DBInline a safe bet?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

DBInline a safe bet?

I am in the market for a new rear shock on my Santa Cruz Solo (aka 5010). I like the Cane Creek offerings but I have heard there has been a lot of issues with them as well recalls. A friend of mine had his break when he hucked to flat from a drop that wasn't that high. That being said, I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up if the issues have been addressed. Thinking of a Rock Shox Monarch Plus if not. Any opinions/suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Original run from Nov/ Dec 2014 had some production bugs. Those have been worked out, Cane Creek customer service is phenom so I would proceed without hesitation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pigdog View Post
    Original run from Nov/ Dec 2014 had some production bugs. Those have been worked out, Cane Creek customer service is phenom so I would proceed without hesitation.
    Thanks for info.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Full disclosure, mine has had some problems in the past. It is an incredible shock though--i never knew how well my bike could climb until I used it. CC has been excellent with the warranty on it and they said they have fixed the issues from the past.

If you're worried, the DBAir supposedly does not suffer from these issues.

The downside to either is going to be weight, i believe the Inline is +100g and the DBAir is +200g over the Monarch. Well worth it IMO.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    If you are a DIY type another downside is user serviceability. You can service monarch shocks yourself, but as far as I know, you cant do it with Cane Creek stuff

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    If you're worried, the DBAir supposedly does not suffer from these issues.

The downside to either is going to be weight, i believe the Inline is +100g and the DBAir is +200g over the Monarch. Well worth it IMO.
    Do note that the DBAir's higher oil volume will have its own benefits. If your Solo ends up on rough long descents or gets used for shuttle or lift access, you may be better served with the DBAir.

mtbr member
    I am still trying to decide. Eventually I will get a longer travel bike that I would like to bring my good parts to. So something that would also work with 140-150 mm of travel would be nice too. I almost got a Bronson but the Solo is wicked fast for when I do XC racing. It's kind of my do-it-all bike.

Rocks belong
    A CC Inline on a dual link bike is magic
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    A CC Inline on a dual link bike is magic
    What bikes are considered dual links?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    I am still trying to decide. Eventually I will get a longer travel bike that I would like to bring my good parts to. So something that would also work with 140-150 mm of travel would be nice too.
    The Solo uses a 200x51mm shock, while many 140mm-160mm bikes use a 200x57mm or 216x63mm shock. I think you should assume you won't be able to carry it over to a longer travel bike, or at least that you shouldn't limit your frame selection to a specific shock size. If you get an Inline or DBAir CS, though, the resale value should be pretty good if you want to sell it when you get a new bike.

I almost got a Bronson but the Solo is wicked fast for when I do XC racing. It's kind of my do-it-all bike.
    Then how important to you is an additional 100g or 200g when you're racing? That's judgment-free, only you know your own priorities.

What bikes are considered dual links?
    Broadly bikes that use two short links to connect to a solid one-piece swingarm. That'd be VPP, dw-link, Yeti's Switch and Switch Infinity, Niner's CVA, etc. All linkages that depend less on LSC damping for pedal efficiency, so the shock can be properly tuned for traction and handling.

mtbr member
    I like the reviews of the DBinline but was worried about some of the issues I have read a lot about. If they are resolved, I will probably get one.

mtbr member
    I like the reviews of the DBinline but was worried about some of the issues I have read a lot about. If they are resolved, I will probably get one.
    I was considering one. After reading this thread I changed my mind.

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspen...-945125-6.html
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I was considering one. After reading this thread I changed my mind.

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspen...-945125-6.html
    Considering how many Inlines are out there, I wouldn't change your mind based on an older 6-page thread (each page having only a few complaints on it). It is an excellent shock that got off to a rough start.

mtbr member
    Considering how many Inlines are out there, I wouldn't change your mind based on an older 6-page thread (each page having only a few complaints on it). It is an excellent shock that got off to a rough start.
    If it could be serviced locally I'd be more willing to take a chance. For a shock that has to be sent away for every service it better be pretty bombproof.

I'm likely going to get my Fox shock Avy'd. I've had great successful with Avy in the past and I can do the maintenance locally.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Dunno -- I keep hearing all the horror stories, but I'm really happy with mine on my bronson. I've had it since last October with no problems until just recently. I was getting a subtle clunk at the top of the stroke so I checked on the CC forums where the mods recommended contacting customer service. Sent them an email and got a response same day with a couple of simple questions, then a followup with an RMA and prepaid ship label.

