Na
    Aug 2018

New question here. Chain thingy holder

What is this component called? Its before the derailer that keeps the chain from bouncing and it has a wheel, norcos use to have this but i cannot find a bike with it. Also shouldn't this come standard to keep the chain in place from bouncing to all hell?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Are you talking about a chainguide with rollers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Na
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropper View Post
    Are you talking about a chainguide with rollers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sure am. Ty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmyk View Post
    Also shouldn't this come standard to keep the chain in place from bouncing to all hell?
    You don't see chain guides like that much anymore because of clutch derailleurs (since 2012ish?) keep the chain under better control, and narrow-wide chain rings keep the chain in place on 1X drivetrain.

That kind of guide is also very noisy and has a lot of frictional loss.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Elitest thrill junkie
    In 4 years of DH, XC and enduro racing (basically since I started buying bikes with clutch derailleurs), I've dropped the chain about 4 times. One was a large stick in between the chain and chainring, one was due to a derailleur that came loose, two were on a recent race though and the reason that happened was I let my chainring wear down, it was about 2 years old. Replaced and everything is back to normal. Chains do not fall off like they used to, the combination of the derailleur and the narrow-wide ring does an amazing job all by itself. I do plenty of DH/enduro stuff in nasty terrain or at the park and the only situation where I'd want a chain guide is a full-on DH bike, such as 8" of travel front and rear. Only then would I deem it worth it for a little added insurance.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I had a bike that dropped it's chain on one trails 50% of the time. Not even a rough trail, and never dropped the chain anywhere else. If you really need one try something simple.

https://www.oneupcomponents.com/collections/chainguide

https://www.mrpbike.com/shop/#!/1X-C...ategory=661403
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    My last bike kept dropping the chain, so I got the MRP chain guide/bashguard on my new bike for added security.

It's definitely in the want category, rather than a need. Just be ready for the no vasoline approach on the prices. For what they are, they are horribly expensive.

Na
    Aug 2018
    Thanks to all for input amd links and stories on what to use.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GKelley View Post
    My last bike kept dropping the chain, so I got the MRP chain guide/bashguard on my new bike for added security.

It's definitely in the want category, rather than a need. Just be ready for the no vasoline approach on the prices. For what they are, they are horribly expensive.
    Blackspire has some at reasonable prices.

Yeah, I'm that a$$hole.
    One thing to keep in mind also with regards to full capture chainguides like the one pictured above, NOISE. Especially with todays 12sp wide range cassettes, the chain will rub a lot and it's frustrating as hell. I used to be a huge proponent of full guides, until I recently bought a new bike with SRAM Eagle 12sp and no matter how things were adjusted it just wouldn't stop rubbing at some point, making all kinds of racket. So off it went into the part bin to be replaced with a OneUp Bash Guide. Unless you have an older drivetrain, I wouldn't bother, the rubbing noise will make up for the chain slap.

Like others have said with todays NW chainrings, all you need maybe is a top guide and bashguard like the one below.
    Chain thingy holder-oneup-components-iscg-05-bash-guide-32t-green-black.jpg

If your still insistent on going with a full guide, I have an MRP G4 Mini (32-36) I'll let go pretty cheap.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5C
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I've got a Blackspire bash and guide that I'll sell you cheap.
    I used it on a 2x9 set up and it worked flawlessly; no noise, no lost chains. Friction? I guess physics tells me that it's there but I never noticed it.
    You need ISCG tabs.
    Let me know if interested.