The dilemma of being poor and wanting a full suspension- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2018

The dilemma of being poor and wanting a full suspension

Background info - owner of an '09 Cannodale F7 hardtail, which I have upgraded parts to my liking, so that it is a really nice machine. Problem is, I am old, my body is all beat up from past injuries, and I have short legs. My bike is too tall for me. I am always in-between sizes on everything. I got my bike new on clearance from REI, but they only had a large frame, which is just too tall for me. I have owned it for going on 10 years, suffering through that height issue, while my body got older. I need something to take out the jarring ride over roots and rocks, so I am trying to sell it and go to a full suspension. Problem is, there is no demand for my bike, I have kept lowering my price, and now nobody wants it at $300. I'm guessing I could probably get that much for it by parting it out. I am currently not working, so I am hoping to put that money toward another bike.

I am looking for an older full suspension bike in the $500 range, but having a hard time finding one, and when they appear, they go fast at that price. I do have a lead on a 2001 Marin Vision Mount for $475, shipped. I have read reviews on that bike, and they are generally glowing reviews. This one has hydraulic discs, a dropper seat post, upgraded fork, etc., has been well-maintained, and seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Anyone have experience with that bike? Any particulars I should look out for or be wary of? It appears that I can still get rebuild parts for the fork and shock, which was my first concern.

Or, anyone in the Atlanta Georgia area have a full suspension bike they want to get rid of for $500 or less?

mtbr member
    You're better of buying a used hardtail that fits well with plus tires. A modern plus bike will be more capable, more reliable, and have lower maintenance cost. Plus tires will add a lot of comfort.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Hold off and save your $$$. Rigid is better than crappy suspension, every time. It would even be better to get a decent 29er hardtail as a nice upgrade IMO if you can't swing the FS bike at this point, but don't go and buy someone's blown out FS bike or some real cheap thing, you will regret it. FS bikes need serviceable bearings and suspension components and sometimes when these things go, they affect other parts of the frame and once some slop/looseness develops, it can't be fixed because the person let the situation go too far. Shocks and forks need rebuilds/servicing to not self-destruct over time, etc. In that price range, you are probably looking at something that hasn't been serviced in a long time, if ever.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Here is what i would do, look for older frame, like santa cruz heckler that takes 26 inch rims, buy that, and use as much parts as possible.....like this one on ebay, https://www.ebay.com/i/263800687360?chn=ps is example, hecklers were awesome 26 ers....200--400 for frame, and piece together the rest

mtbr member
    I agree with the hold off and save more money call however i dont agree with you are better off with a hardtail.

Save up and buy a second hand 26" full suss around 2012 ish just before the switch to 27.5. Those bikes are worth hardly anything these days and they are still pretty good tech. Albeit not the latest tech. 2001 is too old and will be terrible by todays standards.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I would wait till you have the money. I started on a hardtail, wanted the FS but didn't have the money. So, I bought an upgraded hardtail, then ditched it 6 months later and got the FS.

banned
    Dec 2018
    Buy a hardtail that fits. Add a suspension seat post.

https://redshiftsports.com/shockstop...nsion-seatpost

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Man, if I were in your shoes, I would seriously take up jogging, or speedwalking. If thats too hard on your body, rollerblading always seemed like it was super cool! In 2009 I had a serious injury. I was on the top of a Mountain at 8000 ft and thought to myself : I should sell my 3 Mt bikes, buy an awesome pair of running shoes, and become a runner. So much easier than Mt Bikes. Take running shoes to work, take shoes on a plane, take shoes on vacation, take shoes everywhere in the size of a bag for 2 shoes! So easy! So cheap! No theft! Who would steal nasty used shoes? good luck to you man, sell that POS bike of yours for whatever you can, buy a 27.5 inch, hardtail singlespeed with 2.6 tires (instead of suspension) and start adding parts to it. Lurk on the singlespeed forum, its my favorite forum on MTBR. Super cool people will help you if you ask. Just take time, and build an awesome cheap bike!

mtbr member
    I sold a really well slx/xt spec'd Kona dawg to a buddy for $100. Great bike, but there is no demand for 26ers.

Keep looking. You'll get lucky. Fs is the way to go!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    Man, if I were in your shoes, I would seriously take up jogging, or speedwalking. If thats too hard on your body, rollerblading always seemed like it was super cool!
    Shirley you must be joking.

Rollerblading.

mtbr member
    Have you explored the option of finding a used full suspension frame that is compatible with most of the parts off the hardtail you are trying to get rid of? It might be a way to get a decent bike for a great price.

Ebay and craigslist will probably be your best bets.
    My name is George. Iím unemployed and I live with my parents.
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    You can get an fs if you look hard enough. I bought a 2001 stumpy fsr for 350 5 yrs ago. I also bought a 2009 stumpy fsr like new for 800 a couple of years ago.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabe_shredder View Post
    You can get an fs if you look hard enough. I bought a 2001 stumpy fsr for 350 5 yrs ago. I also bought a 2009 stumpy fsr like new for 800 a couple of years ago.
    I bought the Marin I mentioned in my OP. It has some miles on it, but it is a very nice bike and I really like it. I enjoy working on things, so I don't mind the maintenance I have had to do to it.

mtbr member
    if you need a stem pm me, i got several of different kinds, mostly I think 80-100 with a little bit of rise, I know the older bikes put you sort of in lower positions. Anyway, if you need a stem with some rise, let me know, you can have one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by vernondozier View Post
    if you need a stem pm me, i got several of different kinds, mostly I think 80-100 with a little bit of rise, I know the older bikes put you sort of in lower positions. Anyway, if you need a stem with some rise, let me know, you can have one.
    Thanks. I will bookmark this in my bike folder and try to keep that in mind. I am always in-between sizes on everything, and was reminded of that fact (short legs and long arms make that fact worse - yeah, I'm a knuckledragger). This bike frame is borderline too small for me. But the next size up would be borderline too big. I have already installed riser handlebars on it. If I need a different stem, I will PM you.

I took the bike for a long, hard ride yesterday, and fell even more in love with it. Am I rationalizing or justifying? Probably. Just like people do when they buy a $3,000 bike. But I can grin more because I paid only hundreds.

Gawd, my creaking, busted old bones love FS! In more ways than one. Not only is is waaaaay more comfortable on my ass and elbows, but the back tire stays planted on turns and climbs. I am done with hardtails. Forever. And this bike handles like a Miata, which means dream-like. It is so freaking nimble and agile. And the 5-6 lb lighter than my previous Cannondale F7 is very noticeable, not only while riding, but especially when I pick it up to put it on my rack or hang it up in my basement.

mtbr member
    Glad you are enjoying it!
    My name is George. Iím unemployed and I live with my parents.
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO