mtbr member

Chromag Skarab or DMR Vault

I've been using Spank Spike flats for the last 3 years and overall I am pretty happy with them. They have held up well with some TLC and have great grip and low profile. My only criticism are the bulge on the crank side and almost non-existing distance between crank and pedal body. This is often resulting in the side of my feet sticking out beyond the pedal body more than I would like.

Sooo, I am considering switching to Chromag Skarab or DMR Vaults. If there is anyone who may have spent some time on one or both of these pedals, would love to hear any feedback, pros and cons. Even better if anyone has also used the Spikes and is able to provide comparison. Thanks a bunch!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Having ridden/owned Point 1 Podium 2's, Canfield Crampons, VP Vices and 001's, Welgo MG-1's, HT AE03's, DMR V-12's and Vaults, the Vaults have proven to be best for me by far in terms of absolute grip. I LOVE their concave design and large platform. My feet are locked in on them. I know I've ridden some other popular pedals as well, but none have stood out like the Vaults. The only downside is they are a bit thick and I whack them on rocks a bit more than I'd care to. They also have a bit of spacing away from the crank that you are looking for and seem well built. I don't think you'd be disappointed at all.
    Trek Stache 7
    9:Zero:7 Whiteout
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Santa Cruz Bronson

mtbr member

Chromag Skarab or DMR Vault

ive been using these for the last few months (theyre great and only $18). basically theyre the Vaults but in plastic. their feel is nice. id get the Vaults. my last pedals were the Saints. too heavy and the axles kept loosening up... pima

Last edited by nauc; 11-10-2015 at 09:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback guys! Vault it is. Deep down that's what I wanted anyway, but then the Skarab caught my attention in the last few weeks and I threw it in the mix.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yeah, I was torn between some of the same pedals you are thinking of. Went with the DMR Vaults and have been very happy with them. High quality and got them for about a hundred bucks...
    "I think it's rad, when Balls beats Natural talent" - Shaun Palmer

mtbr member
    I've used the Vaults on half a dozen rides now and am very pleased. I think I like them better than my Spike pedals. Both pedals grip really well, but I seem to hit the sweet spot on the vaults more easily and the fact that my feet don't have to be so close to the cranks to hit the pedal sweet spot puts the Vaults ahead of the Spike pedals for me. That said the Spikes are pretty darn good and it may just boil down to personal preference.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I just switched to DMR vaults from Raceface and man the vaults keep you glued to the pedal. When I get some more cash I want to switch all my bikes over to the vault's. I haven't tried the Scarab's though.

Xer
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    Resurrecting this old thread for the sake of future googlers

I just switched from Vaults to Scarabs on my BMX race bike. I rode the Vaults very regularly for 7 months before switching a few days ago.

Vaults have fantastic grip and I never once slipped a pedal. I was wearing 5.10 Freeriders most of the time. The biggest downside and what made me switch was how specific I had to be about positioning my foot on the pedal in order to get the proper pedal feel. I think the taller pins and narrower body of the pedal requires more precise foot placement, especially since it is hard to move your foot once you put it down.

Enter the Scarab. It's so easy to drop your foot on this pedal and it feels good. Maybe because the body of the pedal where your foot touches is wider than the Vault. The Scarab does have shorter and duller pins so you aren't glued the same as the Vaults, but the grip is still very good with my 5.10 shoes. Whether you're getting in the gate for a race or hitting a jump for fun, you don't want to be fidgeting with your foot trying to find just the right spot. You wanna put it down and go. In my riding on the Scarabs so far, that's how it feels.

A really good comparison is at https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Vi...at-Pedals,1485 . They've got all the stats on lots of pedals. This review is what originally drove me to the Vaults. But after all that analysis, the immeasurable but eminently tangible "pedal feel" put the Scarab on top for me.

At some point I might also like to try out the Diety T-MAC. When I was pedal shopping, these also stood out as having a very good feel, though not quite as good as the Scarab.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I have the purple TMacs on my SC. LOVE them. Grippy as all hell and a big platform. Price sucks, but they're well made.
    2019 Santa Cruz 5010 Carbon C. R Build, in Purple
    2018 Specialized Pitch Comp

mtbr member
    Big fan of vaults and use them on all of my bikes, but have looked at a few different pedals just have not tried anything else since I switched over to the vaults.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Ignore, can't delete for some reason.
    2019 Santa Cruz 5010 Carbon C. R Build, in Purple
    2018 Specialized Pitch Comp