Had my shock repaired and back in my hands in less than a week. Which is good 'cause swapping in my '13 float ctd reminded me how much better the inline is.
    Last edited by GeePhroh; 11-03-2015 at 09:37 AM.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    If it could be serviced locally I'd be more willing to take a chance. For a shock that has to be sent away for every service it better be pretty bombproof.

I'm likely going to get my Fox shock Avy'd. I've had great successful with Avy in the past and I can do the maintenance locally.
    Does Avy modify the Fox shock it in a way that allows it to be user serviceable?
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    OP, I'm in the same exact boat as you. I've got a 5010 and really want the Inline.

This is me 15 minutes ago: My finger hovered over the "submit order" button. $535.00 w/hardware was a lot to spend, but the shock sounded amazing, and supposedly all the initial production kinks had been worked out. At the last second, my more pragmatic side shoved aside my "f*ck it lets do it reliability be damned" side and I closed the web page. All indicators point towards this amazing shock still having some tragic engineering flaws. Despite all the rave reviews out there on the web, no reputable site has done a long term reliability review as of yet. This weighed heavily on my decision to purchase or not.

Quote Originally Posted by pigdog View Post
    Not sure this is accurate, the "old thread with only a few complaints" you mentioned has been updated recently by people with brand new shocks, presumably manufactured recently.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Zilcho View Post
    If you are a DIY type another downside is user serviceability. You can service monarch shocks yourself, but as far as I know, you cant do it with Cane Creek stuff
    I really want to be able to perform my own service. And this is a major drawback. The shock sounds amazing, but the added expense of service (~$180) and the still recurring reliability issues has me leaning away from the Inline toward a Monarch Plus.

There are 7-10 posts made within the last month, (possibly more, I didn't go back any further) all referencing issues.

A year and a half is a reeeeeeeaaaaaaallllllyyyyy long rough start.

I really want to buy this shock, I believe what reviewers and countless riders have to say about it's next level performance. But the more pragmatic, more self-sufficient part of me just can't get down with a shock that I can't rely on.

All that being said, how does the DB Air CS compare? I know it's heavier, and I know I'd still have to pay to have it serviced. But is it's performance and reliability so much greater than the DB Inline as to warrant both the extra weight, retail cost and the commitment to spending $180/year for service?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Master Slater; 11-05-2015 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Bad splelingg

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Slater View Post
    I really want to buy this shock
    Then get over it, buy a used one for $300 and call it a day.

Mine worked perfect, without issue for nearly a year, purchased new. Original run of shocks. When it was time for a rebuild due to use I contacted them and explained some of what I was experiencing with fluid noise. They emailed and said it was eligible for a warranty rebuild. They sent a call tag, I sent it back, they turned it around in under 24 hrs and it was back on my doorstep today. Cane Creek will continue to get my business. The shock works insane, worked insane prior to what was really probably a maintenance rebuild, and I'm confident it will continue to work as advertised.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I have 2015 Bronson. Same as you, did hella research and landed in the inline or the air. I decided to go with the inline because with the air you can't mount a water bottle. That's huge as on most of my rides I don't wear a pack. Overall the inline has great reviews and I've heard nothing but good word about CC's customer service. My LBS also is giving me a killer deal on one of their used inlines; just waiting on it to get back from being serviced. Side note, they offered me a killer deal on a refurbished air too so $ was not really a factor. Also, my LBS owner rolls an inline on his intense for what it's worth. Can't wait to get it mounted!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Been running on my 200x57 Inline for nearly 18mo or so. I had CC do the annual service this past summer for $80. It was running fine, just was time to do it for maintenance sake. Been solid since. Wouldn't do anything different if I could. Cane Creek is quick on their service, I think I was out of commission for a week including shipping it back and forth.

Also of note I have ridden the shiza out of this thing, 8' hux to harsh bottom out flat, tons of high speed long descents, lots of jumping, it's been flawless.

As to your shock size issue, it's a big gamble to buy a shock now anticipating a new frame later. Unless you know when and what frame you plan to buy, I'd just roll with the dims for your 5010 and see what comes later. You probably won't be able to use it though, like mentioned earlier, 200x57 and 216x63 are far more common sizes on 140mm+ endurbro cyclebikes.

Good luck.