Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 101 to 160 of 160

Thread: Clipping in

  1. #101
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    I love onions. My wife hates onions. Which one of us is is "right"?
    You are; obviously.

  2. #102
    mtbr member
    Reputation: plummet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    366
    All bicycle racing in the world excluding trick related spider monkey stuff is owned by clipless pedals.

    Want to go faster? clipless pedals are the way. Want to do tricks, then flats.
    Anything in between thats not involving winning racing to loop de loop flats or clipless is optional.

  3. #103
    ZEN RIDER!
    Reputation: Mt.Biker E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    924
    Quote Originally Posted by plummet View Post
    All bicycle racing in the world excluding trick related spider monkey stuff is owned by clipless pedals.

    Want to go faster? clipless pedals are the way. Want to do tricks, then flats.
    Anything in between thats not involving winning racing to loop de loop flats or clipless is optional.
    Hmmm someone needs to tell this to Sam Hill
    Life in every breath

  4. #104
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by Mt.Biker E View Post
    Hmmm someone needs to tell this to Sam Hill
    I am not buying that just because most fast cyclists run clipless that it is truly faster. I would put money on them still being just as fast after they get used to flats. Like you said, Sam Hill is a prime example of that.

  5. #105
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    I love onions. My wife hates onions. Which one of us is is "right"?
    That depends. Is there a good chance she will read this??? LOL

  6. #106
    mtbr member
    Reputation: plummet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by rynomx785 View Post
    I am not buying that just because most fast cyclists run clipless that it is truly faster. I would put money on them still being just as fast after they get used to flats. Like you said, Sam Hill is a prime example of that.
    So there is one anomaly and you choose to believe that is the better way? Not very scientific of you.

    What if Sam Hill had learned to ride clips effectively? How much faster would he be?

  7. #107
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by plummet View Post
    So there is one anomaly and you choose to believe that is the better way? Not very scientific of you.

    What if Sam Hill had learned to ride clips effectively? How much faster would he be?
    That same line of thought could be turned around and used on you too. What if the other pros had learned to ride flats effectively? How much faster would they be?

    Let's leave science out of it seeing as there hasn't been any science done with the pros in regards to clipless/flats and what is truly faster. You are the one making the assumption that clipless is faster. I merely pointed out that is widely held belief with no factual data backing it up.

  8. #108
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    204
    I put my money on the more talented rider being faster than the less talented rider regardless of which kind of pedals you put him or her on. That was my main point and I had no intention of getting in a clipless vs flats debate because that is like arguing if blue or red is better.

  9. #109
    mtbr member
    Reputation: s0ckeyeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,039
    Regardless, using one pedal type or the other doesn't mean a person is fast or good.

  10. #110
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    Regardless, using one pedal type or the other doesn't mean a person is fast or good.
    Exactly. I ride flats but I can certainly see circumstances where clips would be helpful but nothing is absolute so on the flip side of that same coin, there are areas that I think flats are more effective too.

  11. #111
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    52
    I think whichever type of pedal gives you more confidence is going to make you faster. For me, thatís clipless platforms (Mallets). For others, itís flats.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #112
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    17
    The XC race subculture runs deep in my area and I get no shortage of questions about my choice to run flats. If you ride to be fast youíll probably end up clipless. If you ride to have fun, ffs, flats.
    15 nomad c
    16 skookum

  13. #113
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    387
    Good pros and cons here, and I've been thinking more on this as my teenage daughters start riding faster and tougher terrain.

    I agree with all that says both are great, both have pros and cons, I do think speed is in favor of clips, while playfulness is in favor of flats (for those that take the time to learn how to ride them well and don't sacrifice the ability to move the bike around.

    2 things I'd like to add that I haven't heard yet,

    I think the idea of the pain/crash side is overplayed on cleats. Yes, we all get much better and instinctive, and, most of the stupid clip falls come at low speed trying to get out.
    You don't try to get out going 15 to 20 down rock steps, or going over a jump at full speed.

    on the flat side, no worries going slow, but slipping a pedal in those rock gardens or jumps hurts a hell of lot more then falling over going 2mph in a trialsy section imo.

