mtbr member
    Jan 2019

Wink Desperate plee for help - Tomroorrow I go bike shopping

Looking for a bike around the $100 USD range,

I'm wondering what are my options?

My mom said to go with the Huffy Highland,

I was looking at the Granite peak roadmaster,

I'm wondering, what are some suggestions as far as what to go with for a inexpensive commuter mountain bike?

I'm 6ft, and 220 lbs, if that makes a difference.

What about the huffy alpine?

(the people who shotdown the huffy highland were from a motorized bicycle community, they didn't think the suspension would do much over the granite peak roadmaster.)

Any additional advice would be greatly appreciated, this isn't an everyday expenditure for me. I'm hoping the bike will last me longer than the razor kick scooters do...

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    lastly, will the granite peak be more hassle free than the razor scooters!?

WillWorkForTrail
    You use the term commuter - where will you be riding this bike? Exactly what you plan on doing is super important when you're trying to decide on a bike.

mtbr member
    You need a life, not a bike. New Years resolution to waste more time online, I take it?
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    I've always been kind of surprised at the relatively low number of trolls on this forum.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    plan on riding it just about everywhere, in between train stops/bus stops. mostly on the road

Cycologist
    You'd be way better off with an old non-suspension bike off of Craigslist. Yes, really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    craigslist isn't an option as I need to get the bike soon,

also, I'm not a pro and I wouldn't know exactly what to look for.

with this in mind, what box store bike would you recommend?

Cycologist
    You're just not going to get much of a bike for $100 and even less so for new. If that's really what you have to do, I'd buy the absolute simplest bike I cold find. Something like this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/700C-Mong...ange/143302742

Whatever you get, you will need to complete go over it to make sure everything was assembled properly. I've seen lots of people report buying a big box bike and then immediately snapping a pedal off or something similar. But then, don't be surprised if something breaks right a way anyway, especially at your weight, $100 just doesn't get you much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

mtbr member
    I'd go with the Mt. Fury.
    I brake for stinkbugs

WillWorkForTrail
    Right. Don't bother with suspension. First off, in this price range suspension will be a joke anyway. It will also be designed to work for people half your weight, and there won't be anything you can do about that. All suspension will do is make your bike heavier, less pleasant to ride, and you will have spent money on bits that won't really work anyway, which will mean that the rest of the bike will be that much worse, because at the end of the day, you're getting a bike for $100 - that money can go to things that work, or things that don't.

The FIRST thing I would do - is go to ANY local bike shops you might have and ask if they have anything used they can really make you a deal on - tell them what you have to spend and that basically if Walmart is the only place you can get a bike for that, that's where you'll end up. More than one bike shop I've dealt with has kept a couple of "real clunkers" in the back - these bikes might look ratty and worn out, but the reality of the situation is, those bikes are still better quality than a walmart bike. If you don't have time for Craigslist, make time to visit the bike shops, or at least call them. You might also browse facebook marketplace.

In reality, you want a basic bike. The fact of the matter is, the fewer moving parts it has, the better. Go to the Walmart website, and start by narrowing down your search. Select Adult bikes, select Male bikes, select 1 speed. This will get you things like beach cruisers, single speed road bikes, and fixies, along with the standard crop of BMX bikes. Look at these bikes HARD before you talk to your local bike shops. Because if they offer you something that looks like ANY of these options, take it, no matter how uncool you think it is. The reason? The bike you get from the bike shop can probably be repaired, and is much more likely to hold up to daily use than the bigbox bike.

A lot of this information is probably hard to swallow, but the reality of the situation is, I weigh as much as you do, and pay thousands of dollars for bikes I can ride on trails in the woods. Sometimes, even those bikes break, but I can get parts. Sometimes, the frames even break. But that's why my steel single speed frame costs $500. So it won't break, or weight as much as a boat anchor. At your price range, you're compromising a lot. Don't try to hop curbs. Don't jump it. Probably don't even ride wheelies on it. I like nothing better than to see someone buy a bike and be happy riding it. I hope, no matter how unpleasant my advice has been, it helps you find something that will last you a little while, and serve the purpose you require.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    last question,

what about any of the mountain bikes under the phrase "Mountain bike" on an ebay search

I see some of these come with a front suspension and both rear and front disc break, are any of these, around the $100 dollar price range, good competitors, or better, than the Granite Peak?

