mtbr member

Does anything beat it?

Looking at getting rid of my road bike and getting back into the dirt. Looking at spending around 1200. So far I cant see anything that beats the 2019 Vitus Sentier VR (SLX 1x11) Only thing I see missing is a dropper. Any critiques of the build or experience from earlier models?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

WTS i29 rims, 29 x 2.6 tires, Boost 148 and 15x110 hubs. Good setup.

mtbr member
    Spend another 100 bucks and get a marin hawk hill.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by WesleeC View Post
    Looking at getting rid of my road bike and getting back into the dirt. Looking at spending around 1200. So far I cant see anything that beats the 2019 Vitus Sentier VR (SLX 1x11) Only thing I see missing is a dropper. Any critiques of the build or experience from earlier models?
    Coming into stock on the 22nd (two days from now) is the Nukeproof Scout 275 Race. Its essentially the same bike, with a slightly slacker head angle (66 on the Vitus, 65 on the nukeproof). Its a bit more expensive ($1350 vs 1200) but that is explained by the dropper that is included with it. Other than that, only minor changes. I think the vitus has 180/160 rotors, while the nukeproof has 180/180.

Im ordering the nukeproof as soon as its available Its another chainreactioncycles brand just like vitus.

Theres the scout 275 and 290 for the same price. Just depends on what wheel size you want. 27.5x2.6 or 29x2.35

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AshBorer View Post
    Coming into stock on the 22nd (two days from now) is the Nukeproof Scout 275 Race. Its essentially the same bike, with a slightly slacker head angle (66 on the Vitus, 65 on the nukeproof). Its a bit more expensive ($1350 vs 1200) but that is explained by the dropper that is included with it. Other than that, only minor changes. I think the vitus has 180/160 rotors, while the nukeproof has 180/180.

Im ordering the nukeproof as soon as its available Its another chainreactioncycles brand just like vitus.

Theres the scout 275 and 290 for the same price. Just depends on what wheel size you want. 27.5x2.6 or 29x2.35
    That Scout looks like a very cool bike.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

Barely in control
    What's this about getting rid of your road bike? Ride both!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post

WTS i29 rims, 29 x 2.6 tires, Boost 148 and 15x110 hubs. Good setup.
    It comes with 27.5 x 2.6 tyres or 29 x 2.35

Also the opening image you see before you play the video above is the VRX with a Rockshox Revelation fork and dropper post!

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Calibre Bossnut?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Ooo, I for some reason hadn't noticed that the Sentier VR 29'er came with 2.6's.

The Nukeproof scout 290 only fits up to 2.5in wide rear tires for some reason. The fact that the Sentier goes up to 2.6 does interest me, as its a bit more volume to cushion the ride.

If you're not 100% decided on 29in tires, you can also check out the Whyte 901. Its even slacker than the Nukeproof (64.5 HTA, 74.5 STA), with a smaller offset fork (37mm vs 46mm, which increases trail, which also effectively slackens the bike a bit). It is only available in 27.5+ (2.8in) tires though. It does include the dropper, as well as 4 pot brakes, which I believe are an upgrade over the 2 pot shimanos on the Nukeproof. The price point is $50 more than the Nukeproof, at $1400.

I've been pretty set on getting one of those (Nukeproof/whyte) after the new year. But now it looks like I'll have to take a closer look at the Sentier again .

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'm set with the Sentier. Looks like a really well thought out bike that's ready to shred out of the box, but also seems like a great frame to upgrade later on down the road.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ocnLogan View Post
    Ooo, I for some reason hadn't noticed that the Sentier VR 29'er came with 2.6's.

The Nukeproof scout 290 only fits up to 2.5in wide rear tires for some reason. The fact that the Sentier goes up to 2.6 does interest me, as its a bit more volume to cushion the ride.
    It doesn't. The Sentier 29 comes with 29x2.35 tyres. It's the standard Sentier that comes with 27.5x2.6 tyres.

Not sure what the max width is of the Sentier 29.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I just ordered the Scout 290 Race myself

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I just ordered the Scout 290 Race myself
    I wonder what the Sektor fork is like? Let us know!

Anything is an improvement over my 100mm Rockshox RC30 lol!

PS. Did you consider any other bikes?

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by hambocairns View Post

It was mostly between the Vitus and the Nukeproof. In fact the biggest debate was 27.5" or 29. Went with the nukeproof because it included a dropper which i would have purchased separately for the Sentier anyway. Savesm e some trouble of buying my own and installing it, which admittedly isnt that hard haha.

One that i was looking at which wasnt mentioned is the Sonder Transmitter NX1 for $1400. What steered me away was people said that the hubs that come with the mud rumpus wheelset are complete garbage on that bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    It was mostly between the Vitus and the Nukeproof. In fact the biggest debate was 27.5" or 29. Went with the nukeproof because it included a dropper which i would have purchased separately for the Sentier anyway. Savesm e some trouble of buying my own and installing it, which admittedly isnt that hard haha.

One that i was looking at which wasnt mentioned is the Sonder Transmitter NX1 for $1400. What steered me away was people said that the hubs that come with the mud rumpus wheelset are complete garbage on that bike.
    Yeah, good point as the Vitus bafflingly doesn't offer a 29er in the VRS spec which would have been my pick.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018

I do believe that I have the same exact fork as you (in 26in form for me at least). I'm also curious about the sektor. As I'm very likely going to buy the scout,or the 901,both of which use th same fork.

