stable platform candies are not it.
    Well I will give you that... they aren't the most stable platform (which is why I use flats 95% of the time) but they are an improvement over eggbeaters (which was what the OP was asking).

meow meow
    but not enough that it is worth going from eggbeaters to candies. may as weel bite the bullet and get some mallets.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    but not enough that it is worth going from eggbeaters to candies. may as weel bite the bullet and get some mallets.
    meh, depends on what you are after. It does improve it a lot, and it might be enough support to make him happy (again, depending on how your shoes fit it, if none of the sole touches the platform it won't help at all).

I tend to feel if you get a pedal with pins in it, you might as well get a shoe like a maltese falcon or the like so you can take advantage of that. (which would actually be a pretty decent set up, but definitely not a weight weenie one)

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    I may have posted this in the wrong place - yeah I have a Reign / 6" AM bike, but I ride it like an XC bike; I easily do as much climbing as descents. I put my eggbeaters on at the beginning of this year because I was trying hard to get my bike at the 29.5 lb mark (which I did). But I want a firmer feel at the pedal, but won't go mallets.

Was just curious if the Candy, although a tiny "platform" really did give any more of a firmer feel at the pedal.

And I don't like how side-to-side-sloppy my eggbeaters are - they pop out too easy and are a ***** to get in if I'm in the middle of a climb.

Maybe I just need to go back to SPD.

mtbr member

to each his own

I have eggbeaters and candys on two of my bikes, no difference in disengagement.In general you would want further adjustment so as not to disengage in gnarly terrain...really gnarly terrain.Shimano XT pedals are one good choice to dial in disengagement that 'side to side play' is easier on the knees as your particular anatomy can find its own best place to be if everything else is fitted correctly.Your bike is not so good for Crankbrothers products.engagement is stellar on eggbeaters..in my opinion.The only adjustment is to choose either 10 or 15 degree clip out angle...please reference their website
    Last edited by tucoramirez; 09-30-2012 at 12:50 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 1