Dirtjumper or hardtail- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2019

Dirtjumper or hardtail

Hello to all, I need advice!
    I just moved from switzerland to massachusetts USA. IN switzerland i rode mostly enduro and trail. I had a Scott Genius 720 or 740 can't remember, and i loved it in every aspect. And my favorite type of riding is all mountain. Climbing up, and shredding down. Here in Boston though, there are not as many hills, as you may imagine. My plan is to get a dirtjumper for street riding, to get better at technique and jumps. The thing is I'm not sure whether to get a 27.5" hardtail, or a DJ. We do have some trails in New England, but i don't have the budget to get another enduro full suspension bike. I'm looking for this kind of advice: Can i enjoy trail riding as much on a dirtjumper as on a hardtail? Can i raise the seatpost on a dirtjumper? And from these brands (a lot), if someone can help narrow it down for me it would be greatly appreciated: Scott, Commencal, GT, Polygon, Norco, NS bikes, Transition, Pivot, Dartmoor, Haro, Octane One, Orange, Diamondback, Nukeproof, Vitus, DMR, Saracen, Marin, Trek. If i can narrow it down to three or four it would help a lot. I know its a lot of brands, but since ive never owned a dirtjumper, I'm not familiar with these brands in the same way as enduro. By the way, budget is from 700 to 1500 dollars. So, out of these, Dirtjumper or hardtail? For mostly street, and sometimes trail. Thank you very much to anyone who takes the time to help me! Cheers

ILIKEBIKES
    Aug 2009
    While a dirt jumper looks like fun, I have seen many people say they are not great as a trail bike. However, a hardtail can be fun for dirt jumping- example is Chromag Stylus... quite a bit above your stated budget but I just throw that out as an example.
    "The free press doesn't serve the government, it serves the governed."

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Hey, just looked on their site (although probably isnt the best option for pricing to do that) and looked aroung the hardtails they have. I like them, but you're right, starting at 3000 dollars is quite out of my price range.For half that price i'll be looking at a Nukeproof scout 275 comp, which I was really considering. But thanks for the heads up tjchad!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by tjchad View Post
    While a dirt jumper looks like fun, I have seen many people say they are not great as a trail bike. However, a hardtail can be fun for dirt jumping- example is Chromag Stylus... quite a bit above your stated budget but I just throw that out as an example.
    Hey, just looked on their site (although probably isnt the best option for pricing to do that) and looked aroung the hardtails they have. I like them, but you're right, starting at 3000 dollars is quite out of my price range.For half that price i'll be looking at a Nukeproof scout 275 comp, which I was really considering. But thanks for the heads up tjchad!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Dirt jumpers can be a lot of fun, but I think a good hardtail would be more versatile. I have an old Azonic Steelhead dirt jump frame that I want to build up again someday. I just added a Kona Big Honzo to the stable though. I was looking at hardtails in the same price range and landed on the Kona. The others I was looking at were the Rocky Mountain Growler, Diamondback Sync'r, and the Commencal Meta AM. That Nukeproof Scout looks like a fun one too. The Commencal and the Nukeproof have pretty slack HTA's.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by 05stroker View Post
    Dirt jumpers can be a lot of fun, but I think a good hardtail would be more versatile. I have an old Azonic Steelhead dirt jump frame that I want to build up again someday. I just added a Kona Big Honzo to the stable though. I was looking at hardtails in the same price range and landed on the Kona. The others I was looking at were the Rocky Mountain Growler, Diamondback Sync'r, and the Commencal Meta AM. That Nukeproof Scout looks like a fun one too. The Commencal and the Nukeproof have pretty slack HTA's.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Thanks 05stroker, i quite like the meta hardtail, nice looking bike! I've heard a lot about how good kona is as well, gonna look into it. I think it isnt too expensive as well, anyway good luck with your rebuil on the azonic!

mtbr member
    Tons of trail riding in the greater Boston area. Most all are quite rocky and rooty, great for HT of FS trail bikes. All mountain or enduro bikes are too much for most all of it, though plenty of guys ride those too. You might post in the mtbr MA forum: https://forums.mtbr.com/massachusetts/

And, check out this vid of some Boston area riding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=zglOtQLySXE
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Tons of trail riding in the greater Boston area. Most all are quite rocky and rooty, great for HT of FS trail bikes. All mountain or enduro bikes are too much for most all of it, though plenty of guys ride those too. You might post in the mtbr MA forum: https://forums.mtbr.com/massachusetts/

And, check out this vid of some Boston area riding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=zglOtQLySXE
    thanks bud will do!

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I'd go with the HT for sure. Much more versatile. The Scout is a great bang for the buck as well. I still want one pretty badly. Maybe next year...
    Overall sex appeal; the Commencal takes the cake IMO.