Thread: Crank length

mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Crank length

I just got a 2016 Specialized Camber and am now experiencing knee pain. Thinking I want to try 170 crank length. How do I go about shopping for cranks that fit my bike?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by abaughman View Post
    I just got a 2016 Specialized Camber and am now experiencing knee pain. Thinking I want to try 170 crank length. How do I go about shopping for cranks that fit my bike?

Thanks
    That's not the issue. I don't even know for sure if you have 175mm cranks right now, but let's assume so, and believe me that 5mm shorter cranks will do nothing.

Is this your first bike or first bike in some years? What size is your bike and what's your inseam?

Get someone to take pics or video of you riding the bike and post it. We'll be able to see many important details of your pedaling mechanics and can probably solve it.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I went from a Specialized Hard Rock that was a 19, to the Large specialized Camber. The pain started when I switched bikes. I have had it about 3 weeks. My inseam is 32. I am using the same seat, it had a dropped post so I have experimented with heights. Been ridding about 6 months. Usually do 5-6 miles but have done up to 9.

mtbr member
    I went from a Specialized Hard Rock that was a 19, to the Large specialized Camber. The pain started when I switched bikes. I have had it about 3 weeks. My inseam is 32. I am using the same seat, it had a dropped post so I have experimented with heights. Been ridding about 6 months. Usually do 5-6 miles but have done up to 9.
    There is a pretty known range of how high your saddle should be. You should have your knees slightly bent when fully extended, but less than 20%. You should not be so high that your leg is straight or that you seesaw left and right on the top of the saddle. Set the post at that height with the dropper fully extended.

Some people like to drop the saddle a small amount for rough trails with a lot of pedaling in the saddle. Typically an inch or less.

If you are riding in the saddle and it's too low that will cause knee pain quickly. It's worsened by pedaling with low cadence / high effort.

Beyond that it could be your saddle position relative to the cranks. If you are too far forward it could hurt your knees. But honestly you're not riding that far. Are you riding the same things that you rode on the old bike?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Check seat height, angle on cleats and how far out on the pedal you have your foot.

2018 Ibis Ripmo
    2016 Transition TransAM 275

WillWorkForTrail
    Here's a thought - spend the money you would have spent on cranks getting a professional fit on that bike. It's doubtful that different cranks will help, and I pretty much guarantee that a professional fit will help more than just your knee pain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I have a hitch rack for my car on the way so I can transport my bike. To get anywhere that could do a fit I am looking at two hours driving one way and three the other direction I live kinda remote. We have a small mom and pop bike shop here but he donít think anything is wrong.

I have clipless peddles, increased my cadence thinking it would help increased my endurance and slowed me down but didnít really help with the knees. Same trail as before.

I will try to get one of my kids to take a video before school if not after school.

mtbr member
    The pain started when I switched bikes.

The problem is most likely due to the seat height and/or seat position. Do you still have your old bike? I always take careful measurements of my old setup and transfer it to the new one to avoid any issues.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I donít have my old bike, I just moved my seat back to middle realized it was all the way forward. I have some video clips of each way do I have to up load them somewhere and post links? They could be better had one of my teenagers try to take them before school.

mtbr member
    The easiest way is to put them on YouTube and link here. Then after you sort out the issue, it's up to you whether you keep it on YouTube, make it private, or remove it.

But if you just moved your seat rearward, I would give it some time and see if that helps. If you're riding more that's great, but if your knee says let's take a rest day or an easy ride, listen to it.

always licking the glass

Thanks
    Go get a professional fit. It could be the cranks, it could be something else. But get a second opinion of seeing someone on the bike first before investing in cranks. It depends on a lot of factors but we canít diagnose it here.

Things it could be:
    If youíre using clipless pedals, check the clear alignment.
    Seat height is mentioned many times.
    Could also be fore/aft and angle of the saddle.
    It could be tight IT bands, pulling your knee cap funny.

My arch pain and hip pain went away with a combo of seat height and shorter cranks. But your situation may be different.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    Hadley hubs for sale

mtbr member
    Did you use clipless on the old bike, and if so, are you using the same pedals and shoes?