Dirt jumper fork for heavier rider on trail bike??- Mtbr.com
    Mxer79
    May 2020

Dirt jumper fork for heavier rider on trail bike??

Hello everyone...was really hoping for some insight on my current situation....Iím riding a Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt 27.5Ē....bike has a RockShox Gold RL fork...and Fox float DPS rear shock....Iíve only been riding seriously for about 5 years...I ride to cross train for motocross/off road racing on Mx bikes....but have been getting into it more and more as of late...my question is Iím a heavier guy being 240 lbs...I came from a BMX background...i find myself all the time keeping this fork locked out on the trail ...like all the time even when hitting jumps and drops...if I donít itís just to soft...I have the fork about maxed out at 200psi....same with rear shock...shock feels pretty good believe it or not.. but I see Iím using every bit of its travel even on the smallest of jumps with it on its firmest setting...I ride mostly single track with lots of climbs but with some flow sections..and some small downhill type stuff...its almost like Iím trying to get my bike to feel like a rigid front end ..thatís what Iím used to hitting stuff with....but Iíve never once ridden a dirt jumper fork...has anyone ever tried something like this? Would it work? Are there any other options for heavier dude like me? Even with the fork locked out when cranking up a hill Iím still getting a bit of bouncing squishy action...Iím sure leaving this fork locked out and jumping stuff is t great for it?? Thanks seriously for any help!

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mxer79 View Post
    Hello everyone...was really hoping for some insight on my current situation....Iím riding a Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt 27.5Ē....bike has a RockShox Gold RL fork...and Fox float DPS rear shock....Iíve only been riding seriously for about 5 years...I ride to cross train for motocross/off road racing on Mx bikes....but have been getting into it more and more as of late...my question is Iím a heavier guy being 240 lbs...I came from a BMX background...i find myself all the time keeping this fork locked out on the trail ...like all the time even when hitting jumps and drops...if I donít itís just to soft...I have the fork about maxed out at 200psi....same with rear shock...shock feels pretty good believe it or not.. but I see Iím using every bit of its travel even on the smallest of jumps with it on its firmest setting...I ride mostly single track with lots of climbs but with some flow sections..and some small downhill type stuff...its almost like Iím trying to get my bike to feel like a rigid front end ..thatís what Iím used to hitting stuff with....but Iíve never once ridden a dirt jumper fork...has anyone ever tried something like this? Would it work? Are there any other options for heavier dude like me? Even with the fork locked out when cranking up a hill Iím still getting a bit of bouncing squishy action...Iím sure leaving this fork locked out and jumping stuff is t great for it?? Thanks seriously for any help!
    Paragraphs: they're great! You should try them.

A quick check of the RM website shows a 140mm Recon fork, is that what's on your bike?

If so it's a very under gunned 32mm stanchion fork, especially for a bigger guy. No surprise you can't get enough air in it to get it to perform the way you want.

You need a beefier fork. Check out the Marzocchi Z2, Manitou Mattoc Comp, or RS 35. In that order.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mbtr member
    It sounds like you need more air in your shock. Repeatedly bottoming it will likely break the frame. Recommended sag is a suggestion on where to start.

Sounds like you have a recon gold. It's not a great fork, but you shouldn't need to ride it locked out with 25% more air than suggested. You can damage the seals in the damper by riding it locked out and taking a big impact- you might have done that.

You don't want a dirt jumper fork because they've valved for DJ- smooth terrain with single large impacts.

+1 to onespeed's fork recommendations, but i wouldn't bother with the 35. I'd look for DVO on sale or something.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

Mxer79
    May 2020
    I thank you guys very much for the replies...Iím learning here Iím trying to take in as much info as I can....Iím still a noob in the land of mountain bike parts/components...can I ask what a DVO is? My other question is a buddy just literally gave me for FREE a RockShox R2L lyric u turn fork....but it has a straight steer post on it where my current fork rock Shox gold rl has a tapered one. They are both 1-1/8Ē
    There are adapters that exist to make this fork work with with my current headset correct? FSA orbit? This heavier fork I got for free looks like it was pretty high end for at one time..and is in great shape!...measuring from the center of the axle to the top of the crown this fork measures 21-1/2Ē where my current fork measures 20.5Ē...also pretty sure this free fork came off a 26Ē wheel bike...will this give me a slacked out ride now? My main question i guess is it worth the money to put this on the bike I know Iíll need a new hub/ or wheel setup for the 20mm maxle...any help is appreciated and thanks!!!