    I also ride both, and was riding spd more this summer then the last few years, as I feel faster and ride uphill tech better, but I broke two sets of xtr pedals in a month. so, I tried Crank brothers candy. Felt less accurate getting out, until i got the new 10degree cleat (easy release) they just created. It's being marketed for those early to clipless, but I see no downside to them yet after 20plus years riding spd's. still 6degree float, 10 degree release, (vs 12 for shimano and 15 for standard CB) more solid hold then M cleats from shimano, or even regular cleats set really low, but also easier out. So, that's where I am now, but still love the challenge of making my techy climbs in flats.
    cheers!

  14. #114
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    793
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Pitted View Post
    The XC race subculture runs deep in my area and I get no shortage of questions about my choice to run flats. If you ride to be fast youíll probably end up clipless. If you ride to have fun, ffs, flats.
    If you havenít developed the muscle memory to unclip instantly youíre likely terrified of clipless, thatís pretty much all there is to it.

  15. #115
    Snow Dog
    Reputation: sXeXBMXer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    2,027
    Quote Originally Posted by Back2MTB View Post
    If you havenít developed the muscle memory to unclip instantly youíre likely terrified of clipless, thatís pretty much all there is to it.
    If you havenít developed the muscle memory to stay on the pedals and avoid pedal strikes, youíre likely terrified of flats, thatís pretty much all there is to it.

    ....now both camps are covered....
    "It's about having pointless fun in the woods...." - Walt
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro
    LET IT SNOW!!!

  16. #116
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    793
    Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    If you havenít developed the muscle memory to stay on the pedals and avoid pedal strikes, youíre likely terrified of flats, thatís pretty much all there is to it.

    ....now both camps are covered....
    When I got back into MTB I rode flats for 1.5yrs, ultimately got comfortable in the rough and moved back to clipless. All around flats are not faster,not even a reasonable argument but weíre talking religion here....please tell me why flats make you Ďfasterí, honestly? Cooler, more safe feeling? OK. Faster/more efficient? No.

  17. #117
    Snow Dog
    Reputation: sXeXBMXer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    2,027
    Quote Originally Posted by Back2MTB View Post
    When I got back into MTB I rode flats for 1.5yrs, ultimately got comfortable in the rough and moved back to clipless. All around flats are not faster,not even a reasonable argument but weíre talking religion here....please tell me why flats make you Ďfasterí, honestly? Cooler, more safe feeling? OK. Faster/more efficient? No.
    flats don't make me faster. I don't race so speed is never part of my riding world. I mean, I like gaining speed on parts of the trails I ride, but I never log speed and don't use it as a gauge of a good ride. I just ride what I grew up on, which is flats on BMX...it is how I communicate with the bike and terrain

    it is funny how it takes on a religious tone with some...which I don't understand. I guess my "adjustment" of your quote was a statement of " does it all really matter?" in a way. There is nothing that will convince me that clipless will be for me, just like I won't convince a clipless guy that flats are better for him
    "It's about having pointless fun in the woods...." - Walt
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro
    LET IT SNOW!!!

  18. #118
    mtbr member
    Reputation: plummet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by rynomx785 View Post
    Let's leave science out of it seeing as there hasn't been any science done with the pros in regards to clipless/flats and what is truly faster. You are the one making the assumption that clipless is faster. I merely pointed out that is widely held belief with no factual data backing it up.
    I'm sure there is plenty of science done on the subject by many sporting bodies related to cycling. The evidence is overwhelming. All Bicycle racings is dominated by clipless predals. ALL RACING. XC, Enduro, DH, 24hr, Road cycling, track cycling, bmx and the list goes on..........


    There is only one reason for that. Clipless is faster.
    Sure you will get your anomalies of guys who roost of flats. But they are the exception to the rule.


    Now if you are not racing at the ultra top end it matters not if clipless is faster or not. Ride what you enjoy. I was on flats tonight smashing some gnarly track on the Rig. Time before that it was flats again im the slipper wet rooty goodness. For the month Prior it was clipless for more pedally rides.

  19. #119
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by plummet View Post
    I'm sure there is plenty of science done on the subject by many sporting bodies related to cycling. The evidence is overwhelming. All Bicycle racings is dominated by clipless predals. ALL RACING. XC, Enduro, DH, 24hr, Road cycling, track cycling, bmx and the list goes on..........


    There is only one reason for that. Clipless is faster.
    Sure you will get your anomalies of guys who roost of flats. But they are the exception to the rule.


    Now if you are not racing at the ultra top end it matters not if clipless is faster or not. Ride what you enjoy. I was on flats tonight smashing some gnarly track on the Rig. Time before that it was flats again im the slipper wet rooty goodness. For the month Prior it was clipless for more pedally rides.
    Like I said, I can certainly admit there are areas that I personally feel like clipless would help me and I feel like there are areas it wouldn't. If I actually learned clipless and got used to it that is......

    GMBN has done a couple timed comparison videos on the this subject and in both videos, flats were marginally faster for two different presenters. Neil Donoghue even chose flats over clipless for his return to racing at the EWS finale in Italy. I don't think that means that Flats are faster across the board..... I think it definitely shoots some holes in bicycle industry mantra that you have to be clipped in if you want to be a fast rider.

    Video is a bit long but very pertaining to the debate.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWulM6rJpJY

  20. #120
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AllMountin''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,016
    Enduro is dominated by Sam Hill, on flat pedals. Fastest man in the world. Not because of. Not in spite of.

    I happen to ride flats. I'm locally fastest on a specific type of handling oriented xc trail. This makes me nothing special, and I'd be just as fast on clips, but hundreds on clipless pedals can't get the job done. Cornering too weak. I don't attribute much speed to pedal choice on this type of trail, but I'll say that flats have allowed me to push my cornering limits further and faster, since I'm less concerned about hitting the ground after mucking up a turn at mach chicken.

    Did three years on clipless. Pros and cons. I recently broke a flat and put the clips on for a ride. I actually unclipped when cornering hard. Flipped the hips and rotated the outer foot past the angle where the pedals release.

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

  21. #121
    Thinking about riding.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,457
    Quote Originally Posted by plummet View Post
    I'm sure there is plenty of science done on the subject by many sporting bodies related to cycling. The evidence is overwhelming. All Bicycle racings is dominated by clipless predals. ALL RACING. XC, Enduro, DH, 24hr, Road cycling, track cycling, bmx and the list goes on..........
    Ice cream also causes drowning... As ice cream consumption goes up each year, so do drownings.

    For someone who throws around the word 'science' as much as you do, you sure don't seem to know what it means.

  22. #122
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EatsDirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    886
    GMBN should do studies on ice cream.

  23. #123
    mtbr member
    Reputation: s0ckeyeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,039
    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post
    GMBN should do studies on ice cream.
    They tried, but both subjects ended up drowning.

  24. #124
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post
    GMBN should do studies on ice cream.
    There was an episode on cheese grips. LOL

  25. #125
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cookieMonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    547
    ^^^I concur. For me, I can ride either one and be fast. It isn't much of a factor, to be honest.

    I timed a climb last year on my hardtail and ended up being faster on platforms.

    I think it comes down to the particular trail and its conditions.

    I've been using Strava lately on the same local trail and have really analyzed my performance on the descent. I am at the point where I can't beat my PR and am looking for ways to do it. I'm willing to try clipping in just to see, but I'm not anticipating any improvement. Maybe there are a few places I'll get 1-2 more pedal strokes in because of the added clearance. But for the most part, I'm pedaling all the time and not having any trouble with staying on my platforms. I hold KOM on one of the sections of the DH, and I was on platforms when I did it.

    On the other hand, I lost my balance on a technical climb the other day (clipped in) and couldn't get out of my pedal on the downhill side fast enough, and ended up toppling down the hillside. I've been riding clips for 20+ years. If it hasn't happened to you, it will. It never happens with platforms. What you said about clipping out unexpectedly/in corners is also right on the money. I'm more concerned with that than "being able" to get out. Unclipping at Mach 3 unexpectedly can be disastrous in the right setting. Ultimately, I just can't trust them for really high consequence conditions and ultra aggressive riding.

  26. #126
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    331
    I ride both, but I always find it funny when I ask clipless riders to bunnyhop on flats. And when most of them can't, I tell them their skills need some work. Flats will teach you real quick about how to keep your weight in the pedals. This will keep your feet from blowing off, and just show you how to corner better, ride steeps better, jump better, pump better, and bunnyhop properly. NOt that pull up with your clipped in feet bullshits bunnyhop. The real deal! So learn on flats, learn that bunnyhop, then if you think you need clippy shoes go for it!

  27. #127
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,759
    Quote Originally Posted by AllMountin' View Post
    Enduro is dominated by Sam Hill, on flat pedals. Fastest man in the world. Not because of. Not in spite of.

    I happen to ride flats. I'm locally fastest on a specific type of handling oriented xc trail. This makes me nothing special, and I'd be just as fast on clips, but hundreds on clipless pedals can't get the job done. Cornering too weak. I don't attribute much speed to pedal choice on this type of trail, but I'll say that flats have allowed me to push my cornering limits further and faster, since I'm less concerned about hitting the ground after mucking up a turn at mach chicken.

    Did three years on clipless. Pros and cons. I recently broke a flat and put the clips on for a ride. I actually unclipped when cornering hard. Flipped the hips and rotated the outer foot past the angle where the pedals release.

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    I find i turn better on flats, i can push more with a rotation of the foot that would unclip spd clippless. Im faster over all though with a lot of climbing and straights with clipless. Also better in chunky downhill clipless. If you are comfortable with both you can use them as a tool.

  28. #128
    Stand-up philosopher
    Reputation: drwx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    648
    I ride clipped on my left foot and flats on my right. Best of both worlds. Prove me wrong.

    Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    --
    stephen


    no one can appreciate the poor misunderstood

  29. #129
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by drwx View Post
    I ride clipped on my left foot and flats on my right. Best of both worlds. Prove me wrong.

    Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Your left foot pedal strokes are applying way more power and I am sure your right shin is hammered from your pedal hitting it. LOL

  30. #130
    mtbr member
    Reputation: s0ckeyeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,039
    Quote Originally Posted by rynomx785 View Post
    Your left foot pedal strokes are applying way more power and I am sure your right shin is hammered from your pedal hitting it. LOL
    Plus, he can only bunny hop on one side.

  31. #131
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    Plus, he can only bunny hop on one side.
    Tabletop hop?

  32. #132
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sturge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    802
    Clipped in since 90's...ride a FS on New England singletrack. I switch to flats when it's below 30 deg so I can wear warm boots. Totally weird and I feel like a clutz for the first few rides. Technique and experience is a big factor with either. When things get dicey I don't even think about it when clipped in, it just feels natural after all these years. Have buddies who prefer flats...all good. Ride what you like.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

  33. #133
    Stand-up philosopher
    Reputation: drwx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    648
    Quote Originally Posted by rynomx785 View Post
    Your left foot pedal strokes are applying way more power and I am sure your right shin is hammered from your pedal hitting it. LOL
    Left leg is non dominant leg and weaker. It balances out.

    Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    --
    stephen


    no one can appreciate the poor misunderstood

  34. #134
    Stand-up philosopher
    Reputation: drwx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    648
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    Plus, he can only bunny hop on one side.
    Right leg does cool tricks while left holds the bike in the air.

    Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    --
    stephen


    no one can appreciate the poor misunderstood

  35. #135
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,977

    Riding exclusively on flats this year

    Had been riding clipless 90% of the time in the last 25 years. This year switched from a 29er to a smaller bike to learn to do tricks again.

    I find modern, cheap sub $50 flats to be much better than they were in the past and add greatly to the experience.

  36. #136
    Thinking about riding.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,457
    Quote Originally Posted by rynomx785 View Post
    Your left foot pedal strokes are applying way more power and I am sure your right shin is hammered from your pedal hitting it. LOL
    His left foot crashes a lot from not being able to unclip too.

  37. #137
    Snow Dog
    Reputation: sXeXBMXer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    2,027
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post
    His left foot crashes a lot from not being able to unclip too.
    but it crashes a lot faster....
    "It's about having pointless fun in the woods...." - Walt
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro
    LET IT SNOW!!!

  38. #138
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuyuna View Post
    For me, the value of clipless MTB isn't worth the risk. I vote no. A pair of 5-10's and some aggressive pins on flats meets my needs without imposing significant risk to me. OTOH, I ride only SPDs on my road and gravel bikes.
    for me at least, the risks associated w/ mountain biking rarely have much to do with my choice of pedals/shoes.
    90+% of my riding is done on SPDs.
    The other 10% is typically when it's below 25 degrees and the warmer shoes I can wear with flat pedals keep trail riding fun.

  39. #139
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post
    His left foot crashes a lot from not being able to unclip too.
    LOL Man, this thread has taken a turn for the better!

  40. #140
    Stand-up philosopher
    Reputation: drwx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    648
    Quote Originally Posted by rynomx785 View Post
    LOL Man, this thread has taken a turn for the better!
    This is true. I only fall to the left.

    Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    --
    stephen


    no one can appreciate the poor misunderstood

  41. #141
    Stand-up philosopher
    Reputation: drwx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    648
    Quote Originally Posted by rynomx785 View Post
    Your left foot pedal strokes are applying way more power and I am sure your right shin is hammered from your pedal hitting it. LOL
    Also true. This left a sweet scar.



    Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    --
    stephen


    no one can appreciate the poor misunderstood

  42. #142
    mtbr member
    Reputation: plummet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    366
    I guess this debate will never end.

    There's 3 camps.

    I use flats and thats the best.
    i use spds and they are better
    i use both and use what the best suits.

    Take your pick on what camp you want to fit.

  43. #143
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    355
    I use clipless.
    This idea that they are dangerous or hard to get out of isn't accurate for me. If I start to crash, my heels kick out automatically without thinking. It becomes habit very quickly, since you do it every time you stop.

  44. #144
    Stand-up philosopher
    Reputation: drwx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    648
    This... And can be said for every other bike related debate too. Tubes vs tubeless, sram vs Shimano, 26 vs 27.5 vs 29, trail dogs vs trail cats
    Quote Originally Posted by plummet View Post
    I guess this debate will never end.

    There's 3 camps.

    I use flats and thats the best.
    i use spds and they are better
    i use both and use what the best suits.

    Take your pick on what camp you want to fit.
    Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    --
    stephen


    no one can appreciate the poor misunderstood

  45. #145
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by plummet View Post
    I guess this debate will never end.

    There's 3 camps.

    I use flats and thats the best.
    i use spds and they are better
    i use both and use what the best suits.

    Take your pick on what camp you want to fit.
    I ride flats but I think clipless can be advantageous in certain circumstances. The only reason I don't learn is because I am too cheap to buy them and too lazy to learn them.

    I'll be camped over here in campground 4 if anyone else cares to join. LOL

  46. #146
    Snow Dog
    Reputation: sXeXBMXer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    2,027
    Quote Originally Posted by rynomx785 View Post
    I ride flats but I think clipless can be advantageous in certain circumstances. The only reason I don't learn is because I am too cheap to buy them and too lazy to learn them.

    I'll be camped over here in campground 4 if anyone else cares to join. LOL
    ...pretty much my thoughts too...I will join you in camp. I have a hammock, and a Trianga stove as well...so we are eating for sure
    "It's about having pointless fun in the woods...." - Walt
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro
    LET IT SNOW!!!

  47. #147
    bike pamper-er
    Reputation: cakeba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    61
    I've ridden flats and clipped in and there's a lot of peace of mind when riding flats, but when it comes down to it clipless gives me more control. I can drop my heels and know my feet are in the exact place on the pedal they need to be and not worry about slipping off the pedal and getting shinned. It also helps with doing little maneuvers like switching lines quickly, since you can literally pull the back end of the bike where you want it to go. You can still do sideways bunnyhops on flats and what I do could be considered cheating since it's like a micro bunny hop and you shouldn't be pulling on your cleats to do any kind of hops, but it is faster and easier. Of course then there's the benefit of pedaling performance, which is massively enhanced by going clipless. But for me, I'd ride clipless over flats on any descent just because of the better control.
    Shorter seat tubes, taller droppers.
    Shorter chainstays, taller stacks.
    Shorter stems, taller BB's.