And exciting ash. Super interested to see how you like it.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Does anything beat it?
    Michael Jackson
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Well just ordered my Sentier VR 27.5. Stoked to see how it rides!

mtbr member
    Well just ordered my Sentier VR 27.5. Stoked to see how it rides!
    Ordered the same bike, will have it Friday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LargeMan View Post
    Ordered the same bike, will have it Friday.
    When did you order? My order has said processing on the Chain Reaction site since Monday.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    When did you order? My order has said processing on the Chain Reaction site since Monday.
    I ordered my Scout 290 on November 29th, and it was processing until I emailed them on Thursday (the 6th). They apologized, gave me a $5 gift voucher, and it shipped that day.... its supposed to arrive on Monday. Im in the US, so thats like 4 day shipping across the atlantic. Pretty good lol.

I was in contact with someone else who ordered right when I did and his was stuck processing too. But then it randomly showed up on his door yesterday. Really odd lol.

mtbr member
    I ordered my Scout 290 on November 29th, and it was processing until I emailed them on Thursday (the 6th). They apologized, gave me a $5 gift voucher, and it shipped that day.... its supposed to arrive on Monday. Im in the US, so thats like 4 day shipping across the atlantic. Pretty good lol.

I was in contact with someone else who ordered right when I did and his was stuck processing too. But then it randomly showed up on his door yesterday. Really odd lol.
    Ya I got a hold of them yesterday and had a tracking number this morning. I hope mine will be here by Tuesday! Wife says I cant open it til Christmas though. We'll see if that holds true.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Can you post some photos on how it arrived? I'm curious about how much tuning it needs out the box.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Delete
    Last edited by AshBorer; 1 Day Ago at 01:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'm still stuck wondering whether to get the Vitus Sentier VRS or the NP Scout 290 Race.

If I could I'd have a Vitus Sentier 29 VRS but they don't make it!

mtbr member
    Mine came completely adjusted, just installed seatpost, bars and pedals and set it up tubeless. Weather here is crap right now, bike is light and fits great. Maybe this weekend it will get its first ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Can you post some photos on how it arrived? I'm curious about how much tuning it needs out the box.
    Does anything beat it?-hekgrkdh.jpg

Does anything beat it?-kwvvayvh.jpg

All I has to do was attach front wheel, attach handle bars, and adjust the brakes a little. I haven't given it a proper ride yet so there may be some tuning ill have to do, not sure yet. I'm new to this lol. There were 2 chips in the paint but fortunately they included touch up paint in the box. They also included valves stems to covert to tubeless

edit: also it shipped to me in a Kona box so I was scratching my head when it arrived since I dont even think chainreactioncycles carried kona products...but I was secretly hoping they screwed up and sent me some $50000 carbon kona fs or somethin lol.
    Last edited by AshBorer; 1 Day Ago at 03:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    What's the paint and finish like? Good quality?

Also, is that a Medium?

mtbr member
    Got mine last night. Same thing here. Everything was ready to go out of the box. Just put front wheel and bars on, checked the shock pressure (will tune that after a few rides) and was ready to go. . I will probably cut my bars down soon, but it's ready to ride.

Paint quality seemed really good! Only scratch I found was on the seat post pretty far down. Going to replace that after christmas anyways. Very pleased.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    What's the paint and finish like? Good quality?

Also, is that a Medium?
    There were 2 chips in the paint. One was on the seat tube, the other was on the down tube. Both were small and the provided touch up paint perfectly remedied it. The rest of the paint looked great and was nice and shiny. Speaking of the paint, from the pictures online i thought it was black and red, but the black is actually a really dark blue - it looks really awesome in direct sunlight. Ill have to get a pic sometime to show off the blue color.

The bike i got is a large. I'm 6'0 with a 33" inseam, which puts me pretty comfortably in the large category. The bike fits great.

I rode it around the neighboorhood for a bit today. I will have to bleed the brakes... its really only the rear ones which need to be bled but ill do em both for good measure. Besides that I will have to lower the fork pressure a little bit - im 200lbs and not even getting like 10% sag on it. The bike was shifting flawlessly, dropper post works great. Nothin to really complain about. I cant wait to hit some actual trails.

It should be noted that all my input should be taken with a grain of salt because ive not ridden in so long and this is my first real mountain bike lol. I dont have a whole lot else to compare it to :P

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Damn, that's a large? Looks fantastic!

As for the colour, can't wait to see the blue (if possible). It's hard not to get sucked in and think you 'need' a 35mm stanchioned fork (Comp has the Revelation).

Let us know how the fork performs!

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Damn, that's a large? Looks fantastic!

As for the colour, can't wait to see the blue (if possible). It's hard not to get sucked in and think you 'need' a 35mm stanchioned fork (Comp has the Revelation).

Let us know how the fork performs!
    Here the best look I have at the color. This was before I wiped it down so theres little specs of white on there, just dust or something not paint chips/scratches.

Does anything beat it?-t4nlh4y.jpg

Im not going to be able to ride it again until next week, I hope to hit some trails then. I'll definitely come back and report on the ride(s) whenever those may be.

Heres an album with some more pictures, some from my garage

https://imgur.com/a/MceB1CP

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Whoa, I totally thought that was black and red.

I had absolutely no idea that it was actually a dark navy blue.

FWIW, I can't access your other imgur links. Maybe you accidentally linked to private URLs?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ocnLogan View Post
    Whoa, I totally thought that was black and red.

I had absolutely no idea that it was actually a dark navy blue.
    Me too! It looks amazing

The Comp is the boring colour, whereas my favourite is the Sport. And no they won't swap frames on request

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Yeah the links were broken for me too, I changed the link to just an album hopefully that works better. Seems to be working right now (for me) at least.

mtbr member
    Yeah the links were broken for me too, I changed the link to just an album hopefully that works better. Seems to be working right now (for me) at least.
    The link worked for me as well.