chainguide on a 2008 reign- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

chainguide on a 2008 reign

Im getting a reign1, coming from my STP2 im used to 2 ring plus bashguard, so im thinking of getting a chainguide such as a stinger or truvativ shift guide or dewlie.
    Has anyone tried a dewlie with a 2008 reign?

Also will a 22/32 be high enough gearing for the downhills? and would the front durailler still work fine with 22/36?

Cheers, Ironzep

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    the new gamut
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have a dual ring guide on my 2008 Giant. The 2008 frames are more accommodating of chain devices than the previous years. I still had to do some filing to make the guide fit.

In terms of front chain rings. 24/36 ring set-ups are available from Tru-Vativ. The crank/chain ring companies actually design a given chain ring to work with a specific size smaller ring.

I think the new Saint cranks have a 22/36 set-up, and a front derailleur optimized for that jump.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ironzep
    Im getting a reign1, coming from my STP2 im used to 2 ring plus bashguard, so im thinking of getting a chainguide such as a stinger or truvativ shift guide or dewlie.
    Has anyone tried a dewlie with a 2008 reign?

Also will a 22/32 be high enough gearing for the downhills? and would the front durailler still work fine with 22/36?

Cheers, Ironzep
    My 2 cents...
    I have a E13 DRS on my Faith. I also have a stinger on my wifes IH MK3. It works well. She loves it. I like the Dewlie but have been also eyeing the "DEWLITE". A little less weight.

I also have a 22/32 on my "Trail" bike but I also have 22/36 on my Faith. I like the extra range it gives me going downhill but I also like to climb in 32/34 on the trail bike. it's a bit too much stress on my knees in 36/34.
    I'd say if you climb a bunch stick with a 22/32. It's more than adequate.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a Stinger with Hone 22/34 front (I swapped from 32), 11-34 rear on my Reign X which gives me plenty of gears without added much weight.

Members who have read this thread: 0