  48. #148
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,898
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    When I first started getting into mountain biking and was learning clipless I hit my shins a lot. Even without pins any pedal can still really hurt! But after 10 years I must have slowly subconsciously learned how to move and stand in ways that avoid it because it stopped happening. Now I've been on flats for 2018 and haven't hit my shins once (so far)

    Having spent 10 years on clipless and now most of a year on flats I have come to these conclusions: You can have a lot of fun mountain biking on either type. You can be about as safe with either type if you take enough time to practice and practice and work through issues with your shoes and/or pedals. Both have their strengths and weakness but are valid choices for almost any type of mountain biking. In the end flats and clipless aren't that different.
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    Good thoughts. They shouldn't be that different, but they often are ridden differently. I prefer flats at the moment, but if I were to go back to clipless, I know for a fact I'd be able to go harder, faster, and safer than if I had stuck with clipless the whole time.
    I'm with these two ^

    This is my 8th season on a mountain bike, all on clipless. Someone I ride with went flats this year and it's made me realize the bad habits I've developed on SPuDs. Like others have said, I've reached the point of familiarity that staying ON the bike is my biggest concern, not getting off. I could hurdle the bars during an endo and land on my feet by season #2. I've never looped out and not landed on my feet. I repeatedly come close to eating it however when my foot comes unclipped when I'm not wanting it too. Usually when doing a drop/jump. Most likely due to extremely poor form from never leaning technique on flats.

    I've decided to ride only flats the rest of the season and come up the learning curve. No idea what I'll settle on when done, but I think the summation of either works just fine once you've learned is correct. I know for me the biggest deciding factor is my mental state. If I'm thinking "I've got this", I probably will. Opposite is even more true. Ride whatever you're comfortable on, but I would give both a fair shake before deciding.

  49. #149
    mtbr member
    Reputation: plummet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    366
    Interesting test today. Used flats at the local bike trails that i usualy use spd's on. I've got a bunch of strava'd times for ups and downs on spd's.

    So what was the result?

    Clips are faster up. There is no doubt. I fatigued sooner using flats and felt more of a thigh workout rather than a full leg workout spd's give.

    On the down is where it became interesting. I couldnt touch my clipped in strava time on the pedally jump track down even though i felt faster.

    On the slalom type track that didnt need pedalling i equaled my spd time.

    On the rutty dh track that might require a quick dab here and there i kicked my spd'd arse.



    So my conclusions are:-


    Want to pedal? spd's

    Pedally downs? spd's

    Non pedally downs, either spd or flats


    Tech downs that require possible dabs, flats.

  50. #150
    mtbr member
    Reputation: In2falling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    442
    Quote Originally Posted by plummet View Post
    Interesting test today. Used flats at the local bike trails that i usualy use spd's on. I've got a bunch of strava'd times for ups and downs on spd's.

    So what was the result?

    Clips are faster up. There is no doubt. I fatigued sooner using flats and felt more of a thigh workout rather than a full leg workout spd's give.

    On the down is where it became interesting. I couldnt touch my clipped in strava time on the pedally jump track down even though i felt faster.

    On the slalom type track that didnt need pedalling i equaled my spd time.

    On the rutty dh track that might require a quick dab here and there i kicked my spd'd arse.



    So my conclusions are:-


    Want to pedal? spd's

    Pedally downs? spd's

    Non pedally downs, either spd or flats


    Tech downs that require possible dabs, flats.
    Ok I am fully convinced now! Switching to clipless! :-) LOL

  51. #151
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fredcook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by plummet View Post
    Interesting test today. Used flats at the local bike trails that i usualy use spd's on. I've got a bunch of strava'd times for ups and downs on spd's.

    So what was the result?

    Clips are faster up. There is no doubt. I fatigued sooner using flats and felt more of a thigh workout rather than a full leg workout spd's give.

    On the down is where it became interesting. I couldnt touch my clipped in strava time on the pedally jump track down even though i felt faster.

    On the slalom type track that didnt need pedalling i equaled my spd time.

    On the rutty dh track that might require a quick dab here and there i kicked my spd'd arse.



    So my conclusions are:-


    Want to pedal? spd's

    Pedally downs? spd's

    Non pedally downs, either spd or flats


    Tech downs that require possible dabs, flats.
    You hit the nail on the head. No, not talking specifically about which pedal to use. But talking about just trying out the options to see what works best for you.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

  52. #152
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    22
    Yesterday, I went for my first ride on clipless pedals. I did 20 miles on the road on my hardtail after practicing clipping in and out in my garage. I had a blast and can see where the benefits of clipless pedals lie. I hopped a few curbs and jumped a few speed bumps so I can also see where I will need to make an effort to maintain good form. As of now I am going to put a lot of time and effort into making clippless like second nature but I fully plan to switch between clips and flats in the long run to keep the skills sharp and get the most out my riding.

  53. #153
    One ring to mash them all
    Reputation: the one ring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,045
    N=1:

    I use the multi-release cleats. I don't recall ever (a) not being able to unclip when trying to, or (b) unclipping when not trying to (except once in a crash where the bike was automagically thrown clear of where I landed).

    I wear an older version of these which have adequate tread for HAB:

    https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/Sho.../p/15101803027
    "One always measures friendships by how they show up in bad weather."
    ó Winston Churchill

  54. #154
    Never trust a fart
    Reputation: frdfandc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,140
    I always clip in. I feel more in control, especially in the rough stuff.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  55. #155
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bridgestone14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,011
    I ride clipped in. It is how I learned. Good Flats are shoes are much better then they used to be, but I still feel a lot more secure in clips. I find I still get bounced off my pedals on flats occasionally, so I stick with the clips. For what its worth I can't remember the last time I was stuck in my clips during a crash.
    Looking for a Medium Scott Scale frame, preferably a 2012 in 26.

  56. #156
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,733
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatGuyontheTrail View Post
    Been clipped in on every ride since August of 1994. Started on Shimano and use Crankbrothers Egg Beaters and Enduros for everything now.
    SPD didn't come out in 1994 it was in 1990 and I've been riding them since that time..(91 for me) For me it's just not the same experience with out them, even in the parks I clip in...

  57. #157
    mtbr member
    Reputation: s0ckeyeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,039
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED View Post
    SPD didn't come out in 1994 it was in 1990 and I've been riding them since that time..(91 for me) For me it's just not the same experience with out them, even in the parks I clip in...
    Pretty sure he mentioned that date since that was when he started on clipless, not the date SPD pedals came out.

  58. #158
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JoePAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,639
    Quote Originally Posted by plummet View Post
    Interesting test today. Used flats at the local bike trails that i usualy use spd's on. I've got a bunch of strava'd times for ups and downs on spd's.



    So my conclusions are:-


    Want to pedal? spd's

    Pedally downs? spd's

    Non pedally downs, either spd or flats


    Tech downs that require possible dabs, flats.
    This genernally makes sense and fits in the world of cycling all over. Anytime you need to get max power either for short durations or long distances clipless and proper shoes are superior. The power transfer from legs to the wheels is just better all around. No pro road cycles will run without a locked in shoe/pedal combo. Same for any XC racer. However when the need for pedaling decreases and value of being attached to bike decreases. Look at Enduro and DH and it is either mixed or weight torward flats. The reason is pedaling performance is not as big of a factor. If you are doing dirt jumps or tricks it s all about style an feet off the pedals looks cooler.

    This really supports your experience although with more time on flats some of the climbing differences could change.

    My personal experice is that I only ride clipless. SPD for XC, Enduro, Road etc. Over the years I am very comfortable on them in all situations and in some technical climbing moves I have come to rely on them to be able to shift and control the bike under me and to able to pull up on pedals for that extra bit of power to lunge over rock ledge. I also ride Singlespeed and there I need clipless for really step moves in big gear. Funny what a little pulling can do when you are fully maxed out. I don't pull up normally however, just for key moves. They are also nice when spun out to keep my feet on the pedals at over 100 rpm.

    That said run what you like. Good riders can be fast and have fun on either pedals.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

  59. #159
    Thinking about riding.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,457
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Look at Enduro and DH and it is either mixed or weight torward flats.
    Maybe for casual riding, but in my experience it is weighted toward clipless when you talk about competitive racing in both disciplines... Certainly at the highest levels that's true.

  60. #160
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,733
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    Pretty sure he mentioned that date since that was when he started on clipless, not the date SPD pedals came out.
    Yes it looks as if your right..I clearly messed up on that one...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. thinking about clipping in
    By J Hartman in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-23-2012, 11:33 AM
  2. old egg beaters + new clips = difficulty clipping out?
    By mortgagejake in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-17-2012, 04:04 PM
  3. Help!I keep clipping trees
    By TheRed in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-04-2011, 06:29 AM
  4. computer experts? videos clipping
    By RTM in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-14-2011, 01:54 PM
  5. I want to start clipping in, but I don't want the special shoes.
    By package81 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-06-2011, 03:42 PM

Members who have read this thread: 370

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.