Drive train help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Drive train help

I currently have a cannondale prophet with the standard 3x9 chain wheel and cassette. I'm looking to switch to a 2x10 or 2x9 setup. I also have a SRAM x-7 rear dérailleur with a long cage I would like to run the 2x9 with a short cage. Is this possible am I going to get much climbing advantage upping the cassette to a 10 speed.
    Last edited by Beau44; 07-31-2012 at 06:29 PM.

BMF
    Oct 2007
    It's easy enough to switch to 2x9 using your existing components and simply purchasing new chain rings and a bash guard if you like. I don't think there's a huge advantage going 2x10 and you'd have to change out a lot more of your setup to do so.

I don't think you can run 2x9 with a short cage RD, you'd need the medium cage, especially if you want a wide range on the cassette. When I changed one of my bikes from SRAM 3x9 to 2x9 I stayed with the long cage RD and it worked fine - so unless you have a med cage lying around I don't see any reason not to use your current derailleur unless it's broken.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Yeah with a little more thought there's no harm in starting with the crank set and see how the 2x9 goes first. The only reason I was thinking of the shorter RD cage was I heard they shift a little More precise.

Members who have read this thread: 0