Chromag Rootdown or Commencal Meta HT AM Frame- Mtbr.com
    Trail Bomber
    Sep 2013

Chromag Rootdown or Commencal Meta HT AM Frame

I am looking for a suitable replacement for my Fuse frame. The Fuse is currently built up with a 160mm Ohlins RXF36, SRAM Codes, and GX Eagle. The bike ride great, but over-forking 40mm can takes it toll, and some of the ride characteristics have have changes for the worse lol, but I love how I can rail all my favorite steep nasty trains on it compared to having a 120mm fork on it, which leads me to believe getting a frame that is a little more intentional towards a 160 fork and aggressive angles would be more suitable, plus, specialized colors suck. Anyhow, I have BB30 XO cranks on the Fuse I would like to bring over to the new frame, and the Chromag is BB92, which is a hang up. I had a friend who built up the Commencal and loved it, what do you all think between these bikes?I am also open to a different frame, trying to keep my budgets below $750 for the frame, needs to accept a 160mm fork (ohlins cannot change travel), and needs to be pretty rowdy! Thanks.
    2018 Banshee Rune
    2019 Commencal Meta HT AM
    2016 Specialized Fuse
    2013 Raleigh RX

Trail Bomber
    Sep 2013
    *crickets*
    2018 Banshee Rune
    2019 Commencal Meta HT AM
    2016 Specialized Fuse
    2013 Raleigh RX

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Iím in the same spot, I have a 16 fuse in small and want to move up to a medium frame .. Iíve been looking at the Kona big Honzo frame or Nukeproof scout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Not sure what you mean by bb30 XO cranks...
    If they are SRAM they are most likely gxp, are they not? At least with eagle cranks, they are gxp (or dub, if they are really new I guess). Either way doesn't matter. Just buy a gxp bottom bracket for the new frame and call is a day.

I moved a set of gxp cranks originally from a frame with a 73mm thread bottom bracket over to my rootdown, no prob. Just need to buy the appropriate bottom bracket. Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

former lurker
    Jun 2018
    +1 for Chromag. I ride a 2017 Rootdown BA, 160 fork and 27.5+. If I have a mechanical on my 140/150 29er, the Chromag can fill in and not hold me back.

FWIW, it's my third BB92 bike. I expected BB problems with each one (because of the internet), but every drivetrain creak turned out to be the freehub/cassette interface needing grease and/or torque.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    If I were to build a AM type of HT again i'd go Bird Zero AM Boost for 650b or Zero 29. Used to have the AM non-boost version but stripped the bike down and sold the frame to build a FS (still Bird).
    I've also owned a Commencal Meta HT which was a good bike but if you like to point your bars down the Zero AM is the way to go. With their long reach you stand more "in the bike" and that gives you an awsome neutral and confidence boosting ride.
    Just go for it