ATA
    ATA
    May 2018

Diamondback Sync'r vs Polygon Trid

I currently have a downhill bike that I bought used for $500 (Santa Cruz VP Free) but it has been too heavy for my liking. The geometry is really old, so if I want a newer geometry bike I have to buy a hardtail with the amount of money I have saved ($1200). I have been looking at the Diamondback Sync'r and the Polygon Trid. I mostly do bigger dirt jumps and every once in a while lift accessed terrain. Which do you think is better overall? BTW I live an hour away from the Diamondback HQ.

https://www.diamondback.com/sync-r-27-5-41
    https://www.polygonbikes.com/shop/bi...dj-bmx/trid-3/

mtbr member
    If you're mainly doing jumps, then the Polygon would be the bike to get. It's very specialized to jumping.

If you do any general trail riding with climbs and such, then the Diamondback would be the better choice.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Wow, those two bikes really are for completely different jobs. One is flat out a dirt jump bike. Nothing more, nothing less. The other is a trail bike.

Curveball has it detailed properly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    If you are interested in an actual trail bike that is somewhat set up for dirt jumping, this thread attacks it from that angle. http://forums.mtbr.com/all-mountain/...e-1091463.html

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    When you say "bigger dirt jumps", is that at a dirt jump specific location, or are you talking about decent sized jumps mid trail?

The Sync'r is a fairly generic trail hardtail, and as such, is way more versatile than the Polygon. Mostly for reasons like... It has 11 speeds (the TRID is a singlespeed), more fork travel, larger wheels/tires, etc.

However, if you want a proper dirt jumping bike, the TRID is going to the better choice.

My buddy has a Sync'r, and seems to like it so far. However he (and I) are both newer riders, so we haven't pushed it that far/hard yet. With the corp discount it is a pretty good value.

Also, you may consider these, as they are pretty well respected hardtails in that price range, that may be worth considering.

• Mason 2 ($1300 before corp discount, so a bit out of budget, or under, depending on your situation).
    • NukeProof Scout sport ~$1000 (the race version is better spec'd, and is ~$1350, so a bit out of your budget, may be worth stretching for)
    • Vitus Sentier VR ($1200)
    • Vitus Sentier ($1000)
    • Commencal Meta AM HT Origin ($1100)

Good luck finding something you like .

ATA
    ATA
    May 2018
    I live 5 minutes away from duthie so I think dj would be better.

ATA
    ATA
    May 2018
    Does anyone know if the fork of the Syncír is good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ATA View Post
    Man, I'd love to live 5 min from Duthie. I'd be there every night.

However, I don't think I've ever seen a DJ bike at Duthie. Full suspension bikes seem to be the vast majority of the bikes I've seen there, with trail style hardtails, and the occasional XC bike the making up the rest.

Based on the times I've been there, I'd prefer a trail style bike. But, I mean, obviously buy what you think would work best.

Good luck man, and enjoy living so close!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Yeah, the fork is ok, not great. I think you need to make a decision regarding whether you want to ride trails with some jumps, or bike parks with dirt jumps, because there's little crossover in the bikes for those respective purposes. As noted above, a dedicated DJ bike is nearly useless for anything else.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ATA View Post
    Well, there are a lot of jumps there where a DJ bike like the Polygon would be a hoot.

There are also dirt jumps at Hartman Park in Redmond. Oh, not to mention the big jumps at Woodland Park in Seattle.

If flying in the air is your bag, then the Polygon would be a good bet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    Well, there are a lot of jumps there where a DJ bike like the Polygon would be a hoot.

There are also dirt jumps at Hartman Park in Redmond. Oh, not to mention the big jumps at Woodland Park in Seattle.

If flying in the air is your bag, then the Polygon would be a good bet.
    Is Hartman park the same thing as the Redmond Bike Park? The Redmond bike park is great fun either way. I'm nowhere near skilled enough to hit all the jumps there yet, but its a great place to session stuff when you're wanting to practice jumping. Its easy to get in lots of laps.

Also, the Torgeson pump track in North bend would be a blast with a DJ bike.

For the rest of Duthie though, I feel like the DJ bike would be problematic. No gearing to help on the climb trails, not as good of suspension for the rougher corners, smaller tires making the roots/rocks feel larger, etc.

Personally I'd be going with something like the NukeProof Scout, but thats just me.

Good luck finding something that works for you .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ocnLogan View Post
    Is Hartman park the same thing as the Redmond Bike Park? The Redmond bike park is great fun either way. I'm nowhere near skilled enough to hit all the jumps there yet, but its a great place to session stuff when you're wanting to practice jumping. Its easy to get in lots of laps.

Also, the Torgeson pump track in North bend would be a blast with a DJ bike.

For the rest of Duthie though, I feel like the DJ bike would be problematic. No gearing to help on the climb trails, not as good of suspension for the rougher corners, smaller tires making the roots/rocks feel larger, etc.

Personally I'd be going with something like the NukeProof Scout, but thats just me.

Good luck finding something that works for you .
    Yeah, that's the Redmond Bike Park.

The Nukeproof Scout looks like a very sweet bike for the money. Some good versatility on that one.