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    bump

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    With a budget of $100 to be used for transportation on the road "between bus and train stops" I suggest you go this route. You will still have money to purchase a helmet and knee pads. You will also do all your fellow traveler's a huge favor by not making them wait as you chase after parts of your $100 bike that have fallen off and are rolling out the bus/train door. Desperate plee for help - Tomroorrow I go bike shopping-heallies.jpg
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    please answer the question, what kind of 26" bikes on ebay am I looking at for under $150 USD?

I see one with mag wheels and disk brakes, steel frame! Could someone please help me out?

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I'm really thinking of reverting back to the razor scooter idea, it seems so simple, what should I do?

What would you expect to provide more trouble free miles of riding!?

Also, what about the ebay bikes?

Out spokin'
    I would follow my mom's advice.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I stopped taking this thread seriously once I saw the word breaks (instead of brakes).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flat Pluto Society
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow4eva View Post
    I stopped taking this thread seriously once I saw the word breaks (instead of brakes).

Eye sea watt ewe didd, their.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow4eva View Post
    That was your troll trigger? For me it was the concept of a 6-foot 220 lb guy asking his mom for advice about a $100 Huffy.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuyuna View Post
    That was your troll trigger? For me it was the concept of a 6-foot 220 lb guy asking his mom for advice about a $100 Huffy.
    My first and most convincing clue, too.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Just buy $100 worth of high power LSD and use any ole set of handlebars. That ought to be enough for a years worth of trips. Or take it all at once and never come back. Be sure to wear your helmet!
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Just buy $100 worth of high power LSD and use any ole set of handlebars. That ought to be enough for a years worth of trips. Or take it all at once and never come back. Be sure to wear your helmet!
    Yeah and let's not forget to take a 'plee' before we pull up our diapers. Mom would want it that way.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    too bad that the OP's profiled isn't more fleshed out.

mtbr member
    The sun will come out tomroorrow

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    And bake his brain some more.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuyuna View Post
    Of course not, I was already having shits and giggles since the thread was created.

Flat Pluto Society
    Name:  aLU3xFH3_400x400.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  13.4 KB

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Razor scooter fo sho.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I'd split the difference between a scooter and a full suspension: Unicycle.

singletrack bound
    the OP needs to put one more zero on the budgeted amount then we could talk.

is hole in the Ground .... ?

mtbr member
    My wife worked with a big fella', about the OP's weight, who bought a Wal-Mart special. He was riding on the road and various bike pieces would go flying off with loud pings until it completely fell apart.

I'm all for people having fun on cheaper bikes, but there's a limit on just how cheap you can go and still have something that functions.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

Here, diagonally!
    Could be a legit post, as I did not hear anything about returning an inner tube that developed a leak shortly after heading down the trail. I got a rigid Murray mountain bike from Wal-Mart for $120 back in 1993 IIRC. Beat the heck out of it for several years. Broke the wheel in a crash but could not kill it. Maybe they are selling junk now, don't know.

In 2010 my friend spent $400+ for an Orange Crush MTB, and we razzed him about it. "Wow $400, hope you don't get beat on that expensive bike!" But we soon thereafter began leapfrogging each other. Because you know, we're rich and all...

Anyway, Cotharyus and Chazpat provided some good advice I'd say.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I agree with most of the advice posted already. Get a bike with no suspension. Call around to bike shops and tell them your budget, ask if they've got any beater bikes that would fit.

This is something else to consider and would be better than the razor scooter. https://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-Adult.../dp/B0183T0IRE

It's a scooter with larger wheels that will roll much more efficiently that the tiny razor wheels. It will be better over rough roads and better downhill. The major drawback with a scooter is they don't go uphill all that well.

Members who have read this thread: 289