Concerns about Triple Crank to Double conversion- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2020

New question here. Concerns about Triple Crank to Double conversion

Hello there!

Last year I got a used Cube Attention SL 2016 and I am having a blast with it. However, being a former road cyclist the triple crank really bothers me some time, so I want to convert it to a double 36/24 (or maybe a 38/24). I am going to wait for a m4100 crank and get an extra 24T chainring to pair it nicely with my rear 11-36 cassette. (It still gives me all the range I am using, so profit?)
    Anyway, my concern is my front deraileur (FD-M611). It is rated for triple setup max 42T (my current is 40-30-22), but everyone says it is gonna be fine. However, after some inspecting I noticed that my FD has only 6mm of clearance from the chainstay tube!
    So, if I get the 36T crankset, will I need to lower the FD that much so it might probably rub with the chainstay tube?
    The best bet would be to get a proper FD, but that would cost me around 25eur and cause some more pain in the butt (I am planning to install it on my own and not rely on the LBS). Maybe should I consider a 38T crank?

This page provides all the info about the bike, and some very accurate pictures of the front drivetrain

https://www.cube.eu/en/2016/mtb-hard...flashred-2016/

Your help will be very much appreciated. Thanks

mtbr member
    A 3x FD will not work with a 2x crankset and vice versa. The offset is different, and it will not shift correctly. I tried this and it failed miserably.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Keep the triple. It's better than a double because you can ride most everything using a 32t center gear. A double always requires a front shift when climbing under power. And then you have to shift back up again. Every single time. Using the center ring of a triple is basically the same as a 1x.
    So if you want to change go to 1x 11sp.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    TBH I really dislike the 1x drivetrain. It would cost me a lot of $$$ to fully convert it in order to get all the range i need. I am a heavy guy, and the mountains I ride have some very steep climbs, so I am gonna need a big cassette.
    I also think that big cassettes look absolutely horrible and having a shifter only on one side really messes up with my OCD.
    I would rather keep the triple that using 1x

mtbr member
    All you need to do is remove the 40t chainring... and thats it actually. Done. 2x conversion.

If you want to change the 30 middle ring, just change it. You dont need to change the derailleur. If you change the middle chain ring larger, you need to move it *up*, not down. You can crank in the high limit screw to prevent overshifting into the now missing gear. Sometimes 3x shifters have a setting on them to change to 2x, blocking the 3rd shift.

You're about 2 dollars in bolts away from a 2x conversion, no need to make it more complicated. Remove the 44t, install the shorter bolts, and you're done. This was the most common conversion back in the day before dedicated 2x cranks came out. Its literally identical, except you dont have to waste a bunch of money with 2x specific stuff when you already have something that works.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    I hate to tell you that, but just removing my 40T gives zero advantage, and it will actually make my bike inferior. I need to commute 7km before I reach the mountains (7 more to return home), so I can really use a big cog.
    I could swap the 22 to a 24, but I cannot find an adequate large middle cog to keep a good range with only 2 cogs. Keep in mind that my crank has 96mm BCD and I literally have no other teeth options, which sucks butt

mtbr member
    https://www.nashbar.com/shimano-xt-m...YaArBkEALw_wcB

Shimanos are slightly different 96t rings, but you still have options. All though a 2x deore crank isnt that much more expensive. 2x front derailleurs are nearly free these days, an xt might run you 5 bucks. If I have a spare in my parts thing, id gladly give it to you for free (might have an slx kicking around).

People generally ditch the big ring to gain clearance over logs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    The chainring in the link is a new spider-arm tech (96/64). My crank uses the classic symmetrical 4 arm type.
    Anyway, a Deore 4100 crankset is about 50eur and a Down Swing High Clamp Deore front deraileur is about 25e. Maybe I can watch out for some salvage discount. I am not gonna buy it soon anyway.
    Another question. If I get a 9 or 11 speed front deraileur, will it work with my 10speed Deore tranny? I can find some pretty good deals on these